If you’re looking for a natural way to improve your sleep, you might want to try taking collagen supplements. Collagen is a protein that’s found in the connective tissue of our bodies, and it’s responsible for supporting the structure and function of our skin, hair, nails, and joints.
It’s also been shown to have some pretty amazing benefits for our health, including improved sleep quality.
A recent study showed that taking a collagen supplement for eight weeks improved sleep quality in women. The participants who took the supplement reported better sleep quality and less daytime fatigue than those who didn’t take the supplement.
So, if you’re struggling with sleep issues, it might be worth giving collagen a try. You can find collagen supplements at most health food stores or online.
Why Glycine Helps With Sleep
A great benefit of taking collagen is the positive effect it can have on your sleep.
This is because collagen is loaded with the amino acid glycine, an inhibitory neurotransmitter that calms the central nervous system and helps us to unwind, relax, and fall asleep.
Glycine is an amino acid that helps the body produce serotonin, a neurotransmitter that plays a role in regulating sleep. Glycine also has relaxing properties that can help you fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.
Glycine is an amino acid that also provides a wide range of health benefits.
Some of the most notable glycine benefits include:
- Glycine helps to improve cognitive function and memory by acting as a neurotransmitter.
- Glycine helps to protect the liver from damage caused by toxins and alcohol.
- Glycine aids in the production of collagen, which is essential for healthy skin and bones.
- Glycine helps to regulate blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for people with diabetes.
- Glycine has been shown to boost the immune system, making it helpful in preventing colds and other illnesses.
- Glycine has anti-inflammatory properties, making it helpful in the treatment of arthritis and other inflammatory conditions.
- Glycine has been shown to promote healthy digestion and help relieve constipation.
- Glycine is a natural relaxant and can help to reduce stress and anxiety levels.
- Glycine supplements are often used as a sleep aid, as glycine promotes restful sleep.
- Glycine is beneficial for overall health and well-being.
Collagen’s Benefit for Mood
A University of South Florida study found that taking a collagen supplement for eight weeks improved symptoms of depression and anxiety in people with mild to moderate depression.
Collagen is believed to work by boosting levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that plays a role in mood regulation.
How to Choose a High Quality Collagen Supplement
If you’re considering taking a collagen supplement to improve your health, it’s important to choose a high quality product. Here are some tips to help you make the best choice:
1. Look for a supplement that contains hydrolyzed collagen. This type of collagen has been broken down into smaller peptides, making it easier for your body to absorb.
2. Choose a product that is free of additives and fillers. You want to be sure you’re getting pure collagen, not something that has been diluted with other ingredients.
3. Check the label to see where the collagen comes from. The best supplements use marine- or bovine-sourced collagen, as these have the highest quality and purity.
4. Make sure the collagen supplement you choose is third-party tested. This means it has been independently verified for safety and efficacy.
5. Talk to your doctor before taking a collagen supplement, especially if you have any health conditions or take medications.
By following these tips, you can be sure you’re choosing a high quality collagen supplement that will offer the most benefits for your health.