Known to impact children, croup can precipitate bothersome, potentially dangerous symptoms. Fortunately, these are essential oils for croup that might prove to be effective in treating this condition.
This ailment is defined as an infection that accumulates inside the upper airways. In most instances, croup impacts younger children between the ages of six months and three years old.
Typically, the illness is caused by a viruses known as parainfluenza viruses. Said organisms are easily passed from person to person through the air and individual contact. Additionally, the virus collects on frequently touched surfaces and is often contracted when a child’s hands or fingers come into contact with said structures and youngster in question then infects themselves through subsequent contact with their eyes, nose or mouth.
In many instances, croup begins as a common cold. Therefore, initial symptoms might include runny nose, sneezing and coughing. However, the onset of croup might precipitate a worsening of existing symptoms or the presence of emerging physical manifestations like fever, hoarseness and slight breathing difficulties.
Potential Treatment Options
In most cases, croup is short-lived, responds well to typical common cold home remedies and tends to resolve in anywhere from three to five days. That said, products known as essential oils have proven effective in treating certain cases of this malady.
What Are Essential Oils
Essential oils are plant extracts that often retain certain original properties such as their aroma following the specific process utilized to obtain said products from their original sources.
Essential Oils For Croup
There are several essential oils health and herbal product experts suggest might prove effective in combating croup-related symptoms. Said products include:
This product is taken from the lavender plant. When used therapeutically, the aroma of this essential oil is typically inhaled through a process known as aromatherapy. Parents of children stricken with the croup might apply lavender extract to vaporizers, which will enable the scent to be inhaled with greater ease. lavender has been known to soothe breathing passages and loosen phlegm (pathogen-laden waste product produced by irritated lungs).
Editor’s Pick for Lavender Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Lavender oil, 100% Pure and Natural, Has a Sweet and Fresh Lavender Flower Fragrance.
- LARGE 4 OZ BOTTLE: Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE LAVENDER ESSENTIL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
This essential oil is extracted from the chamomile flower. The substance is commonly used in the popular tea of the same name but can also be used for aromatherapy. Chamomile might be effective in battling the croup because the substance is known for its anti-inflammatory, infection-fighting capabilities and ability to eliminate nasal congestion (which could exacerbate the breathing problems associated with croup).
Editor’s Pick for Chamomile Essential Oil:
- 100% Pure & Natural Roman Chamomile Essential Oil - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- Don't Fall Victim To Cheap Diluted Roman Chamomile Oil - Most of the competition dilute their oil with a cheap carrier oil or even other potentially dangerous chemicals. Our roman chamomile oil is routinely tested for purity and other unique qualities in order to ensure you are buying the purest oil available
- Most 4 Ounce Roman Chamomile Oils Contain Less Than 1/3 Of Natural Oil - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% oil, however it's usually only 1/3 of the natural oil and 2/3 carrier oil.
This commonly used essential oil is taken from the well-known tropical fruit and is noted for promoting healthy breathing by loosening constricted airways. Certain medical professionals suggest applying coconut oil to the chest of a child stricken with croup.
Editor’s Pick for Coconut Essential Oil:
- Premium Quality Fractionated Coconut Oil - It is a fraction of the coconut oil from which almost all the long chain triglycerides are removed, thus leaving mainly the medium chain triglycerides and making it a great MCT oil. It is odorless, clear to yellow tint and No greasy feelings, does not stain and easily washes out of clothing and sheets. Does not become solid like regular coconut oil but keeps all the great properties. It has very long shelf life
- Other Uses: Coconut oil one of the most versatile oils. It's used as moisturizer, in recipes for tooth paste, as lip balm and in coconut shampoo. It's also used as a natural deodorant, for face wash, as hair conditioner, as eye makeup remover, as shaving cream, in sunburn remedies, for massage, aromatherapy and many other household uses and benefits
- Safety Warning: For external use only. Rub a very small amount on the inside of your elbow area to test for any allergic reaction before use. Avoid contact with eyes, keep out of the reach of children. If pregnant, consult with your health care provider before use
#4 Tea Tree
Extracted from the tea tree, this essential oil is commonly applied to the chest and throats of young persons afflicted with croup. The substance has produced favorable results treating coughing and respiratory congestion and inflammation. Additionally, some have also found success alleviating respiratory symptoms after applying this essential oil to bathwater.
Editor’s Pick for Tea Tree Essential Oil:
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC Tea Tree Essential oil, 100% Pure and Natural. Produced through steam distillation of Hand Picked, fresh Tea Tree leaves.
- LARGE 4 oz Amber Glass Bottle Comes with a High Quality Glass Dropper for Convenient Use.
- PURE TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Free of any Pesticides and other Chemicals.
Many essential oils can be purchased online or at various herbal supplement retailers.
Prior to starting a young child on any essential oil therapeutic regiment, parents or caregivers should first discuss treatment plan with a doctor to establish the most optimal remedial strategy and identify any potential hidden risks or dangers associated with said treatment.