Dealing with an ingrown toenail can be incredibly painful and disruptive to normal life. Only when we have pain in a much used body part such as our feet do we realize how debilitating an injury or infection can be to everyday actions like walking, exercising, and even getting dressed. Which essential oils for ingrown toenail are best? Read below, we give our top picks and the research behind them.
Our pick: Mary Tylor Natural’s Organic Tea Tree Essential Oil
Ingrown toenails happen when the nail begins to grow directly into the skin and is fairly common on the big toe.
Preventing an ingrown toenail is the first step in avoiding the pain and discomfort that one can bring. But, once you have an ingrown toenail developing, there are several steps to take to mitigate the pain, reduce infection, and redirect the growth of the toenail.
Reversing an ingrown toenail is also not immediate and can take a number of days to resolve. During treatment, it’s a great idea to use essential oils for ingrown toenail pain relief and to help prevent infection.
This is a natural home remedy treatment with natural, organic oils readily available on online marketplaces like Amazon.
Essential Oils for Ingrown Toenail
Here are a few types of essential oils that will work along with our top rated brands that sell them.
After cleaning the impacted area, these oils may be applied directly with a few drops or used with a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil.
#1 Tea Tree Essential Oil
The Tea Tree Essential Oil, also known as melaleuca oil, is an essential oil that is made from the leaves of the Australian tea tree. The leaves are steamed and the essential oil is extracted.
When used on the skin the oil is believed to be antibacterial as is commonly used on acne, fungal infections such as nail fungus and athlete’s foot as well as insect bites.
Tea Tree is the best essential oil for ingrown toenails as it works to prevent infections, heal the skin and relieve the symptoms that go along with an ingrown toenail.
Tea Tree oil is generally safe when used topically, however some users report itching, redness and drying of the skin. Tea Tree oil should not be used orally as it can be toxic if swallowed.
Natalia’s Pick for Tea Tree Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC Tea Tree Essential oil, 100% Pure and Natural. Produced through steam distillation of Hand Picked, fresh Tea Tree leaves.
- LARGE 4 oz Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
#2 Lavender Essential Oil
This oil, too, has antibacterial and anti-fungal qualities and it’s quite gentle. It also fights against inflammation and relieves pain.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
#3 Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Editor’s Pick for Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Eucalyptus on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Eucalyptus for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified, FDA Registered. Make sure ALL oils you buy have these qualifications * CHECK OUT OUR REVIEWS!! * In our opinion our oil is superior to organic and THE MOST RARE, BEST SMELLING, AND MOST THERAPEUTICALLY EFFECTIVE OF ALL Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
This oil has antimicrobial properties and has also been used as an analgesic agent to mitigate pain
#4 Peppermint Essential Oil
This oil is great for softening the nail to redirect its grown. It is also used to treat infection and relieve pain.
Editor’s Pick for Peppermint Essential Oil:
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and harvested ingredients, we think you will agree that our oils are by far the most effective on the market - a wonderful smell that can't be beat!
- SUN PROVIDES THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS - Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but we believe our oils to be the best and will provide anyone who doesn't feel the same way with an 100% pure, unconditional manufacturer refund, anytime. We think you will feel that you have never smelled an oil this wonderful...and that after you have smelled this oil other brands may have a distinct alcohol or chemical smell with a 'dry' scent and noticeable lack of depth.
- LOVE THE SMELL AND FEEL GREAT - Fatigue and irritability are often a result of many factors that are difficult to pinpoint. Clear your mind and relax with the wonderful smell of Peppermint
Using essential oils like these in combination with other treatments can resolve a painful ingrown toenail. Some methods to also employ may be using dental floss or a thin piece of cotton under the nail to redirect its growth, soaking feet in Epsom salt several times a day to further soften the nail, or even visiting the doctor if the infection has become serious.
To keep ingrown toenails from recurring, make sure to wear shoes that are not too tight, cut the toenails straight across and not at a curve on the sides, and don’t let the nail grow past the edge of the toe.
These are some of the most effective ways to prevent and treat ingrown toenails from slowing down your days.
Try some essential oils in the next time you need to treat an ingrown toenail as a natural option that will quicken the healing period and get you up and running (or doing yoga, or pole-vaulting) once again.