Keratosis pilaris, known as the “chicken skin” is a common skin condition that affects men, women and children.
It can appear on the buttock, thighs, cheeks, arms or one’s face.
But keratosis pilaris, KP for short, is harmless. It does not cause physical pain; only make one’s skin to feel like sandpaper.
The small and hard bumps that generally appear on the skin also make the affected area to look more repulsive. But this condition doesn’t get worse. It only itches a bit.
However, even though keratosis pilaris does not cause pain or get worse, it’s still a skin condition that no one would like to have.
Now how can one manage this incurable skin condition? We will look at the possible products to use shortly.
Best Body Washes for Keratosis Pilaris – Our Top 10
The buildup of keratin, a protein whose primary duty is to protect your skin from any infection, is what causes keratosis pilaris.
But here is the thing, having dry skin increases your chances of developing this incurable skin condition.
But impressively, there are numerous dermatologist-recommended body washes and soaps that exfoliate, moisturize, nourish and can help you manage this skin condition well.
However, there are tons of body washes and soaps out there. But after a series of in-depth research and consideration of the constituents of each product, we were able to identify the best body washes for keratosis pilaris. Let’s take a look at each of them.
#1 CeraVe Body Wash
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6 II) that help restore and maintain its natural protective barrier
- [ PATENTED TECHNOLOGY ] Utilizes patented MVE controlled release technology to help replenish ceramides and deliver long lasting moisturization
- [ SKIN SMOOTHING FORMULA ] Salicylic Acid Helps exfoliate and soften essential in smoothing rough skin while Niacinamide calms skin
The CeraVe is another highly-rated body wash for keratosis pilaris. The formula contains numerous ingredients which have all been scientifically proven to be useful for KP treatment.
There is salicylic acid in the product’s formula, which is a well-known therapeutic cleanser.
SA (salicylic acid) will remove every dead cell from your skin and unclog blocked hair follicles to leave your skin with a youthful glow.
This body wash is also non-comedogenic, parabens and fragrance-free. Another thing that sets the product apart is that there are no traces of microbeads, a constituent that can irritate over time.
CeraVe can also perform to capacity on all skin types. It’s also safe for your skin, too.
The niacinamide in this formula is beneficial to the skin in numerous ways. It not only can enhance your skin’s collagen but has some incredible anti-inflammatory properties.
This component in the product helps to discourage excess keratin production in people who are already battling with keratosis pilaris. And, it will leave your skin feeling much smoother when
used over time.
The patented MVE (Multivesicular Emulsion) technology in this product will allow it to release its ingredient slowly and deeply into your skin. And this will keep you moisturized for hours.
Your skin’s natural barrier and nutrient content will be replenished when you use this body wash over time.
#2 GLYTONE KP Kit
- Medical grade cosmeceutical
- Glytone uses free unbuffered glycolic acid- effective for skin rejuvenation
This Glytone KP kit claims to work wonders on the skin. And, looking at the ingredients in the product’s formula, one can say it is worth the hype.
The Glytone KP contains a rich combination of numerous ingredients, combined to help you manage keratosis pilaris successfully.
Here is another thing that sets this product apart. The kit comes with a highly-rated exfoliating body wash, a bath pouf and a lotion. And looking at the list of items, it is safe to say that the product is worth the money.
But it’s not just the price tag but effectiveness of the product that catches the eye. It contains glycolic acid, which has the power to exfoliate and unclog the pores on your hair follicles, thus paving the way for the lotion to act more effectively.
The lotion is also a bit thicker and helps to continue the shedding of the skin once applied. And in addition to glycolic acid, the lotion comes packed with Shea butter to reduce inflammation and redness of the affected area on your skin.
Also, after applying the Glytone KP lotion, try to put on your clothes or something to cover the area. You are doing this to prevent the skin from drying out, and ensure the moisturizer does not evaporate.
Another reason to cover the affected area is to allow glycolic acid to enter deep into your delicate skin to tackle your skin condition more effectively.
#3 Touch Keratosis Pilaris Body Wash Cleanser
- EXFOLIATING BODY WASH FOR CLEAR SKIN: A foaming, sulfate free keratosis pilaris & acne body wash made with 15% glycolic acid and 2% salicylic acid, proven to exfoliate and clear your skin. Formulated with a pH of 3.5 to allow for more “free acids” to work on your skin. The Original KP Exfoliating Body Wash. No harmful beads or alcohols.
