Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a disorder of the ovaries that stems from hormonal imbalances. It is common among young women and those that are still in their reproductive age. The root cause of this condition has yet to be found. There are many ways of treating PCOS to alleviate the condition. This includes natural remedies that you can use at home, such as using essential oils for PCOS treatment.
What is PCOS and its symptoms?
PCOS is the building up of fluid follicles inside the ovaries. These can affect ovulation and menstrual cycles. The symptoms of PCOS include:
- Irregular Menstrual Cycle: People with PCOS may experience irregular menstrual flow that can range for more than 35 days between periods. The periods themselves may involve more blood flow than normal.
- Increased Androgens: Women who have PCOS can experience the symptoms of increased androgens or male hormones in the body. This includes excess hair growth on the body and male-pattern baldness.
Essential Oils for PCOS
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are made by crushing plants to release the oils inside of them. Essential oils are the most potent extracts of a plant and contain all of its substances in a highly concentrated form.
The Best Oils
Thyme oil is a strong-smelling oil that can be digested well by the organism. It helps in improving progesterone levels that are usually at low levels for women with PCOS. This can improve sleep, mood swings, hot flashes and weight gain.
Editor’s Pick for Thyme Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE THYME ESSENTIAL OIL - Completely Pure, Undiluted, Therapeutic Grade Thyme Essential Oil.
- BUILT-IN EYE DROPPER INCLUDED - Our Thyme Essential Oil is bottled in 10ml U/V Resistant Amber Glass Bottle with a Built-In Euro Style Dropper for Easy Dispensing
- PERFECT FOR YOUR FAVORITE DIFFUSER - Our Essential Oils Were Specifically Designed for All Types Diffusers (Reed Diffusers, Ultrasonic Diffusers, Humidifiers, Steam Diffusers, & More!)
The lavender essential oil can help with the side effects of PCOS as a very aromatherapeutic oil. It can be applied directly to the skin and helps with the pain, sleep, anxiety and depression that can come as a result of hormonal imbalances.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
Sandalwood is a good essential oil to use for balancing female and male hormones. This is great for women with PCOS who are trying to reduce the symptoms of excess male hormone production.
Editor’s Pick for Sandalwood Essential Oil:
- [ Ingredient ] - The Aphrosmile Aromatherapy Essential Oils Sandalwood Scent are extracted from roses using top extraction technology, which is 100% Natural Pure, unadulterated, therapeutic grade Essential Oils. And the Sandalwood Essential Oils Scent is unadulterated and cruelty-free.
- [ Features ] - The Sandalwood Aromatherapy Essential Oils has rich yet delicate woody fragrance with faint floral sweetness radiating warmth, which will enhances mental awareness and alleviates anxiety for greater relaxation, to heightened focus and clarity. Sandalwood Essential Oils Fragrances with high in antioxidants that can help reduce damage caused by free radicals, which prevent aging. And natural Muscle Relaxant which will relaxes nerves, muscles, spasms and contractions.
- [ Wide Applications ] - Aphrosmile Aromatherapy Essential Oils Fragrances is not only used with on aroma diffuser, but also used to massage, oil burner, Air freshener, bath and so on.
#4 Clary Sage
Clary sage essential oil is another one that can balance out female hormone levels. The use of this oil has shown improvement in thyroid hormone levels and the decrease of cortisol stress hormones. It is important to work on cortisol levels as their peak is another precursor to PCOS.
Editor’s Pick for Clary Sage Essential Oil:
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Clary Sage on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Clary Sage for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified, FDA Registered. Make sure ALL oils you buy have these qualifications * CHECK OUT OUR REVIEWS!! * In our opinion our oil is superior to organic and THE MOST RARE, BEST SMELLING, AND MOST THERAPEUTICALLY EFFECTIVE OF ALL Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea)
How to Use Essential Oils
Essential oils can be used in a variety of ways. For one thing, they can be directly applied to the skin through a massage in the area of the ovaries. The massage will help the oil be more readily absorbed by the skin of the area. The essential oils are very potent and should be used diluted in a carrier oil like coconut, almond, jojoba or olive oil. Add a few drops of the essential oils inside a carrier oil, and apply it to the skin.
Another way to use these oils is through inhaling them. Our sense of smell has a direct impact on the way our brain functions and processes emotions. This has a direct impact on hormonal levels as well. Used in aromatherapy, essential oils can positively impact our health conditions.
Final Thoughts on Essential Oils
Essential oils can certainly positively impact PCOS as well as the symptoms that come as a result of it. However, they should be used as an addition to more serious health improvements in diet, exercise and lifestyle to achieve the best results.