Epilepsy is a condition that involves the neurological system. It presents with seizures that can range from mild to severe depending on the type of epilepsy that you have. Sometimes, you might not realize you’re having a seizure because you don’t experience the movements that you often associate with the condition. At times, you might stare off and not be aware of what’s around you. There are also seizures that present as muscle spasms that last for only a few seconds. Medications can be taken to decrease the number of seizures that you have, but there another option is using certain essential oils for epilepsy.
Using Essential Oils for Epilepsy
Essential oils are often made with natural substances and can be warmed so that you smell the aroma of the oil or rubbed on areas of your body. Sometimes, you can use the oils orally depending on the type. There are several oils that are beneficial if you have epilepsy and that can often promote a calming impact for your body and mind after coming out of a seizure.
This is one of the best oils to use that can deliver a calming impact after a seizure. You can also use the oil in your home by putting it in a warmer so that the scent circulates. The aroma can often calm the mind and can sometimes help with the triggers that you might have that cause seizures to occur.
Editor’s Pick for Jasmine Essential Oil:
- PREMIUM GRADE JASMINE FRAGRANCE OIL - Good Essentials Only Provides the Highest Quality Fragrance Oil. Our Jasmine Scented Oil is an Absolutely Amazing! We Know You'll Love It!
- BOTTLED IN A 1 OUNCE AMBER BOTTLE - Our Jasmine Oil is bottled in a durable Amber Bottle for Easy Dispensing. Also All Our Oils and Bottled Right Here in the USA!
- JUST ADD A FEW DROPS TO ANY DIFFUSER - Simply Add a couple drops to any Aromatherapy Diffuser (Steam or Reed) and Fill your Entire Room with that Lovely Jasmine Smell
#2 Clary Sage
Another of the essential oils for epilepsy that you can use is sage. It has a soothing quality that tends to decrease the number of seizures that you have. After having a seizure, sage is a good oil to use to massage the body because it tends to linger on the body a bit longer.
Editor’s Pick for Clary Sage Essential Oil:
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Clary Sage on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Clary Sage for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified. Make sure ALL oils you buy have these qualifications * CHECK OUT OUR REVIEWS!! * In our opinion our oil is superior to organic and THE MOST RARE, BEST SMELLING, AND MOST THERAPEUTICALLY EFFECTIVE OF ALL Clary Sage (Salvia Sclarea)
If you notice that it’s difficult to relax after a seizure or if you notice that stress and anxiety tend to cause more seizures, then consider using lavender in your home or keeping lavender oil with you. This is one of the essential oils for epilepsy that is calming in all aspects. It’s a relaxing scent, decreasing anxiety that you might feel during the day. You can also use lavender after a seizure to calm you so that you can sleep better.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
Chamomile has a similar impact and can often promote a better sleep pattern than lavender. Lavender and chamomile oils are often used together because of their delightful aroma and the similarities that they have.
Editor’s Pick for Chamomile Essential Oil:
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT ROMAN CHAMOMILE OIL - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- DON'T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED ROMAN CHAMOMILE OIL - Most of the Competition Dilute Their Oil with a Cheap Carrier Oil or Even Other Potentially Dangerous Chemicals. Our Roman Chamomile Oil is Routinely Tested for Purity And Other Unique Qualities in Order to Ensure You Are Buying The Purest Oil Available
- MOST 4 OUNCE ROMAN CHAMOMILE OILS CONTAIN LESS THAN 1/3 OF NATURAL OIL - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% Oil, However it's usually only 1/3 of the Natural Oil and 2/3 Carrier Oil.
What To Avoid
There are a few oils that you should avoid if you have epilepsy. They usually have a strong scent and can be overwhelming to smell or use on your body, sometimes triggering more seizures to occur. These oils include rosemary, fennel, and wormwood.