- SMOOTH SKIN WITH NO REDNESS: Our Keratosis Pilaris treatment has two key ingredients: glycolic acid (AHA) that exfoliates away surface bumps and oil soluble salicylic acid (BHA) which goes deep into your pores and hair follicles to target the source of KP and acne, reducing inflammation and redness.
- SKIN SOOTHING INGREDIENTS: Prevent irritation and keep your skin soft and moisturized with Aloe Vera, Gotu Kola (contains Asiatic acid an anti-inflammatory and collagen stimulating agent), and Vitamin E with powerful antioxidants that help protect your skin.
Touch Keratosis, a multi-functional body wash cleanser, is another popular product used for KP and acne treatment.
And there are no doubts that this product can perform as claimed, looking at the various ingredients that it has.
First, it is sulfate-free. So it’s safe for your skin. The Touch Keratosis can also exfoliate your skin without causing it to dry out.
It has no drying alcohols, phthalates or irritants such as parabens that can harm your skin or make you uncomfortable.
The product contains proven ingredients like salicylic acid, aloe vera, glycolic acid, and a host of others.
And while the aloe Vera causes your skin to become soft and well-moisturized, glycolic acid ensures that excess oil and surface bumps are wiped off your skin entirely.
The low pH value also causes it to work a bit faster. It creates room for free acids to perform their duties on your skin.
So, bear in mind that you may start seeing tangible results within the first week or so of using this product.
#4 Keratone KP Body Wash
- DEEP EXFOLIATION TO SMOOTH KP BUMPS- Formulated with concentrated 10% Glycolic Acid this KP body wash exfoliates skin to reduce Keratosis Pilaris redness, bumps, and irritation over time.
- REDUCES KP REDNESS AND SKIN AGITATION- Keratone Body Wash clears skin redness giving you healthy, smooth skin.
- NO WEIRD FRAGRANCES AND GENTLE ON YOUR SKIN- Unlike other KP Body Washes that have unbearble fake smells and lots of chemicals, Keratone uses lots of natural ingredients to compliment the exfoliating Glycolic Acid. Apricot Kernel Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Aloe, Organic Gotu Kola work to rejuvenate your skin and leave it softer than ever.
If you need a body wash that can provide deep exfoliation, the Keratone Body Wash will make a wise choice. This formula can give the performance and result that you seek.
It comes formulated with 10% glycolic acid, making it a powerful exfoliant.
The Keratone KP Body Wash will help to reduce the small hard bumps, redness and irritation on your skin, without causing any damage whatsoever.
This product also contains natural ingredients that could benefit your skin immensely. But you need to use continuously to start getting the benefits.
This body wash features organic components like Gotu Kola, jojoba oil, apricot kernel oil and organic aloe, which combines well to tackle keratosis pilaris.
The apricot kernel oil in the formula gets into one’s skin quickly and comes loaded with vitamin E, A and fatty acid to help nourish and moisturize your skin.
You should also know that this product does not contain any trace of harmful chemicals. It is free of parabens, phthalates, PEGs, and colorants, among others.
#5 BumpKlear Bumpy Skin Wash
- REDUCE APPEARANCE OF SYMPTOMS OF KERATOSIS PILARIS: BumpKlear Skin Wash is specially designed to reduce the appearance of redness & bumps from keratosis pilaris & help smooth & soften rough, dry skin.
- EXFOLIANT BODY WASH: Formulated with alpha & beta hydroxy acids to help gently exfoliate & smooth rough, dry, bumpy skin. Our dermatologist-recommended wash leaves your skin feeling softer & looking healthier
- WINNING COMBINATION: BumpKlear Skin Wash softens & smoothes with aloe & Vitamin E combined with AHA & BHA. For best results use with BumpKlear Skin Lotion for everyday care of rough, bumpy skin
The BumpKlear Skin Wash comes loaded with components that you would want in any top quality body wash for keratosis pilaris.
It contains exfoliants, oatmeal, aloe, alpha & beta hydroxyl acids, vitamin E and D. And they are all beneficial and active for managing the skin condition.
