In science, leaky gut is defined as an overall malfunction of a person’s intestinal tract inside the epithelial lining of their gut. It’s sometimes referred to as an “intestinal permeability.”
Bascially, the gut (or intestines) is lined with one layer of active cells. They act as a protective barrier between the body and harmful pathogens, toxins and undigested food.
If this tiny barrier breaks down, these harmful particles that shouldn’t be able to pass through now can. Thus, the particles enter a person’s bloodstream and cause a bunch of problems within the body.
If you’re suffering from leaky gut and are looking for a way to treat it naturally, essential oils for leaky gut could be a big help.
Let’s take a look.
The Connection Between Stress and Leaky Gut
High levels of stress are known to trigger leaky gut in many sufferers. Because of this, soothing oils like chamomile, lavender and bergamot are at the top of the list because they enhance feelings of positive moods, balanced emotions and combat daily stressors.
If you’re suffering from leaky gut, regularly diffuse these oils into the air for healing aromatherapy.
Then, take a look at these other three essential oils for leaky gut that can be used internally.
Best Essential Oils for Leaky Gut
#1 Cardamom Oil
Cardamom comes from the ginger family and is extremely soothing to the gut. It has powerful antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties and works incredibly well as an agent for gastro-protective health.
Research with rats has shown that it helps protect the stomach wall and prevents lesions induced by aspirin.
Put a few drops in a capsule and take three times a day 30 minutes before meals.
Editor’s Pick for Cardamom Essential Oil:
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT CARDAMOM OIL - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- DON'T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED CARDAMOM OIL - Most of the Competition Dilute Their Oil with a Cheap Carrier Oil or Even Other Potentially Dangerous Chemicals. Our Cardamom Oil is Routinely Tested for Purity And Other Unique Qualities in Order to Ensure You Are Buying The Purest Oil Available
- MOST 4 OUNCE CARDAMOM OILS CONTAIN LESS THAN 1/3 OF NATURAL OIL - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% Oil, However it's usually only 1/3 of the Natural Oil and 2/3 Carrier Oil.
#2 Peppermint Oil
Peppermint has been used for centuries throughout the world for balanced gut health. It helps treat a number of gut conditions.
Clinical trials show that nearly 80% of leaky gut sufferers find significant relief by taking a few drops of peppermint oil in a capsule three to four times a day, 15 minutes before each meal.
This oil also eradicates E. coli bacteria, which is known to trigger leaky gut.
Editor’s Pick for Peppermint Essential Oil:
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and harvested ingredients, we think you will agree that our oils are by far the most effective on the market - a wonderful smell that can't be beat!
- SUN PROVIDES THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS - Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but we believe our oils to be the best and will provide anyone who doesn't feel the same way with an 100% pure, unconditional manufacturer refund, anytime. We think you will feel that you have never smelled an oil this wonderful...and that after you have smelled this oil other brands may have a distinct alcohol or chemical smell with a 'dry' scent and noticeable lack of depth.
- LOVE THE SMELL AND FEEL GREAT - Fatigue and irritability are often a result of many factors that are difficult to pinpoint. Clear your mind and relax with the wonderful smell of Peppermint
#3 Thyme Oil
Thyme is one of the best essential oils for leaky gut because of its antimicrobial stance against bacterias that are resistant to antibiotics. This makes thyme a superstar for better gut health.
In fact, in one study, the key components of the oil (geraniol and thymol) are “effective in suppressing pathogens in the small intestine, with no concern for beneficial commensal colonic bacteria in the distal gut.”
That basically means that thyme oil kills the bad stuff in your gut while letting the beneficial stuff remain.
This oil can also be taken by capsule, like the other two listed above. A few drops in a capsule prior to meals and at bedtime could do wonders for your gut health.
Editor’s Pick for Thyme Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE THYME ESSENTIAL OIL - Completely Pure, Undiluted, Therapeutic Grade Thyme Essential Oil.
- BUILT-IN EYE DROPPER INCLUDED - Our Thyme Essential Oil is bottled in 10ml U/V Resistant Amber Glass Bottle with a Built-In Euro Style Dropper for Easy Dispensing
- PERFECT FOR YOUR FAVORITE DIFFUSER - Our Essential Oils Were Specifically Designed for All Types Diffusers (Reed Diffusers, Ultrasonic Diffusers, Humidifiers, Steam Diffusers, & More!)
The Best Essential Oils for Leaky Gut
If you’ve been suffering from leaky gut, it’s time to start taking the condition seriously and treating it naturally.
The essential oils for leaky gut discussed in this article could be just what you need to start feeling better soon.