Warts are hard skin growth formations that are sometimes painful when pressed on. They can vary in color and appearance. Some are skin colored while others are white, pink, or tan. Some warts have tiny black dots representing little clogged blood vessels.
Plantar warts occur on the bottoms of your feet. These are not cancerous growths. They are caused by an infection from the human papilloma virus or HPV. The virus generally enters the foot through small skin scrapes, cuts, or cracks. Most times this occurs from walking barefoot in public showers and steam rooms.
Plantar warts are contagious and can spread from person to person. Treating them immediately is important. Essential oils for plantar warts can be used because they have anti-viral properties.
Best Essential Oils for Plantar Warts
#1 Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia)
Tea Tree Oil is sourced from the foliage and twigs of certain plant species that are commonly found growing in Australia. This essential oil is noted for its antioxidant and antibacterial properties. As well, it is considered to be one of the most potent antiviral essential oils for warts.
When applied topically, tea tree oil can soothe while it is working on the virus. Using it undiluted is not recommended because it is very concentrated and quite strong. It should always be diluted with a carrier oil such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, or almond oil. Apply the oil for several days until the wart diminishes and the pain subsides.
Editor’s Pick for Tea Tree Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC Tea Tree Essential oil, 100% Pure and Natural. Produced through steam distillation of Hand Picked, fresh Tea Tree leaves.
- LARGE 4 oz Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
#2 Frankincense Oil (Boswellia carterri/sacra)
Frankincense Essential Oil is pulled from the resin of a Middle-Eastern variety of tree. This oil has very strong anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Frankincense essential oil is commonly used topically for the healing and care of surface wounds. It is theorized that the oil has a positive effect on the immune system. Individuals with a weakened immune system have been shown to be more prone to getting plantar warts.
Frankincense oil can be blended with castor oil for treating warts. Castor oil has its own beneficial properties for skin conditioning. Applying for 5 to 10 days should render some positive results.
Editor’s Pick for Frankincense Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE & NATURAL FRANKINCENSE OIL- Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!! Many oils being sold online make that claim but are in fact made of natural isolates and mixtures. Each essential oil is tested by an independent lab for its constituents which is why every bottle comes with a Quality Guaranty.
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential Oils are tested by an independent lab to test the efficacy of each oil. Each oil is tested for its constituents as well as to have no fillers, additives and to be undiluted.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE W/ PREMIUM GLASS DROPPER - Our Frankincense Essential Oil comes in an amber glass bottle to keep out UV rays and protect the oil against sunlight. We also provide a Glass Dropper so you can get the exact amount of oil you need without any waste.
#3 Oregano Oil (Origanum vulgare)
Oregano Oil is extracted from the fresh leaves of the oregano plant. The active ingredient in oregano oil is carvacrol. This essential oil is a powerful and fast acting antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiviral agent. It is often used to treat upper respiratory infections, yeast infections, and skin infections such as warts.
To apply oregano oil for warts, mix 15 to 20 drops of the oil with 2 teaspoons of extra virgin coconut oil and apply up to 4 times a day. Stop using it if you notice increased discomfort or any skin irritation.
Editor’s Pick for Oregano Essential Oil:
- CERTIFIED USDA OREGANO ESSENTIAL OIL - Healing Solution's Oregano Essential Oil is registered on the USDA Organic Database
- 100% PURE OREGANO ESSENTIAL OIL - All of our Essential Oils are routinely tested for purity and results of these tests are publicly available. We are the only Essential Oils Manufacturer That Makes These Results Publicly Available.
- THE MOST UNIQUE & AMAZING SMELLING OREGANO OIL - If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
#4 Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum)
Lemon Essential Oil is extracted directly from the fruit using steam distillation process. The oil from lemons is known to be an effective treatment for various skin conditions, including warts. It is highly astringent and is believed to cut off the blood supply that could be feeding the virus.
This is one essential oil that can be applied directly to the wart in minute quantities. Or, you can mix it with jojoba or almond oil.
Editor’s Pick for Lemon Essential Oil:
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and harvested ingredients, we think you will agree that our oils are by far the most effective on the market - a wonderful smell that can't be beat!
- SUN PROVIDES THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS - Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but we believe our oils to be the best and will provide anyone who doesn't feel the same way with an 100% pure, unconditional manufacturer refund, anytime. We think you will feel that you have never smelled an oil this wonderful...and that after you have smelled this oil other brands may have a distinct alcohol or chemical smell with a 'dry' scent and noticeable lack of depth.
- LOVE THE SMELL AND FEEL GREAT - Fatigue and irritability are often a result of many factors that are difficult to pinpoint. Clear your mind and relax with the wonderful smell of Lemon (Citrus limon)
Some Final Thoughts
Essential oils can be safely used to treat plantar warts caused by a viral infection. While you can use some oils undiluted, it is recommended that the very potent oils be mixed with a carrier oil so as not to irritate the skin further. As always, look for therapeutic or food grade essential oils that are from organically grown plants.