But then, the constituents or effectiveness are not the only factors that set this body wash apart.
It does come in a bigger bottle that should serve you for a while and is also budget-friendly, too.
The dermatologist-recommended alpha and beta hydroxyl acids in the formula work wonder for KP treatment. They both combine to dislodge and help to eliminate keratin plugs from your hair follicles.
BumpKlear will also leave your skin feeling smooth and soft, thanks to the oatmeal in the formula.
The oatmeal works as a powerful exfoliating agent that wipes out dead skin cells and leaves your skin well-nourished.
It also locks in moisture in the skin to help hide patches and bumps on your skin.
#6 Mario Badescu Botanical Soap
- Excellent choice for those with problem skin on the back, chest and shoulders
- The AHA Body Soap Provides skin with a kick of gentle exfoliation
- The unique blend of fresh fruit extracts rejuvenates the skin by helping remove pore-clogging buildup and brighten uneven skin tone
This company is among those that have been in the industry for many years. And one reason they have remained in business for such a long time is the quality of the products they deliver.
The Mario Badescu Botanical Soap is one of the most widely used keratosis pilaris treatment products on the market. It also works for KP and acne skin conditions.
The papaya and grape extract are noteworthy additions in this product. The grape seed extract, for instance, has some proven anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. It also can regulate the buildup of oil in the skin’s pores and improve your skin texture.
Ginseng, a brilliant complexion booster, is also among the natural ingredient in this product. It’s rich in minerals, vitamins and antioxidants.
It also can remove dead cells from your skin to create healthy new ones.
However, the non-comedogenic and clean-rinsing properties make this product a wise choice for acne and KP treatments.
#7 Zakia’s Moroccan Black Soap
- Moroccan Black Soap - the classic olive oil soap
- Luxuriously soft soap for silky, smooth skin
- 100% pure, natural and traditional - Easy to use wide mouth top
This detoxifying soap comes packed with all-natural ingredients and serves multiple functions. Be it keratosis pilaris, eczema or acne, the Moroccan Black Soap can help you to tackle them head-on.
The formula contains 100% pure and natural ingredients. You are also free to combine it with other skin products without fear of a possible reaction or damage to your skin.
The Moroccan Black Soap has no traces of parabens, PEGs, synthetic colorants, triclosan or other foaming and wetting agents. It’s natural as claimed and safe for your delicate skin.
Argan and olive oils are among the natural ingredients you will find in this product. And looking at other components in the formula, you will understand why this formula is suitable for all skin types.
The argan oil comes packed with omega fatty acids, linoleic acids, and vitamin E. And together, they help to moisturize and soften dry patches on KP affected the skin.
In addition to argan and olive oils, other proven ingredients in this soap make it a highly-rated product for treating diverse skin conditions.
#8 Aspen Kay Naturals Dead Sea Mud Soap
- MADE WITH ORGANIC SKIN LOVING OILS: Organic Unrefined Shea Butter, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Sustainable Palm Oil and Organic Castor Oil.
- FOR ALL SKIN TYPES. Use as a face soap, body soap or shaving soap. For men, women and teens. Can be used to help with Acne, Eczema and Psoriasis
- NATURALLY SCENTED With Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils Of Lemongrass, Peppermint and Eucalyptus
The Aspen Kay Naturals is another beneficial soap, as far as keratosis pilaris treatment is concerned.
First, it comes packed with natural ingredients — no harmful chemicals or preservatives.
The Dead Sea mineral and mud in this product work wonders on the skin. The Dead Sea contains essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, iodine, potassium, which helps to boost the skin’s ability to retain moisture.
So this product comes fortified with proven ingredients that can make your skin healthier and silky smooth. You can use as shaving, body or face soap, too.
Among the natural ingredients in this product, you will find certified organic sunflower, virgin olive oil, castor bean oil and palm oil. And they are all considered beneficial for KP treatment and give you healthy-looking skin.
The organic sunflower, for instance, is absorbed into the skin quickly. And it repairs the moisture barrier of the skin and enhances its softness over time.
#9 SAL3 Salicylic Acid Sulfur Soap
- Advanced collodial sulfur based wash. Natural fresh scent. Zero perfumes. There is absolutely no fragrance added. The scent of the bar is from the proprietary stage process used with natural ingredients.
