We’ve already learned that coconut oil is packed with essential vitamins and nutrients that are good for the body. Coconut oil for sinus problems is becoming a massive hit since researchers have found out its good effects in improving such conditions. It is abundant with antibacterial and antiviral properties that deeply cleanses the mouth to avoid or get rid of bacteria.
But before we proceed with some deeper details about the wonders of coconut oil for sinus, let us first slice and dice all the important notes you need to know about sinus infection.
How do you know if it’s already a sinus infection?
Symptoms can get hard to distinguish at times. These can include runny nose and watery eyes. Most often, we mistake these signs to colds. However, it can be an early sign of sinus infection. Listed below is a list of the common symptoms of colds and sinus infection. This can help you determine which condition you’re already experiencing.
You may find yourself surrounded by a bunch of tissue papers if a cold virus has attacked you. Typically, you’ll feel better in less than 10 days – without needing to consult a doctor because it gets better on its own.
Colds symptoms include:
- Sore throat
- Mucus buildup
- Stuffy nose
- Swollen sinuses
- Prevalent sneezing
A sinus infection occurs when the nasal packages get infected. Compared to colds, this condition is quite harder to get rid of. Allergies, viruses, and bacteria are among the common reasons for sinus infections. To clear things up, colds don’t usually lead to sinus infection.
Sinus infection symptoms include:
- Finding it hard to smell
- Headache getting worse than usual
- Prolonged runny, stuffy nose
- Postnasal drip – draining of thick yellow and green mucus from the nose back to your throat
- Bad breathe
Coconut Oil for Sinus: A Brief Guide
People nowadays are getting doubtful about the effects of antibiotics. Thus, more and more are trying to look for a more natural cure to help them recover from sinus infections. Luckily, coconut oil has been found as one of the most effective natural elements to help fight and avoid this condition.
Studies claim coconut oil to be a “miracle food.” As mentioned earlier, it is packed with the nutrients essential for the body’s holistic health. It is rich with good fatty acids and a variety of medicinal properties such as antioxidant, antifungal, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Sinus?
For sinus infection treatment, organic virgin coconut oil is advised. You can follow the tips below on how to use coconut oil for sinus properly:
- Sinus rinse – Mix coconut oil with purified water, and baking soda/salt. Use this mixture as a nasal rinse with the help of a dropper.
- Oil pulling – This technique is seen as one of the best ways to treat sinus problems. To do this, take one tbsp. of coconut oil in your mouth in the morning. Swish this oil around your mouth for about 20 minutes. Make sure not to swallow the oil and do this on an empty stomach. The process helps pull bacteria and toxins which have accumulated in your mouth.
- Eat coconut oil – Coconut oil is an excellent addition in your favorite food and drinks as it contains lauric acid and monolaurin. These properties help kill harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungi that can lead to sinus infection.