Anyone who has ever been plagued with nightmares knows the negative impact they can have on a person’s life. Not only do nightmares interrupt sleep, but they can also cause emotional and mental distress at all hours of the day and night. Nightmares are dreams that consist of upsetting imagery or scenarios that evoke feelings of sadness, dread and fear.
Anyone looking for nightmare relief for themselves or a loved one will be excited to learn about all of the benefits of essential oils for nightmares. Essential oils are potent, plant derived oils that contain beneficial properties to bring relief. Every essential oil has its own uses and benefits and there are four that would definitely be worth the try to use to help anyone who suffers from nightmares.
Please note that essential oils are very strong and should only be used on the skin when diluted with a carrier oil, such as coconut, oil or jojoba. Only use on children or pets with the guidance of a pediatrician or veterinarian. When using essential oils for nightmares, it is recommended to put one drop of oil on a cotton ball and place inside a pillowcase to inhale the aroma throughout the night.
Top four essential oils for nightmares
Lavender is one of the most widely used essential oils for helping to promote calm and relaxation. When used to help combat nightmares, it works quickly by promoting a relaxed state, even while sound asleep.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
Vetiver is a very grounding oil, which can be helpful when feeling out of control because of recurring nightmares. Vetiver is a strong smelling oil that works to help calm the mind and encourage sleep. Many who also suffer from insomnia along with their nightmares find that vetiver helps to alleviate both the insomnia and bad dreams.
Editor’s Pick for Vetiver Essential Oil:
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Vetiver Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Vetiver essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Vetiver oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Vetiver products.
Sandalwood is a peace-promoting essential oil. The scent is immediately soothing and helps to encourage sleep and relaxation. Using sandalwood for at least a few minutes prior to going to bed will bring about a calm feeling to encourage restful, calming sleep.
Editor’s Pick for Sandalwood Essential Oil:
#4 Roman Chamomile
Roman Chamomiles has a gentle sedative property that is very effective in treating anxiety, fear and worry. Often these types of emotions can lead to nightmares, so addressing them will directly affect what kinds of dreams happen during sleep. Roman Chamomile, while very effective, is also gentle and relaxing.
Editor’s Pick for Roman Chamomile Essential Oil:
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Roman Chamomile Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Roman Chamomile essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Roman Chamomile oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Roman Chamomile products.
Be sure to try out each oil for at least a few days to truly know if it is having a positive effect. Store oils safely out of the reach of children and animals, and best wishes on finding relief from your nightmares.