If your skin is prone to having eczema breakouts, there is a lot you can do to relieve the itching and irritation. Along with avoiding harsh soaps and other skin irritants, there are creams, lotions and medications you can apply to your skin to keep breakouts at bay. Certain types of essential oils have also been known to help. Essential oils contain concentrated levels of healing chemicals and enzymes that are contained within the plants and herbs the oil is prepared from.
The most natural, or organic, forms of essential oils are of better quality, although they cost more. To discover what essential oil is good for eczema, you will need to experiment and find what works best for you.
As a disclaimer, while we do our best to make sure all info is accurate, check with your healthcare provider before attempting any new treatment.
Lavender oil has a delightful and potent fragrance, and the fragrance is almost as powerful as its bacteria-killing power. This is precisely what makes it so effective for treating acne as well as eczema, which has some similarities to severe acne breakouts. To apply to your skin, you need to mix any kind of essential oil with a carrier oil, such as coconut or olive oil. In this case, coconut oil is a better option because it has similar antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Essential oil made from lavender also has anti-fungal properties in it. It’s also been used to treat skin problems like psoriasis, seborrhea, and sunburn.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
#2 Soothe Eczema with Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory, and not just when applied to the skin. It’s also known as a potent analgesic or pain reliever. This has been scientifically proven, not just theory. Wounds, skin infections and other skin conditions are treated with it. Use it the same way you would use the lavender essential oil; dilute it with a carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil.
Editor’s Pick for Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
- The most Unique and Amazing Smelling Eucalyptus on the market, in our opinion. If you are not absolutely amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- Superior Experience: If you are just trying our Eucalyptus for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- Pure + Rigorous Quality Testing & Controls: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001, and Kosher certified. Make sure all oils you buy have these qualifications * Check out our reviews!! * In our opinion our oil is superior to organic and the most rare, best smelling, and most therapeutically effective of all Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
#3 Tea Tree Essential Oil Relieves Itching
If your eczema is extremely itchy, tea tree essential oil might be your preferred option. If you’ve never heard of the tea tree, it’s scientific name is Melaleuca alternifolia. This tree is native to Australia and has been used by the natives of this region for healing wounds and sores far before colonialism began.
Tea tree essential oil is very potent, so be careful when using it for the first time. Dilute it with a carrier oil, as formerly mentioned. Tea tree oil has strong anti-viral properties. Rubbing it into cracked or broken skin can prevent infection and bring almost instant relief from intense itching.
Editor’s Pick for Tea Tree Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC Tea Tree Essential oil, 100% Pure and Natural. Produced through steam distillation of Hand Picked, fresh Tea Tree leaves.
- LARGE 4 oz Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
#4 Peppermint Oil Cools
Peppermint oil has soothing and anti-inflammatory effects when applied directly to the skin. It’s also anti-fungal and antimicrobial characteristics, making it a common treatment for skin problems like eczema. The power within peppermint essential oil is the menthol it contains. The menthol will cool and soothe the skin quickly and encourage it to recover faster. It can relieve the itching that occurs frequently very fast. It’s also a great antiseptic, and this can help reduce the intensity and frequency of flareups.
Editor’s Pick for Peppermint Essential Oil:
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and harvested ingredients, we think you will agree that our oils are by far the most effective on the market - a wonderful smell that can't be beat!
- SUN PROVIDES THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS - Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but we believe our oils to be the best and will provide anyone who doesn't feel the same way with an 100% pure, unconditional manufacturer refund, anytime. We think you will feel that you have never smelled an oil this wonderful...and that after you have smelled this oil other brands may have a distinct alcohol or chemical smell with a 'dry' scent and noticeable lack of depth.
- LOVE THE SMELL AND FEEL GREAT - Fatigue and irritability are often a result of many factors that are difficult to pinpoint. Clear your mind and relax with the wonderful smell of Peppermint
Before you use any essential oil, be sure that you are not allergic to the plant or the oil. It’s great to discover what essential oil is good for eczema but make sure first that you’re not allergic to it. Essential oils can cause rashes to develop on the skins of people who are allergic. If you are not sure, ask your doctor. Some simple skin tests can be conducted to find out if you are allergic.