We love our pets. They give us companionship and comfort as well as unconditional love. Nothing is worse than falling in love with that kitty or puppy and discovering that you have an allergy. Or perhaps you’ve found your significant other, but have an allergy to their pet.
Thankfully, several essential oils for pet allergies enable you to use natural methods to relieve the symptoms of itchy eyes and noses, hives, and scratchy throats.
About Essential Oils for Pet Allergies
Animal dander remains one of the primary causes of pet allergies. Flakes of skin from the animal shed and remain the cause of many pet allergies. A vast number of homes in the United States have detectable levels of animal dander. Plus, almost half of the households in American have a dog.
Some of the facts regarding an allergy to a pet include:
• Cold-like symptoms. The body detects the pet’s dander and releases histamines to control your body’s reaction to this dander. Runny or stuffy noses are only one of the many cold-like symptoms you may have if you have a reaction to an animal.
• Saliva. Saliva from a pet might cause allergy symptoms, such as itching.
• Know your breed. Some dog breeds may give you a more significant allergic reaction than do other types of dogs.
• Hair is hair. Short-haired or long-haired breeds of dogs or cats both can give you the same itchy reaction.
What to do about Your Pet Allergies
You can take over-the-counter medications like antihistamines to treat the symptoms of your animal allergies. Unfortunately, antihistamines can have side effects that make you sleepy. Other types of allergy medications also cause health problems if used in the long term.
Essential Oils for Pet Allergies
If you don’t want to take allergy medication for a pet allergy, you have essential oil options that should work. These oils are also safe enough to use in combination with many of the OTC allergy medications available, too.
How to Use Essential Oils to Combat Allergic Reactions
Five essential oils contain anti-inflammatory elements that work well to treat allergy symptoms. You may use these oils in several ways. Add a few drops of your chosen essential oil to carrier oil, such as coconut oil. Then apply the combination to your skin. If you place this essential oil mixture under your jawline, you’ll get the oils decongesting benefits, too.
Another way to gain the benefits of essential oils for pet allergies remains to add a few drops of our recommended essential oil to a spray bottle filled with water. Spritz your arms or legs with the essential oil combination and reap the natural benefits. Using these oils before you go around the animal should prevent symptoms from arising.
Essential Oils for Animal Allergies
#1 Elemi Oil
Elemi oil remains useful to ease respiratory distress, excess mucus, and a dry cough. Applying the diluted oil to the skin reduces itching from rashes, as well.
Editor’s Pick for Elemi Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE ELEMI ESSENTIAL OIL - Completely Pure, Undiluted, Therapeutic Grade Elemi Essential Oil.
- BUILT-IN EYE DROPPER INCLUDED - Our Elemi Essential Oil is bottled in 10ml U/V Resistant Amber Glass Bottle with a Built-In Euro Style Dropper for Easy Dispensing
- PERFECT FOR YOUR FAVORITE DIFFUSER - Our Essential Oils Were Specifically Designed for All Types Diffusers (Reed Diffusers, Ultrasonic Diffusers, Humidifiers, Steam Diffusers, & More!)
#2 Thieves Oil
Thieves oil contains a combination of essential oils such as cinnamon, cloves, lemon, and eucalyptus oils which kill molds, bacteria, and relieve the symptoms of pet allergies.
Editor’s Pick for Thieves Essential Oil:
- This oil is inspired by tale of French Thieves who protected them with a mixture of clove and rosemary oil. Legend has it that in France during Bubonic plague, group of Spice Merchants turned Thieves, protected themselves with essential oil blend of clove, rosemary, lemon and eucalyptus, entering vacated houses of people and ransacked them of their belongings.
- 100% PURE, PREMIUM QUALITY, UNDILUTED, AROMATHERAPY ESSENTIAL OIL: 100% Pure Aroma's Thief Essential Oil; Steam Distilled; Great for Aromatherapy and Relaxation.
- Aroma's Thief Essential Oil by NaturoBliss is 100% pure and premium blend of Cassia, Clove, Rosemary, Eucalyptus and Lemon Essential Oils, blended in right quantity, perfected to give the best aroma to make you feel relaxing, calming and soothing feeling for your mind, body and soul. Dilute with carrier oil when applying to skin.
#3 Citrus Oils
Citrus oils such as lime, orange, grapefruit, and lemon reduce pet odors and keep your home smelling great. Citrus essential oils also prevent and relieve pet allergy symptoms.
Editor’s Pick for Lemon Essential Oil:
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and harvested ingredients, we think you will agree that our oils are by far the most effective on the market - a wonderful smell that can't be beat!
- SUN PROVIDES THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS - Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but we believe our oils to be the best and will provide anyone who doesn't feel the same way with an 100% pure, unconditional manufacturer refund, anytime. We think you will feel that you have never smelled an oil this wonderful...and that after you have smelled this oil other brands may have a distinct alcohol or chemical smell with a 'dry' scent and noticeable lack of depth.
- LOVE THE SMELL AND FEEL GREAT - Fatigue and irritability are often a result of many factors that are difficult to pinpoint. Clear your mind and relax with the wonderful smell of Lemon (Citrus limon)