What Causes Dark Circles?
Dark under-eye circles can occur to anyone. The most common cause of dark circles is lack of sleep. Being sleep deprivation is associated with loss of moisture, which contributes to the drying and thinning of the already sensitive under eye skin. Allergies, stress, and other illness can also cause dark circles. Puffiness around the eye area is usually involved, making your eyes look older than they really are.
Sometimes dark circles are natural, due to genetics. In this case, some people have naturally thin under-eye circles which make the underlying blood vessels more obvious. While it’s totally fine to have dark circles, the issue is that thin skin can easily lose moisture, and over time becomes susceptible to wrinkles.
Regardless of the reason, it is possible to lighten and overall improve the health of the skin around eyes with the help of essential oils for dark circles.
How Essential Oils Can Help
Essential oils are highly concentrated oils with a variety of benefits. Many of them are ingredients in skin and cosmetic products. They have helped in other skin areas in terms of hydration and lightening properties. The idea is that if essential oils can treat conditions like hyper-pigmentation and dry skin, they can improve the health of dark under-eye circles and get rid of eye bags. There are so many essential oils out there, many with similar or overlapping qualities. Here’s a list of some of the most helpful.
5 Essential Oils for Dark Circles
#1 Lavender essential oil
Lavender is known for its soothing quality. It’s moisturizing, hydrating the under-eye skin, and reduces puffiness as well. It improves blood circulation, allowing for more youthful under-eye skin.
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
#2 Frankincense essential oil
Frankincense oil is commonly used in facial toners. For under the eyes, frankincense oil can heals the dry, dull skin, and tighten it up, giving the eye area a youthful boost. It reduces the discoloration of dark circles, as will as protects from sun damage.
Editor’s Pick for Frankincense Essential Oil:
- 100% PURE & NATURAL FRANKINCENSE OIL- Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that!! Many oils being sold online make that claim but are in fact made of natural isolates and mixtures. Each essential oil is tested by an independent lab for its constituents which is why every bottle comes with a Quality Guaranty.
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential Oils are tested by an independent lab to test the efficacy of each oil. Each oil is tested for its constituents as well as to have no fillers, additives and to be undiluted.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE W/ PREMIUM GLASS DROPPER - Our Frankincense Essential Oil comes in an amber glass bottle to keep out UV rays and protect the oil against sunlight. We also provide a Glass Dropper so you can get the exact amount of oil you need without any waste.
#3 Clove essential oil
Clove oil rejuvenates the under eye circles with its antioxidant properties and ability to improve blood circulation. Because it is also anti-inflammatory, it protects the skin under the eyes from long-term effects of free-radicals.
Editor’s Pick for Clove Essential Oil:
- [WARM SPICE] Gently wrap the senses in an uplifting embrace of a warm spice aroma as a subtle sweetness fills the body.
- [RENEWED OPTIMISM] Greet each day with an open willingness to experience every moment secure in a renewed optimism.
- [SOOTHE ACHES] Feel tension & the aches of the day melt away as the healing touch of clove essential oil soothes as it warms.
#4 Chamomile essential oil
Just like chamomile tea, this oil soothes the skin under the eyes. With its anti-inflammatory properties, it improves the health. Chamomile is also a lightening agent, which is perfect for dark circles.
Editor’s Pick for Chamomile Essential Oil:
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT ROMAN CHAMOMILE OIL - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- DON'T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED ROMAN CHAMOMILE OIL - Most of the Competition Dilute Their Oil with a Cheap Carrier Oil or Even Other Potentially Dangerous Chemicals. Our Roman Chamomile Oil is Routinely Tested for Purity And Other Unique Qualities in Order to Ensure You Are Buying The Purest Oil Available
- MOST 4 OUNCE ROMAN CHAMOMILE OILS CONTAIN LESS THAN 1/3 OF NATURAL OIL - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% Oil, However it's usually only 1/3 of the Natural Oil and 2/3 Carrier Oil.
#5 Eucalyptus essential oil
Eucalyptus oil can wake up your eyes by reducing puffiness, allowing tired eyes to look more awake and alert. Because this oil can be very strong, use only a drop in the carrier oil the first time it’s used to get a sense of your sensitivity.
Editor’s Pick for Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Eucalyptus on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Eucalyptus for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified, FDA Registered. Make sure ALL oils you buy have these qualifications * CHECK OUT OUR REVIEWS!! * In our opinion our oil is superior to organic and THE MOST RARE, BEST SMELLING, AND MOST THERAPEUTICALLY EFFECTIVE OF ALL Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
How to Use Essential Oils for Dark Circles
Most of the essential oils listed are best used with a carrier oil. Because essential oils are very strong, they should not be applied topically straight under the eyes. Good choices for carrier oils include coconut oil, sweet almond oil, argan oil, jojoba oil, and rose-hip oil. Simply mix 1-3 drops with a carrier oil and gently dab the oil mixture on dark circles, taking care not to get close to the actual eye.