Sciatica nerve pain is one of the most seen (and most painful) reasons that patients seek out medical and chiropractic care. When the sciatica nerve is flaring up, it can be difficult or impossible to sit or walk comfortably. Sciatica nerve pain can cause painful reactions all the way up and down one side of the body, with most of the pain being concentrated in the lower back and hip region. This potentially debilitating condition requires relief, and finding that relief in essential oils is one way that patients can treat their nerve pain at home.
When using essential oils for sciatica nerve pain, it will be applied topically (directly on the skin). Never use essential oils at full strength when applying them topically. Instead, they need to be mixed in a carrier oil to properly and safely dilute them. Any household cooking or beauty oil; such as coconut, sweet almond or olive, can be used to mix the essential oil into. Once the essential oils for sciatica nerve pain have been properly diluted, they can be massaged directly into the area that is experiencing the most pain.
There are three essential oils for sciatica nerve pain that have been shown to provide relief. It is recommended to try each essential oil out on its own at first to determine which one brings the most relief. Not all essential oils can be mixed together, so keeping them separate is the safest way to go.
Top three essential oils for sciatica nerve pain
#1 Basil Essential Oil
While you may be familiar with adding basil to your marinara sauce, it may be surprising to learn that in essential oil form it also has profound properties to promote muscle relaxation and relieve tension. Basil essential oil can be applied in a carrier oil with a ratio of one drop of essential oil to 1 Tablespoon of carrier oil.
Editor’s Pick for Basil Essential Oil:
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT BASIL OIL - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- DON'T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED BASIL OIL - Most of the Competition Dilute Their Oil with a Cheap Carrier Oil or Even Other Potentially Dangerous Chemicals. Our Basil Oil is Routinely Tested for Purity And Other Unique Qualities in Order to Ensure You Are Buying The Purest Oil Available
- MOST 4 OUNCE BASIL OILS CONTAIN LESS THAN 1/3 OF NATURAL OIL - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% Oil, However it's usually only 1/3 of the Natural Oil and 2/3 Carrier Oil.
#2 Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus is a very strong essential oil that works to penetrate painful areas and provide a warming sensation that is effective in relieving aches and pains. Eucalyptus has anti-inflammatory benefits that can help alleviate the pain related to a sciatica nerve flare up. Similar to basil essential oil, use 1 drop of eucalyptus essential oil mixed into 1 Tablespoon of carrier oil for a mixture that is safe to apply to the skin.
Editor’s Pick for Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Eucalyptus on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Eucalyptus for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified, FDA Registered. Make sure ALL oils you buy have these qualifications * CHECK OUT OUR REVIEWS!! * In our opinion our oil is superior to organic and THE MOST RARE, BEST SMELLING, AND MOST THERAPEUTICALLY EFFECTIVE OF ALL Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
#3 Rosemary Essential Oil
The analgesic properties of rosemary essential oil make it a stand out when it comes to relieving sciatica pain. 1 drop of rosemary mixed into 1 Tablespoon of carrier oil and massaged into the lower back will bring welcome relief from pain.
Editor’s Pick for Rosemary Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE & NATURAL ROSEMARY OIL- Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!! Many oils being sold online make that claim but are in fact made of natural isolates and mixtures. Each essential oil is tested by an independent lab for its constituents which is why every bottle comes with a Quality Guaranty.
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential Oils are tested by an independent lab to test the efficacy of each oil. Each oil is tested for its constituents as well as to have no fillers, additives and to be undiluted.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE W/ PREMIUM GLASS DROPPER - Our Rosemary Essential Oil comes in an amber glass bottle to keep out UV rays and protect the oil against sunlight. We also provide a Glass Dropper so you can get the exact amount of oil you need without any waste.
Essential oils are a powerful tool when it comes to pain relief and these three oils are at the top of the list when it comes to which essential oils will most help to relieve the pain that comes along with sciatica nerve issues. After finding an oil that brings relief, a mixture of carrier oil and essential oils can be made up ahead of time for faster application. Be sure to store any homemade oil mixtures in a glass bottle to prevent any kind of plastic denigration from occurring and ruining the blend.