Dealing with an ingrown toenail can be incredibly painful and disruptive to normal life. Only when we have pain in a much used body part such as our feet do we realize how debilitating an injury or infection can be to everyday actions like walking, exercising, and even getting dressed. Which essential oils for ingrown toenail are best? Read below, we give our top picks and the research behind them.
Our pick: Mary Tylor Natural’s Organic Tea Tree Essential Oil
Ingrown toenails happen when the nail begins to grow directly into the skin and is fairly common on the big toe.
Preventing an ingrown toenail is the first step in avoiding the pain and discomfort that one can bring. But, once you have an ingrown toenail developing, there are several steps to take to mitigate the pain, reduce infection, and redirect the growth of the toenail.
Reversing an ingrown toenail is also not immediate and can take a number of days to resolve. During treatment, it’s a great idea to use essential oils for ingrown toenail pain relief and to help prevent infection.
This is a natural home remedy treatment with natural, organic oils readily available on online marketplaces like Amazon.
Essential Oils for Ingrown Toenail
Here are a few types of essential oils that will work along with our top rated brands that sell them.
After cleaning the impacted area, these oils may be applied directly with a few drops or used with a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil.
#1 Tea Tree Essential Oil
The Tea Tree Essential Oil, also known as melaleuca oil, is an essential oil that is made from the leaves of the Australian tea tree. The leaves are steamed and the essential oil is extracted.
When used on the skin the oil is believed to be antibacterial as is commonly used on acne, fungal infections such as nail fungus and athlete’s foot as well as insect bites.
Tea Tree is the best essential oil for ingrown toenails as it works to prevent infections, heal the skin and relieve the symptoms that go along with an ingrown toenail.
Tea Tree oil is generally safe when used topically, however some users report itching, redness and drying of the skin. Tea Tree oil should not be used orally as it can be toxic if swallowed.
Natalia’s Pick for Tea Tree Essential Oil:
- Tea Tree Essential oil, 100% Pure and Natural. Produced through steam distillation of Hand Picked, fresh Tea Tree leaves.
- LARGE 4 oz Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
#2 Lavender Essential Oil
This oil, too, has antibacterial and anti-fungal qualities and it’s quite gentle. It also fights against inflammation and relieves pain.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
#3 Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Editor’s Pick for Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
- Highest Quality Pure & Natural Eucalyptus Essential Oil - Our Eucalyptus Oil is 100% pure, undiluted, all-natural, and therapeutic grade. Every drop of this Eucalyptus essential oil is steam-extracted right from the source without any additives or harmful chemicals.
- Gc-ms Tested for Purity & Dilution - Every batch of our eucalyptus essential oil is tested using a a type of testing called "gcms". This ensures the essential oil's authenticity and purity. These test results are publicly available on the manufacturers website.
- Bottled in a 10ml Glass Bottle with Built-In Eyedropper - All of our essential oils are bottled in an amber glass bottle right here in the USA. It also has a built in Euro style eyedropper for easy pouring and application.
This oil has antimicrobial properties and has also been used as an analgesic agent to mitigate pain
#4 Peppermint Essential Oil
This oil is great for softening the nail to redirect its grown. It is also used to treat infection and relieve pain.
Editor’s Pick for Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Peppermint Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Peppermint essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Peppermint oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Peppermint products.
Using essential oils like these in combination with other treatments can resolve a painful ingrown toenail. Some methods to also employ may be using dental floss or a thin piece of cotton under the nail to redirect its growth, soaking feet in Epsom salt several times a day to further soften the nail, or even visiting the doctor if the infection has become serious.
To keep ingrown toenails from recurring, make sure to wear shoes that are not too tight, cut the toenails straight across and not at a curve on the sides, and don’t let the nail grow past the edge of the toe.
These are some of the most effective ways to prevent and treat ingrown toenails from slowing down your days.
Try some essential oils in the next time you need to treat an ingrown toenail as a natural option that will quicken the healing period and get you up and running (or doing yoga, or pole-vaulting) once again.