Temporomandibular joint dysfunction is estimated to affect up to 10 million Americans. The temporomandibular joint (also called TMJ) is a hinge that connects the jaw to the temporal bones of the skull. This joint is found in the front of each ear and assists with talking, chewing, and yawning.
Symptoms of TMJ disorder include an audible cracking of the jaw when opening the mouth, being unable to open the mouth wide, a locking feeling that causes the jaw to remain open or stay firmly closed, and pain or swelling on the sides of the face. Migraine headaches can also be a symptom of TMJ disorder.
TMJ disorders are typically caused by stress, grinding of the teeth (usually unintentional and unknown because it occurs during sleep), or an injury or trauma to that area of the face such as being hit by a baseball.
Targeted facial exercises, dietary changes (eating more soft foods), and use of essential oils can ease TMJ symptoms.
Below are essential oils that can alleviate TMJ disorder and their modes of action.
Most Effective Essential Oils for TMJ
Peppermint essential oil is the most popular natural remedy. It is a cooling oil that has an analgesic effect on the facial muscles, so it works by relaxing them and easing the pain. Peppermint essential oil is very potent so it should be combined with a carrier oil (coconut oil) and applied topically on a small test area to ensure there is no adverse skin reaction before use.
Editor’s Pick for Peppermint Essential Oil:
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and harvested ingredients, we think you will agree that our oils are by far the most effective on the market - a wonderful smell that can't be beat!
- SUN PROVIDES THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS - Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but we believe our oils to be the best and will provide anyone who doesn't feel the same way with an 100% pure, unconditional manufacturer refund, anytime. We think you will feel that you have never smelled an oil this wonderful...and that after you have smelled this oil other brands may have a distinct alcohol or chemical smell with a 'dry' scent and noticeable lack of depth.
- LOVE THE SMELL AND FEEL GREAT - Fatigue and irritability are often a result of many factors that are difficult to pinpoint. Clear your mind and relax with the wonderful smell of Peppermint
Lavender oil is a multi-purpose oil. It is calming so it is known to relax muscles and is known to assist with insomnia. In addition, it is an anti-inflammatory oil. Lavender oil can be applied topically without being diluted.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
Eucalyptus oil can be helpful because TMJ patients tend to suffer more headache pain if they have sinus congestion. Eucalyptus oil eases sinus congestion. It should be diluted before application because it is potent.
Editor’s Pick for Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Eucalyptus on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Eucalyptus for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified. Make sure ALL oils you buy have these qualifications * CHECK OUT OUR REVIEWS!! * In our opinion our oil is superior to organic and THE MOST RARE, BEST SMELLING, AND MOST THERAPEUTICALLY EFFECTIVE OF ALL Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
Ginger oil can also reduce inflammation of the temporomandibular joint. Like peppermint and eucalyptus oil, it must be diluted before application.
Editor’s Pick for Ginger Essential Oil:
- ★ Ginger Massage Oil is a great natural solution for lymphatic drainage, edema, spider veins and varicose veins. Extracted from ginger root, ginger oil benefits you by relieving swelling & pain by its warming and anti-inflammatory properties.
- ★ Natural Essential ginger oils,Rapidly reduces swelling
- ★ The Essential Oil help with immunity,Decreases swollen glands after surgery or injury and inflammation
Frankincense is one of the oldest known oils and was initially used for religious purposes. However, its pain-relieving properties work similarly to aspirin. Dilution is required before safe use.
Editor’s Pick for Frankincense Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE & NATURAL FRANKINCENSE OIL- Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!! Many oils being sold online make that claim but are in fact made of natural isolates and mixtures. Each essential oil is tested by an independent lab for its constituents which is why every bottle comes with a Quality Guaranty.
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential Oils are tested by an independent lab to test the efficacy of each oil. Each oil is tested for its constituents as well as to have no fillers, additives and to be undiluted.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE W/ PREMIUM GLASS DROPPER - Our Frankincense Essential Oil comes in an amber glass bottle to keep out UV rays and protect the oil against sunlight. We also provide a Glass Dropper so you can get the exact amount of oil you need without any waste.
#6 Tea Tree
Tea tree oil has many medicinal uses including the relief of TMJ pain. It relieves pain and tension and can be applied topically and without dilution to the affected areas.
Editor’s Pick for Tea Tree Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC Tea Tree Essential oil, 100% Pure and Natural. Produced through steam distillation of Hand Picked, fresh Tea Tree leaves.
- LARGE 4 oz Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
#7 Clary Sage
Clary sage oil is lesser known but also effective. It relieves muscle spasm and pain but must be diluted with a carrier oil for safe application.
Editor’s Pick for Clary Sage Essential Oil:
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Clary Sage on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Clary Sage for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified. Make sure ALL oils you buy have these qualifications * CHECK OUT OUR REVIEWS!! * In our opinion our oil is superior to organic and THE MOST RARE, BEST SMELLING, AND MOST THERAPEUTICALLY EFFECTIVE OF ALL Clary Sage (Salvia Sclarea)
In addition to being applied topically, the essential oils for TMJ can be gently massaged into the affected area with the fingertips or knuckles.