Vicks vapor rub is known to provide relief from many ailments and aches.
Perhaps a stuffy nose, chest congestion, or even muscle pain.
However, curious individuals would want to know if Vicks can be effective for skin care, specifically for treating dark spots.
Vicks Vapor Rub For Dark Spots: How Can It Be Used On The Skin?
Vicks vapor rub is typically applied on the surface of the skin to relieve colds and chest congestion.
This topical liniment is known to provide a cool sensation and vapors known to dry up mucus and reduce the irritation of nasal passages.
Since Vicks vapor rub is already used on the skin, many would wonder if the ingredients of this liniment are effective for treating skin problems.
Coincidentally, the Vicks ingredients below are beneficial for the skin:
- Eucalyptus: This ingredient is anti-inflammatory in nature. If you suffer from newly formed dark spots, the eucalyptus from Vicks may help in reducing the appearance of skin lesions such as stretch marks.
- Camphor: Camphor is another ingredient in Vicks that is anti-inflammatory and known in the natural remedy community as an acne-buster. Thus, putting camphor combined with eucalyptus may increase the effectiveness of fading out scars.
Some people swear by applying a thin layer of Vicks once or twice a day on their scars with positive results.
Most recommend only applying Vicks when there are no open wounds, as menthol and camphor feel harsh and can be dangerous on broken skin.
Nevertheless, a lot of articles point to this natural remedy being effective for dark pigmentation.
What Are The Possible Downsides?
Despite the mentioned substances that may make Vicks vapor rub an effective remedy for dark spots, there is also another ingredient that could become a culprit of more scarring, which is why some people should take a moderate approach when trying this remedy.
Petroleum jelly is what gives Vicks its texture.
The greasy texture, when applied on the skin can cause blocked pores, acne, and potential scars.
If you have a sensitive or oily skin, using Vicks on your face to remove dark spots may not be effective.
Nevertheless, if you aren’t acne-prone, you can try this remedy for a couple of days.
How Do I Begin This Remedy?
Vicks vapor rub for dark spots may be uncommon, but it doesn’t hurt to try if you don’t have allergies, open wounds, or acne-prone.
To begin the remedy, you can follow these steps:
- Clean your face or body part with soap and water, making sure to remove excess oil.
- Apply a thin layer of Vicks on the area of the dark spot, and wait to see if there’s a reaction. If there’s any itching, pain, or negative side effect, stop your use and consult a physician when necessary.
- Do this daily at least once or twice a day, and take note of the results.
Dark spots can be difficult to remove–and oftentimes experts tell us that the only thing that completely heals these unsightly pigmentations is time.
However, it can be helpful to try some remedies such as Vicks vapor rub to hasten the process.