Do you suffer from “trigger finger?” If so, you know just how painful the condition can be.
Trigger finger is clinically known as Stenosing Tenosynovitis. It’s a relatively common disorder that causes routine locking or catching of the finger impacted by the disorder. When this happens, severe pain can occur in the knuckles and/or palm of the affected hand.
The term “trigger finger” was given to the condition because of the popping sound that’s made by the finger when it’s moved. The thumb and ring finger are most commonly affected.
If you’re looking for the best essential oils for trigger finger, you’re covered here.
How to treat your condition naturally with essential oils for trigger finger
#1 Frankincense Oil
Frankincense is probably best known for its use during Biblical times due to its many uses for a wide array of ailments. For trigger finger, Frankincense will aid in reducing inflammation significantly due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Specifically, Frankincense will reduce inflammation of your flexor tendon sheath. That’s what tightens around your flexor tendon and doesn’t allow your tendon to freely glide as it should when you suffer from trigger finger.
This further damages the tendon as it begins to tear while trying to flow through your tendon sheath.
To use Frankincense, mix a few drops with coconut oil. You’ll want to use coconut because it has properties that reduce inflammation and swelling as well. Rub directly into the affected area.
Editor’s Pick for Frankincence Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE & NATURAL FRANKINCENSE OIL- Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!! Many oils being sold online make that claim but are in fact made of natural isolates and mixtures. Each essential oil is tested by an independent lab for its constituents which is why every bottle comes with a Quality Guaranty.
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential Oils are tested by an independent lab to test the efficacy of each oil. Each oil is tested for its constituents as well as to have no fillers, additives and to be undiluted.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE W/ PREMIUM GLASS DROPPER - Our Frankincense Essential Oil comes in an amber glass bottle to keep out UV rays and protect the oil against sunlight. We also provide a Glass Dropper so you can get the exact amount of oil you need without any waste.
#2 Lavender Oil
Lavender is an extremely versatile essential oil. It has strong analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that make it a go-to for severe tendon pain.
In a very unofficial study, one individual that suffers from trigger finger finds incredible success using lavender with peppermint oil. Here is what this person has to say about their experience:
“Before using essential oils on my trigger finger thumbs, they’d painfully lock up almost every day. After using lavender and peppermint oils, I couldn’t believe the relief. I’d rub a few drops of lavender directly at the base of the thumb for two or three minutes. Then I’d follow with a couple of drops of peppermint oil at the same location. Since utilizing lavender and peppermint oils for my trigger finger, I’ve had only one or two situations of my thumbs locking up.”
That sounds like it’s worth a try if you’re a trigger finger sufferer.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
#3 Peppermint Oil
When peppermint oil is applied directly to the skin, it brings a pleasant tingling sensation that helps increase blood flow. Because of this, one common use of peppermint oil is (believe it or not) hair growth stimulation.
When blood flow is increased to a certain area of the body, it promotes healing.
Beyond that, peppermint is one of the best essential oils for trigger finger because it has strong antispasmodic properties. This allows it to work well for the treatment of tendon inflammation.
It also contains many minerals and nutrients such as:
All of these will help treat your symptoms of trigger finger.
Editor’s Pick for Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Peppermint Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Peppermint essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Peppermint oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Peppermint products.
The Best Essential Oils for Trigger Finger Can Help
Try these essential oils for your trigger finger condition and see what they can do for you.