Tennis elbow is a painful injury, often occurring as a result of repetitive movement or overuse. If your forearm muscles have been feeling sore, your grip in your hands and fingers feels weaker than normal or there is pain when attempting to straighten the arm at the elbow, there is a good chance that what you are suffering from is a case of tennis elbow. The good news is that there are natural, holistic remedies to treat tennis elbow at home.
Using essential oils for tennis elbow is one of the first lines of defense to provide relief from pain and inflammation. Essential oils also help to relieve these unpleasant side effects of tennis elbow and get you on your way to feeling better.
Essential oils should always be used topically and never ingested. They are very strong, very concentrated amounts of plant oils that are very effective and rapid to provide relief. When it comes to using essential oils for tennis elbow pain relief, they will be applied directly to the skin after they have been mixed in a carrier oil.
Some ideal choices for carrier oils are:
- coconut oil (shelf stable or fractionated)
- olive oil
- sweet almond oil
- jojoba oil
- grapeseed oil
When choosing essential oils for tennis elbow, it is important to look for oils that are stars when it comes to pain relief, reduction of inflammation and also possess skin soothing properties. Some ideal essential oil choices for treating tennis elbow are:
#1 Lemongrass essential oil
Lemongrass essential oil works very well to both increase circulation and reduce inflammation. When used topically for tennis elbow, lemongrass provides fast relief.
Editor’s Pick for Lemon Essential Oil:
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Lemon Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Lemon essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Lemon oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Lemon products.
#2 Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil is a potent healing oil and is often used when the body needs support to heal itself. Along with its relaxing aroma, lavender essential oil also promotes muscle relaxation and soothing to inflamed joints.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
#3 Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil is a strong, cooling essential oil that works quickly. It has anti-spasmodic properties that can bring about a great amount of relief when the elbow joint is having a flare up.
Editor’s Pick for Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Peppermint Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Peppermint essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Peppermint oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Peppermint products.
#4 Helichrysum essential oil
Helichrysum essential oil is an anti-inflammatory essential oil that is very effective on pain relief. If you are also experiencing swelling at the site, this would be the oil to choose as it has been shown to positively affect swelling concerns. Begin by using a ratio of 1 Tablespoon of carrier oil to 1 drop of essential oil. This ratio can be adjusted depending on the desired effect, however it is always best to err on the side of caution and use as small an amount of essential oil as possible.
Editor’s Pick for Helichrysum Essential Oil:
- 100% Pure & Natural Helichrysum Essential Oil - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- Don't Fall Victim To Cheap Diluted Helichrysum Oil - Most of the competition dilute their oil with a cheap carrier oil or even other potentially dangerous chemicals. Our helichrysum oil is routinely tested for purity and other unique qualities in order to ensure you are buying the purest oil available
- Most 4 Ounce Helichrysum Oils Contain Less Than 1/3 Of Natural Oil - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% oil, however it's usually only 1/3 of the natural oil and 2/3 carrier oil.