Epilepsy is a condition that involves the neurological system. It presents with seizures that can range from mild to severe depending on the type of epilepsy that you have. Sometimes, you might not realize you’re having a seizure because you don’t experience the movements that you often associate with the condition. At times, you might stare off and not be aware of what’s around you. There are also seizures that present as muscle spasms that last for only a few seconds. Medications can be taken to decrease the number of seizures that you have, but there another option is using certain essential oils for epilepsy.
Using Essential Oils for Epilepsy
Essential oils are often made with natural substances and can be warmed so that you smell the aroma of the oil or rubbed on areas of your body. Sometimes, you can use the oils orally depending on the type. There are several oils that are beneficial if you have epilepsy and that can often promote a calming impact for your body and mind after coming out of a seizure.
This is one of the best oils to use that can deliver a calming impact after a seizure. You can also use the oil in your home by putting it in a warmer so that the scent circulates. The aroma can often calm the mind and can sometimes help with the triggers that you might have that cause seizures to occur.
Editor’s Pick for Jasmine Essential Oil:
- Premium Grade Jasmine Fragrance Oil - Good Essential only provides the highest quality fragrance oil. Our Jasmine scented oil is absolutely amazing! We know you'll love it!
- Bottled In A 1 Ounce Amber Glass Bottle - Our Jasmine oil is bottled in a durable amber glass bottle for easy dispensing. Also all our oils are bottled right here in the USA!
- Just Add A Few Drops To Any Diffuser - Simply add a couple drops to any aromatherapy diffuser (steam or reed) and fill your entire room with that lovely Jasmine smell
#2 Clary Sage
Another of the essential oils for epilepsy that you can use is sage. It has a soothing quality that tends to decrease the number of seizures that you have. After having a seizure, sage is a good oil to use to massage the body because it tends to linger on the body a bit longer.
Editor’s Pick for Clary Sage Essential Oil:
- Highest Quality Pure & Natural Clary Sage Essential Oil - Our Clary Sage Oil is 100% pure, undiluted, all-natural, and therapeutic grade. Every drop of this Clary Sage essential oil is steam-extracted right from the source without any additives or harmful chemicals.
- Gc-ms Tested for Purity & Dilution - Every batch of our clary sage essential oil is tested using a a type of testing called "gcms". This ensures the essential oil's authenticity and purity. These test results are publicly available on the manufacturers website.
- Bottled in a 10ml Glass Bottle with Built-In Eyedropper - All of our essential oils are bottled in an amber glass bottle right here in the USA. It also has a built in Euro style eyedropper for easy pouring and application.
If you notice that it’s difficult to relax after a seizure or if you notice that stress and anxiety tend to cause more seizures, then consider using lavender in your home or keeping lavender oil with you. This is one of the essential oils for epilepsy that is calming in all aspects. It’s a relaxing scent, decreasing anxiety that you might feel during the day. You can also use lavender after a seizure to calm you so that you can sleep better.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
Chamomile has a similar impact and can often promote a better sleep pattern than lavender. Lavender and chamomile oils are often used together because of their delightful aroma and the similarities that they have.
Editor’s Pick for Chamomile Essential Oil:
- 100% Pure & Natural Roman Chamomile Essential Oil - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- Don't Fall Victim To Cheap Diluted Roman Chamomile Oil - Most of the competition dilute their oil with a cheap carrier oil or even other potentially dangerous chemicals. Our roman chamomile oil is routinely tested for purity and other unique qualities in order to ensure you are buying the purest oil available
- Most 4 Ounce Roman Chamomile Oils Contain Less Than 1/3 Of Natural Oil - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% oil, however it's usually only 1/3 of the natural oil and 2/3 carrier oil.
What To Avoid
There are a few oils that you should avoid if you have epilepsy. They usually have a strong scent and can be overwhelming to smell or use on your body, sometimes triggering more seizures to occur. These oils include rosemary, fennel, and wormwood.