Anyone who has experienced a seizure knows that the condition can be frightening. From mild seizures that last a few seconds to those that may last for several minutes, the outcome is often confusion, physical exhaustion, and a general sense of being disconnected from the rest of the world. The use of essential oils for seizures in conjunction with other measures, can help reduce the frequency and severity of those episodes. Here are some basics that you should know about seizures and how certain essential oils can help.
Understanding Seizures And What Triggers Them
Seizures are often described as an interruption in the brain’s function. Essentially, a seizure occurs when the electrical activity in the brain departs from what’s considered a normal range. The result affects motor and cognitive abilities until the seizure passes and the electrical activity settles back into a healthy pattern.
Seizures may be mild and are sometimes referred to as petite mal seizures. Those that trigger more severe symptoms are called grand mal seizures. While many people think that seizures only happen if there’s some form of epilepsy present, other issues can trigger these episodes. That includes excessive glucose or salt in the bloodstream, brain infections or injuries, or some type of electric shock.
Treatment for any type of seizure disorder is essential. This is especially true if the seizures are associated with a chronic health condition. Along with a doctor’s care, using essential oils are an excellent addition to the treatment process. That’s because the oils are highly unlikely to negatively impact any other treatments that your doctor prescribes.
Essential Oils for Seizures that You Should Try
#1 Lavender To The Rescue
One of the most commonly used essential oils for seizures is lavender. Other than a form known as spike lavender, this approach helps to regulate the human EEG pattern in the brain and nervous system. The result is that the higher sense of anxiety associated with seizures is minimized. Try mixing the lavender with a carrier oil and applying a drop behind the ears or on the wrists. You can also place the lavender in a diffuser and inhale the scent.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
#2 Exploring the Use of Chamomile
While many people think of chamomile as something to use in a tea, the oil can also be used to bring a sense of calm and help you recover after a seizure. Combining the chamomile oil with some sort of carrier oil makes it ideal for massaging after an episode. Some herbalists recommend adding lavender to the mix when the seizure causes a great deal of disorientation and fatigue.
Editor’s Pick for Chamomile Essential Oil:
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT ROMAN CHAMOMILE OIL - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- DON'T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED ROMAN CHAMOMILE OIL - Most of the Competition Dilute Their Oil with a Cheap Carrier Oil or Even Other Potentially Dangerous Chemicals. Our Roman Chamomile Oil is Routinely Tested for Purity And Other Unique Qualities in Order to Ensure You Are Buying The Purest Oil Available
- MOST 4 OUNCE ROMAN CHAMOMILE OILS CONTAIN LESS THAN 1/3 OF NATURAL OIL - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% Oil, However it's usually only 1/3 of the Natural Oil and 2/3 Carrier Oil.
#3 The Benefits of Jasmine
Another one of the essential oils for seizures that come in handy is jasmine oil. Like lavender, inhaling the fragrance has a calming effect on the brain and the central nervous system. Some recommend inhaling the scent as a preventive measures, such as using it in a diffuser. Others recommend keeping a small vial of jasmine oil on hand and inhaling it while in the aura stage of a seizure.
Editor’s Pick for Jasmine Essential Oil:
- PREMIUM GRADE JASMINE FRAGRANCE OIL - Good Essentials Only Provides the Highest Quality Fragrance Oil. Our Jasmine Scented Oil is an Absolutely Amazing! We Know You'll Love It!
- BOTTLED IN A 10ML AMBER GLASS BOTTLE WITH EURODROPPER - Our Jasmine Oil is bottled in a durable Amber Glass Bottle and comes with a Euro Style Dropper for Easy Dispensing. Also All Our Oils and Bottled Right Here in the USA!
- JUST ADD A FEW DROPS TO ANY DIFFUSER - Simply Add a couple drops to any Aromatherapy Diffuser (Steam or Reed) and Fill your Entire Room with that Lovely Jasmine Smell
#4 Using Frankincense
Frankincense is known to have positive effects on the limbic area of the brain. It can help calm a distressed system and may help prevent or ease the severity of a seizure. While some essential oils are intended primarily for use in aromatherapy, frankincense is one that can be used topically. One approach is to mix it with a carrier oil and apply a drop to the underside of both big toes. You can also apply a drop to the neck or on the temples before retiring for the night.
Editor’s Pick for Frankincense Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE & NATURAL FRANKINCENSE OIL- Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!! Many oils being sold online make that claim but are in fact made of natural isolates and mixtures. Each essential oil is tested by an independent lab for its constituents which is why every bottle comes with a Quality Guaranty.
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential Oils are tested by an independent lab to test the efficacy of each oil. Each oil is tested for its constituents as well as to have no fillers, additives and to be undiluted.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE W/ PREMIUM GLASS DROPPER - Our Frankincense Essential Oil comes in an amber glass bottle to keep out UV rays and protect the oil against sunlight. We also provide a Glass Dropper so you can get the exact amount of oil you need without any waste.
#5 How Cedarwood Helps
Cedarwood is known as an anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic. It helps to promote mental clarity, ease confusion, and promote relaxation of the mind and body. The fact that it can help reduce hyperactivity may also aid in better control of seizures caused by some forms of epilepsy. It’s also among the essential oils for seizures that can be mixed with a carrier oil and used for massages.
Editor’s Pick for Cedarwood Essential Oil:
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE CEDARWOOD TEXAS Oil: - SVA ORGANICS Cedarwood Texas Oil is obtained by steam distillation of Juniperus Mexicana wood. It is 100% Pure & Natural and Authentic. Our Cedarwood Texas Oil is Glass bottled in USA and is not tested on Animals. We care for you!
- ENJOY BENEFITS OF CEDARWOOD TEXAS OIL: Cedarwood Texas Oil contains natural beneficial properties that you need for your skin nourishment, scalp health & hair growth. It helps you take care of your nails when applied topically. It is also used in formulation of aromatherapy products, cosmetics, skin lotions, body lotions, hair lotions, hair serums, massage oils & conditioners.
- AMAZING FOR REDUCING DRAK SPOTS: Steam distilled Cedarwood Texas oil is one of the best essential oils to reduce unwanted, hidden, prominent dark spots on your face and body. Mix it with carrier oil and apply on skin as is effective for lightening your skin tone and improve your skin complexion.
These are only a few of the essential oils that can be used to treat seizures. Before adding the oils to your treatment plan, do work with a physician to find out what’s causing the episodes. Doing so will make it easier to identify the right combination of essential oils for seizures and enjoy more effective results.