Sciatica is a pain that can be disruptive to a person’s life. It has to do with the sciatic nerve, which travels down from your lower back through both the hips and buttocks and down the leg. The pain can vary from mild to sharp, and it most often starts in the lower back and moves down through one buttock to the back of the thigh or calf of one leg. There might also be numbness, muscle weakness, or tingling in the afflicted leg. One of the know ways to treat it is by using essential oils for sciatica pain.
Sciatica most often happens because of a herniated disk. This is when a bone spur on the spine or narrowing of the spine compresses part of the sciatic nerve. This compression can cause inflammation, pain, and numbness. Other factors can trigger sciatica flare-ups, such as stress or anxiety, wearing poorly-fitting shoes or clothing, bad posture, overweight, pregnancy, or unhealthy diet.
How does essential oils help relieve sciatica?
Essential oils can play a part in treating sciatica. For example, essential oils have been shown to provide aromatherapy to alleviate sciatica pain. You also can apply essential oils topically for a massage. Another way to use essential oils is in a warm or cold compress. Compresses are ideal for people who might have a sensitivity to oils.
Which essential oils for sciatica should I use?
There are many essential oils to choose from to get sciatica relief. Here are the most common:
Perhaps the most popular, is anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial, and aids in relaxation.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
Known for relieving nerve and muscle pain, cell regeneration, and for its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties.
Editor’s Pick for Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
- Highest Quality Pure & Natural Eucalyptus Essential Oil - Our Eucalyptus Oil is 100% pure, undiluted, all-natural, and therapeutic grade. Every drop of this Eucalyptus essential oil is steam-extracted right from the source without any additives or harmful chemicals.
- Gc-ms Tested for Purity & Dilution - Every batch of our eucalyptus essential oil is tested using a a type of testing called "gcms". This ensures the essential oil's authenticity and purity. These test results are publicly available on the manufacturers website.
- Bottled in a 10ml Glass Bottle with Built-In Eyedropper - All of our essential oils are bottled in an amber glass bottle right here in the USA. It also has a built in Euro style eyedropper for easy pouring and application.
It has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, and warming effects.
Editor’s Pick for Ginger Essential Oil:
- ★ Ginger Massage Oil is a great natural solution for lymphatic drainage, edema, spider veins and varicose veins. Extracted from ginger root, ginger oil benefits you by relieving swelling & pain by its warming and anti-inflammatory properties.
- ★ Natural Essential ginger oils,Rapidly reduces swelling,Volume: 30ml/bottle, For external use only
- ★ The Essential Oil help with immunity,Decreases swollen glands after surgery or injury and inflammation
A fast acting and often the most expensive, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-spasmodic, and regenerates cells.
Editor’s Pick for Helichrysum Essential Oil:
- 100% Pure & Natural Helichrysum Essential Oil - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- Don't Fall Victim To Cheap Diluted Helichrysum Oil - Most of the competition dilute their oil with a cheap carrier oil or even other potentially dangerous chemicals. Our helichrysum oil is routinely tested for purity and other unique qualities in order to ensure you are buying the purest oil available
- Most 4 Ounce Helichrysum Oils Contain Less Than 1/3 Of Natural Oil - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% oil, however it's usually only 1/3 of the natural oil and 2/3 carrier oil.
It relieves pain and reduces inflammation.
Editor’s Pick for Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Peppermint Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Peppermint essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Peppermint oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Peppermint products.
It is analgesic and therapeutic.
Editor’s Pick for Rosemary Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE & NATURAL ROSEMARY OIL- Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!! Many oils being sold online make that claim but are in fact made of natural isolates and mixtures. Each essential oil is tested by an independent lab for its constituents which is why every bottle comes with a Quality Guaranty.
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential Oils are tested by an independent lab to test the efficacy of each oil. Each oil is tested for its constituents as well as to have no fillers, additives and to be undiluted.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE W/ PREMIUM GLASS DROPPER - Our Rosemary Essential Oil comes in an amber glass bottle to keep out UV rays and protect the oil against sunlight. We also provide a Glass Dropper so you can get the exact amount of oil you need without any waste.
An anti-inflammatory and regenerates new cells.
Editor’s Pick for Thyme Essential Oil:
- 100% Pure Thyme Essential Oil - Completely pure, undiluted, therapeutic grade Thyme essential oil.
- Built-In Eye Dropper Included - Our Thyme essential oil is bottled in 10ml u/v resistant amber glass bottle with a built-in euro style dropper for easy dispensing
- Perfect For Your Favorite Diffuser - Our essential oils were specifically designed for all types diffusers (reed diffusers, ultrasonic diffusers, humidifiers, steam diffusers, & more!)
It is the main ingredient in aspirin, reduces leg spasms, and relieves nerve pain.
Editor’s Pick for Wintergreen Essential Oil:
- Certified USDA Wintergreen Essential Oil - Healing Solution's Wintergreen essential oil is registered on the USDA Organic Database
- 100% Pure Wintergreen Essential Oil - All of our Essential Oils are routinely tested for purity and results of these tests are publicly available. We are the only Essential Oils Manufacturer That Makes These Results Publicly Available.
- The Most Unique & Amazing Smelling Wintergreen Oil - If you are not absolutely amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
How can I use essential oils safely?
Essential oils should never be digested or taken internally; they should only be used externally. If you’re unsure of where to start, there are plenty of recipes for home remedies to try. Don’t hesitate to consult your doctor before using essential oils for sciatica. Some oils aren’t suitable for pregnant women or patients with certain medical conditions.
When should I see a doctor about my sciatica?
Essential oils can be effective in treating mild sciatica. However, severe or persistent pain might require medical attention. Call a doctor if at-home treatments fail to relieve symptoms. You should also get medical attention if the pain lasts longer than a week, continues to get worse, or if you have trouble controlling your bowels or bladder.