- Premium ingredients: 10% Sulfur, 3% Salicylic Acid
- Besides acne, scalp and body wash, also ideal wash for Tinea Versicolor, Dermatomycosis furfuracea, Pityriasis versicolor, Tinea flava
The SAL3 shows some effective keratolytic action when used on a KP affected skin. It also lathers easily, thanks to its cocamide DEA constituent, which helps to boost foaming properties and bind the ingredients together.
Keratolytics enhances typically the skin’s ability to bind moisture, which is what this body wash does. Hence it is useful for the treatment of dry skin conditions like KP.
It has 3% salicylic acid and 10% sulfur, making it a superior formula for KP treatment. Sulfur discourages the clogging of the skin’s pores, as well as the formation of hard and unattractive bumps that KP creates.
The product also serves multiple purposes. Besides treating acne and keratosis pilaris, SAL3 also tackles itchy skin, tinea Flava, dermatitis, eczema, head lice, jock itch, and other skin conditions.
It comes fortified with palm kernel oils, a constituent with attractive antioxidant properties. Others ingredients in the formula include glycerin, lanolin, cocamide DEA, which are healthy for your skin.
Also, it is advisable for individuals using this product, to begin with, a single application daily. If there is no excessive dryness afterwards, then you can increase it to twice daily and so on.
#10 Puracy Natural Body Wash
- The Puracy Difference: Join the 10+ million enjoying our award-winning, plant-powered personal care, baby care, and household cleaning products
- 99.3% Plant-Powered: Vegan cleansers create rich, luxurious foam; fruit and vegetable-derived moisturizers hydrate; sea salt purifies and balances; 100% clean rinsing, pH balanced (5.5)
- For Men and Women: A daily full body cleanser for all skin types; Leaves your skin feeling silky smooth, soft, and clean; Citrus and Sea Salt: Sun-ripened citrus groves with a gentle breeze of ocean air
After many months of research, a team of doctors were able to arrive at a formula for treating keratosis pilaris and other skin conditions.
They produced Puracy Natural Body Wash, an all-natural body wash, designed for men and women.
There are numerous powerful ingredients in this highly-rated body wash. An example is sodium methyl cocoyl taurate, which acts as a surfactant and foaming agent.
And coupled with the addition of citrus acid, this plant-based body wash is sure to leave your skin with a youthful glow.
The citrus acid helps to eliminate dead cells from the skin and speeds up the regeneration of new cells.
This formula also comes fortified with vegetable glycerine to help regulate oil production and nourish your skin. It also soothes itching, dryness and unclogs congested pores.
However, the only drawback is that this product does have a little bit of masculine smell. But the impressive thing is the scent won’t stay on you.
How to Easily Manage Keratosis Pilaris
The good news for KP sufferers is that the condition is not impossible to treat or manage. But being aware of things that can encourage the development of this skin condition is the first thing to consider.
That said clogged hair follicles could create room for keratosis pilaris to develop on your skin. The condition can also appear on the areas of your skin that are excessively dry.
Here are simple steps to manage KP (keratosis pilaris):
Use a body wash with powerful exfoliating ingredients – You can choose body washes made of exfoliants like beta and hydroxyl acids. But ensure to use a moisturizer afterwards. Some of the top ingredients to watch out for in your body wash or cream include salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and lactic acid.
Avoid UV rays – After using salicylic acid or other powerful exfoliators, ensure you don’t expose your skin to the scorching heat of the sun.
Change your loofah, sponge or washcloth often – These scrubs can harbor bacterial when used for too long. So ensure you change them frequently, don’t use for too long. Replace your natural loofah at most ever 3-4 weeks. The plastic ones can last for at least 4 months.
Choosing the Best Body Washes for Keratosis Pilaris
Keratosis pilaris is a skin condition you can manage easily. There are also tons of products out there you can use. But this list contains highly-rated body washes that not only help to exfoliate, moisturize, and nourish your skin. They also do not contain toxic chemicals that can bring harm to your skin.
So, is keratosis pilaris making life unbearable for you? If yes, then make a wise decision today! Start using the best body washes for keratosis pilaris right away.