Skin tags, also referred to as skin tabs, are fairly common benign growths that sit just proud of the surface of the skin. These growths are often small soft pillow-like structures that appear to be growing on a short stem. They are considered harmless. Yet, they can be annoying because they aren’t necessarily attractive. Otherwise, they don’t present any serious problems.
Skin tags may fall off on their own. You can also have them removed by your dermatologist using a scalpel, freezing off, cauterization, or even ligation. However, insurance does not always cover these procedures, as they are considered cosmetic. You can also try natural remedies at home, such as essential oils for skin tags removal. This method does take some time, but is often very effective.
Recommended Essential Oils for Skin Tags
It is recommended that you only use high quality, organic, food grade essential oils. Here are some to try.
#1 Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia)
Tea Tree Oil is generally extracted from the leaves and twigs of a plant species that is native to areas of Australia. It is known for its antibacterial, antiseptic, and antimicrobial properties. It is often used to treat skin irritations, such as acne and skin tags. It works by drying up the skin tag over time, generally 5 to 10 days. The skin tag should not return.
Tea Tree Oil is powerful. It is recommended that you dilute it with rosehip oil or perhaps lavender oil. Apply a drop of the oil blend directly to the tag 2x per day until it begins to dry out and shrink. It will eventually fall off. You may develop a bit of a rash in the surrounding tissue that will also eventually dissipate.
Editor’s Pick for Tea Tree Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC Tea Tree Essential oil, 100% Pure and Natural. Produced through steam distillation of Hand Picked, fresh Tea Tree leaves.
- LARGE 4 oz Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
#2 Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum)
Lemon Essential Oil is extracted directly from lemons using a steam distillation process. Lemon is highly astringent and aids in removing excess skin oils that can contribute to acne and the formation of tags. Lemon Oil works by cutting off the blood supply to the tag. The tag should eventually dry up and fall off.
Apply the oil directly to the tag daily for 5 to 10 days. You can mix this with a carrier oil, such as jojoba or almond. It is recommended that you don’t expose the affected area to direct sunlight while using Lemon Essential Oil.
Editor’s Pick for Lemon Essential Oil:
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and harvested ingredients, we think you will agree that our oils are by far the most effective on the market - a wonderful smell that can't be beat!
- SUN PROVIDES THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS - Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but we believe our oils to be the best and will provide anyone who doesn't feel the same way with an 100% pure, unconditional manufacturer refund, anytime. We think you will feel that you have never smelled an oil this wonderful...and that after you have smelled this oil other brands may have a distinct alcohol or chemical smell with a 'dry' scent and noticeable lack of depth.
- LOVE THE SMELL AND FEEL GREAT - Fatigue and irritability are often a result of many factors that are difficult to pinpoint. Clear your mind and relax with the wonderful smell of Lemon (Citrus limon)
#3 Oregano Oil (Origanum vulgare)
Oregano Oil is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory. This oil is often the first line of defense in treating upper respiratory infections and yeast infections. Oregano Oil is sourced from the fresh leaves of the oregano plant. Oregano can also be effective in removing skin tags.
Oregano Oil is very potent and could irritate your skin. It is important to blend the oil with a carrier, such as coconut or olive oil. As with the other essential oils, apply a little bit daily for 5 to 10 days until the tag begins to fall off.
Editor’s Pick for Oregano Essential Oil:
- HUGE 4 OUNCE BOTTLE - Our Oregano Oil Is Bottled in an U/V Resistant Amber Glass Bottle
- PREMIUM QUALITY THERAPEUTIC GRADE OREGANO Oil - An Absolutely Beautiful Aroma Made from the Highest Quality Oregano
- PERFECT FOR YOUR DIFFUSER, BODY OILS, & MORE - Simply add a Few Drops To Your Favorite Diffuser, Or Make an All-Natural Cleaner. It's also great for making Lotions, Creams, Bath Bombs, Scrubs, Candles, and So Much More!
#4 Frankincense Oil (Boswellia carterri/sacra)
Frankincense Essential Oil is derived from the resin of a tree species that is commonly found in the Middle-East. This oil has very strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It can be used to target the bacteria that might be a source of some skin tags.
Similar to Oregano Oil, Frankincense should be blended with a carrier oil. Castor oil is a good option for blending with Frankincense. Castor oil is great for conditioning the skin. You can apply the blend directly to the skin tags using your hand, as this is s thick mixture. Apply for 5 to 10 days and you should begin to see results.
Editor’s Pick for Frankincense Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE & NATURAL FRANKINCENSE OIL- Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!! Many oils being sold online make that claim but are in fact made of natural isolates and mixtures. Each essential oil is tested by an independent lab for its constituents which is why every bottle comes with a Quality Guaranty.
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential Oils are tested by an independent lab to test the efficacy of each oil. Each oil is tested for its constituents as well as to have no fillers, additives and to be undiluted.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE W/ PREMIUM GLASS DROPPER - Our Frankincense Essential Oil comes in an amber glass bottle to keep out UV rays and protect the oil against sunlight. We also provide a Glass Dropper so you can get the exact amount of oil you need without any waste.
It is possible to safely remove skin tags with essential oils. For the most part, this is an easy process with few, if any, side effects. Always look for therapeutic or food grade essential oils that are organic. Remember that some oils are stronger than others and require a carrier oil and avoidance of direct sunlight. Try the oils for 5 to 10 days and then take a break for a day or two. The entire process can take a few weeks to achieve the desired results.