Interstitial Cystitis (IC) is a painful chronic condition known for causing burning and pressure within the bladder. In laymen’s terms, it’s typically referred to as Painful Bladder Syndrom.
Under normal circumstances, when your bladder gets filled with urine, an automatic signal ships to your brain informing it that the muscles around a full bladder need to squeeze in order to purge the bladder of urine. For people who suffer from Interstitial Cystitis, this same signal gets sent to the brain way too frequently, even when the bladder isn’t close to being full.
Unfortunately, the exact cause of this condition is unknown. However, it most commonly occurs in people between the age of 30 and 40. It’s also known that women are about ten times more likely to suffer from Interstitial Cystitis than men are.
Common symptoms of the disorder include a frequent need to urinate, overall discomfort in the bladder, burning in the pelvis, and discomfort or pain during sexual intercourse.
Due to the chronic nature of the disorder, a high number of people who suffer from it also experience a certain level of depression.
While it has no known cure, there are essential oils for Interstitial Cystitis that can help. Let’s take a look.
The Best Essential Oils for Interstitial Cystitis
#1 Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood oil is highly antispasmodic and antiseptic. These attributes make is a recommended choice for severe IC pain.
Editor’s Pick for Sandalwood Essential Oil:
- [ Ingredient ] - The Aphrosmile Aromatherapy Essential Oils Sandalwood Scent are extracted from roses using top extraction technology, which is 100% Natural Pure, unadulterated, therapeutic grade Essential Oils. And the Sandalwood Essential Oils Scent is unadulterated and cruelty-free.
- [ Features ] - The Sandalwood Aromatherapy Essential Oils has rich yet delicate woody fragrance with faint floral sweetness radiating warmth, which will enhances mental awareness and alleviates anxiety for greater relaxation, to heightened focus and clarity. Sandalwood Essential Oils Fragrances with high in antioxidants that can help reduce damage caused by free radicals, which prevent aging. And natural Muscle Relaxant which will relaxes nerves, muscles, spasms and contractions.
- [ Wide Applications ] - Aphrosmile Aromatherapy Essential Oils Fragrances is not only used with on aroma diffuser, but also used to massage, oil burner, Air freshener, bath and so on.
#2 Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme is also antispasmodic and antiseptic, while also bringing to the table anti-bacterial traits.
Editor’s Pick for Thyme Essential Oil:
- 100% Pure Thyme Essential Oil - Completely pure, undiluted, therapeutic grade Thyme essential oil.
- Built-In Eye Dropper Included - Our Thyme essential oil is bottled in 10ml u/v resistant amber glass bottle with a built-in euro style dropper for easy dispensing
- Perfect For Your Favorite Diffuser - Our essential oils were specifically designed for all types diffusers (reed diffusers, ultrasonic diffusers, humidifiers, steam diffusers, & more!)
#3 Clary Sage Essential Oil
This is one of the best essential oils for Interstitial Cystitis because of it’s anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties. This one is definitely worth a try.
Editor’s Pick for Clary Sage Essential Oil:
- Highest Quality Pure & Natural Clary Sage Essential Oil - Our Clary Sage Oil is 100% pure, undiluted, all-natural, and therapeutic grade. Every drop of this Clary Sage essential oil is steam-extracted right from the source without any additives or harmful chemicals.
- Gc-ms Tested for Purity & Dilution - Every batch of our clary sage essential oil is tested using a a type of testing called "gcms". This ensures the essential oil's authenticity and purity. These test results are publicly available on the manufacturers website.
- Bottled in a 10ml Glass Bottle with Built-In Eyedropper - All of our essential oils are bottled in an amber glass bottle right here in the USA. It also has a built in Euro style eyedropper for easy pouring and application.
#4 Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress has strong calming and sedative properties while working to cure many spasm types. This includes spasms brought on by IC.
#5 Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium essential oil also has anti-inflammatory properties and reduces overall irritation and pain.
Editor’s Pick for Geranium Essential Oil:
- 100% Pure & Natural Geranium Essential Oil - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- Don't Fall Victim To Cheap Diluted Geranium Oil - Most of the competition dilute their oil with a cheap carrier oil or even other potentially dangerous chemicals. Our geranium oil is routinely tested for purity and other unique qualities in order to ensure you are buying the purest oil available
- Most 4 Ounce Geranium Oils Contain Less Than 1/3 Of Natural Oil - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% oil, however it's usually only 1/3 of the natural oil and 2/3 carrier oil.
#6 Juniper Essential Oil
Juniper works wonders at reducing intestinal gas while simultaneously reducing abdominal cramps.
#7 Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is highly recommended for individuals suffering from Interstitial Cystitis. It’s a strong pain reliever and boasts powerful antispasmodic properties that will work to reduce your symptoms.
Many of these essential oils also have powerful calming properties that’ll help sufferers of IC take their minds off the routine pain they experience. They can also help with sleeplessness, which is a common symptom of IC.
Lavender is an especially beneficial oil that will help sufferers finally get a good night’s rest.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
How to Use These Oils to Treat IC
There are several ways to use essential oils for Interstitial Cystitis.
First, you can dilute the oils into a carrier oil like coconut, olive or jojoba. Put a few drops of your chosen essential oil into the carrier oil, then massage it into the skin directly above the bladder area.
Directly inhaling the oils has also proven to be beneficial. You can breathe them in directly from the bottle or diffuse them into the air throughout your day.
Another option is to put 5 – 10 drops of oil into a warm bath and soak in it for 15 – 20 minutes once per day.
Try these oils and different treatment methods and see how they help relieve your chronic symptoms.