Headaches range from slight pain from eye strain to massive, debilitating migraines that sideline victims for days on end. When the throbbing pain takes over some headache sufferers prefer to opt for natural relief over another pill or capsule with limited effectiveness. Find out which essential oil for headaches is the best.
Essential Oils to the Rescue
In addition to stress reduction techniques, staying hydrated, and getting enough sleep, using essential oils may provide fast, natural relief for headache pain without undesirable side effects.
Which essential oil for headaches work best? Fortunately, there are a number of effective essential oils that will work quickly to relieve the pain.
Which Essential Oil for Headaches Should You Use
The types of headaches are as varied as the essential oils that can help relieve. For some, the incessant pounding between the ears is the result of high stress situations, or emotional triggers. For others, it is dietary changes, like the effects of laying off caffeine or sugar, that bring on the pain. Still, other headaches are caused by physical conditions like dehydration or low blood sugar. High blood pressure can bring on the pain, too.
How to Use Essential Oils for Headaches
In order to enjoy the relief an essential oil can provide from headache pain, you must first understand how to safely deliver the healing properties.
Essential oils can be applied topically. However, you should always dilute the pure essential oil with a carrier oil like sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, or standard olive oil. A good rule of thumb is to dilute the essential oil to the carrier oil at a ratio of one drop to 18 drops. Apply the diluted essential oil to the temples or the forehead.
Another method involves placing the essential oil in a diffuser and allowing the aroma to fill the space around you. Diffusers come in different varieties. Some are powered by electricity while others use the indirect heat of a tea light candle. If you find yourself without a diffuser, simply apply a drop or two on a cotton ball and breathe in slowly.
What Essential Oils to Use
While there are a number of essential oils, chamomile is one of the most effective. Specifically, chamomile is widely known for its calming effect and is often used in teas and in other preparations. Chamomile is an anti inflammatory which may help further treat headache pain.
Editor’s Pick for Chamomile Essential Oil:
- 100% Pure & Natural Roman Chamomile Essential Oil - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- Don't Fall Victim To Cheap Diluted Roman Chamomile Oil - Most of the competition dilute their oil with a cheap carrier oil or even other potentially dangerous chemicals. Our roman chamomile oil is routinely tested for purity and other unique qualities in order to ensure you are buying the purest oil available
- Most 4 Ounce Roman Chamomile Oils Contain Less Than 1/3 Of Natural Oil - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% oil, however it's usually only 1/3 of the natural oil and 2/3 carrier oil.
Like chamomile, lavender has anti inflammatory properties. Lavender also soothes tight nerves and provides an almost sedating effect.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
Peppermint works to relax and uplift. Peppermint oil can be quite intense but can provide an invigorating relief from headache and muscle pain.
Editor’s Pick for Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Peppermint Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Peppermint essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Peppermint oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Peppermint products.
Another relaxing and uplifting oil is spearmint. Spearmint is as effective as peppermint but packs less of an intense punch for sensitive users.
Editor’s Pick for Spearmint Essential Oil:
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Spearmint Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Spearmint essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Spearmint oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Spearmint products.
Eucalyptus works in multiple ways. As an anti inflammatory it can help ease headache symptoms. Eucalyptus also works to open nasal passages and ease congestion.
Editor’s Pick for Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
- Highest Quality Pure & Natural Eucalyptus Essential Oil - Our Eucalyptus Oil is 100% pure, undiluted, all-natural, and therapeutic grade. Every drop of this Eucalyptus essential oil is steam-extracted right from the source without any additives or harmful chemicals.
- Gc-ms Tested for Purity & Dilution - Every batch of our eucalyptus essential oil is tested using a a type of testing called "gcms". This ensures the essential oil's authenticity and purity. These test results are publicly available on the manufacturers website.
- Bottled in a 10ml Glass Bottle with Built-In Eyedropper - All of our essential oils are bottled in an amber glass bottle right here in the USA. It also has a built in Euro style eyedropper for easy pouring and application.
It is important to check with your healthcare provider for any concerns before using essential oils. Refer to packaging instructions or expert advice for specific uses and dilution ratios. Be aware that applying certain oils directly to the skin can cause burning and irritation. Never consume essential oils.