Are you pregnant and looking for the best sunscreen for pregnancy? Wow, that’s good news. Now you have a huge responsibility, and that includes protecting your unborn baby and yourself.
One of the steps to take is minding the kind of skincare product you slather on your skin henceforth.
The point is every expecting mama needs the best sunscreen for pregnancy. Nursing mothers are also not left out.
But it’s a bit confusing when it comes to choosing a sunscreen. Most people are even led to believe that every sunscreen is safe for pregnancy.
Well, the truth is, most products contain harsh chemicals that are not safe for your unborn baby and even the expecting mother.
Surprisingly, most of the organic filters women use while pregnant enters the bloodstream and can also crossover to the fetus. Scary, but it does happen.
Now the question is, are there safe sunscreens for pregnancy out there? The short answer is yes. And that’s the reason we have decided to compile this review for expecting mamas like you.
10 Best Sunscreen for Pregnancy
The skin becomes hypersensitive during pregnancy. Even women who don’t have sensitive skin may develop one.
However, the reason behind this is increased hormone levels. Another simple reason is that the skin stretches as the baby grows.
So your skin would be more sensitive to sun rays. And any skin condition you had even before you got pregnant (eczema, skin rashes, itchy skin) can become worse.
But here is the thing; most sunscreens do more harm than good, particularly during pregnancy.
But after a series of in-depth research and several considerations such as constituents of each product, brand reputation and other factors, we have managed to handpick 10 safe sunscreens for all pregnant women.
These products have no parabens, phthalates, retinoic acid, tretinoin, retinyl palmitate, and retinol, which can harm you and your unborn baby. Let’s take a look at how each product stands out.
Badger SPF30 Sunscreen & SPF35 Sport Sunscreen Face Sticker
- All Natural, Unscented, Eco-Friendly, Safe for kids, No animal testing, Made in the USA
The Badger SPF 30 and SPF 35 comprise of a body lotion and face sunscreen and is a must- have combo for the hot summer periods. Both products are also safe for adults and babies, given their constituents.
The face stick is a big plus. Application is simple, and it ensures that the sunscreen never enters your eyes during or after use.
Another highlighted feature of the Badger is that both products come packed with natural ingredients. One of them is Shea butter, which has natural sunscreen properties.
Beeswax is another proven constituent in this formula. It helps to lower the effects sun rays have on the skin. It also heals sunburns you may have previously sustained.
It is also a well-known fact that sunscreens with zinc oxide (20% or high) offer better protection from UVA and UVB rays.
The Badger sunscreens contain 20.5 per cent pharmaceutical-grade zinc oxide. And as a consequence, they both offer better protection from any skin-damaging sun rays.
The particle size of the zinc oxide, coated with safe silicone derivative, is 200nm. What this implies is that it can’t enter into your bloodstream via your skin.
Coola Organic Baby Mineral Sunscreen
- 100% Natural
- Shields skin from pollutants like smog and dust
- Ultra Water Resistant (80 minutes)
- 70%+ certified organic ingredients
- Plankton and organic beeswax naturally boost spf protection
Are you looking for an organic sunscreen that is safe for babies and expectant mothers? Look no further. This Coola Organic sunscreen fits the bill.
Coola is an award-winning fragrance-free formula suitable for pregnant women. It is ideal for all skin types and contains no trace of irritants.
This sunscreen does not only protect (thanks to its organic cocoa constituent) but enhances the natural line of defense your skin has. After all, it’s a broad spectrum antioxidant cream with SPF 50.
The formula has 70 per cent organic ingredients. One of which is the coconut oil with unique sun-shielding properties. It also moisturizes sunburn skins and minimizes peeling and itching.
Then there is sesame oil that forms a natural barrier to protect the skin from smoke and other harmful pollutants. It also keeps dryness at bay and prevents rashes, which make it a reasonable choice for babies.
The only drawback is that the cream is a bit heavy. But that is not a deal-breaker since it does the job. And besides, all high SPF creams are that way.
Coola Mineral Face Matte Moisturizer SPF 30
- Natural Cucumber Scent
- Immediate line-smoothing finish
- Water Resistant (40 minutes)
- Infused with Certified Organic Ingredients
- Soothing organic cucumber balances skin's moisture and delivers a refreshing scent
This Coola sunscreen comes produced specially for your face. And unlike other poorly made sunscreens, it will never clog your skin’s pores.
You will notice that it gets absorbed immediately you apply on your face.
For those with highly sensitive skin (a common situation pregnant women faces), the Coola SPF 30 is a wise choice. There is no trace of preservatives or irritants in this formula.
It contains soothing organic ingredients, which includes flaxseed oil and evening primrose. The evening primrose hydrates your skin and mitigates future breakouts.
The flaxseed oil, a rich source of fatty acids, helps the skin to heal faster. It also seals moisture in your skin and balances out the natural oil the skin produces.
Thinksun Everyday Face Sunscreen
- Top rated by EWG skin deep database with a "1" rating since 2010. First sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care requirements
- Free of biologically harmful chemicals: no avobenzone, oxybenzone, paraben, phthalate, paba and 1,4 dioxane free or UV chemical absorbers
- SPF 30, water resistance (80 minutes), broad-spectrum coverage as with natural tint.
- Non-nano zinc oxide formulation average particle size >100micron, non-aerosol formulation (high concern of both ineffectiveness and particulates being inhaled)
- Natural tinted formula, perfect for every day use or as a base layer. Blends with just about every skin tone.
Stop using sunscreens with harsh and harmful chemicals. Protect your health and that of your baby.
This Thinksport Everyday Face Sunscreen has no trace of parabens, phthalates and harmful chemicals. So it’s suitable for pregnancy.
The product contains the non-nano zinc oxide with a particle size of 100micron. And this non- nano zinc oxide cannot enter into your bloodstream, let alone affecting your baby.
But for a better result, apply this formula on areas of your skin exposed to the sun rays, at least 15 minutes before stepping out. The reason is to give your skin time to absorb the sunscreen for better protection.
It also has a light natural tint that blends well when applied on fair skins, but it suits all skin tones. You can even use your makeup and this sunscreen together.
Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF50
- First sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care requirements and top-rated by EWG since creation in 2010 with a “1” rating. Recipient of more awards than any other sun care line.
- Free of biologically harmful chemicals like avobenzone, oxybenzone, paraben, phthalates, PABA, 1,4 dioxane, and UV chemical absorbers.
- Highly effective with an SPF at 50+. Highest level of water resistance per the FDA (80-minute water resistance) and broad-spectrum coverage for UVA and UVB.
- Reef Friendly: Free of known reef damaging chemicals and achieves the highest level of biodegradability Non-nano zinc oxide formulation, non-aerosol formulation
- Applies and absorbs easily without the oily feeling or obtrusive smell of traditional sunscreens. Cruelty Free (Leaping Bunny) certified, Gluten free & Vegan
The company, Thinkbaby, has been one of the most outstanding sunscreen makers in the beauty niche across the globe. The multi-award-winning sunscreen, the Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF50, shows just how good their line of beauty products is.
As claimed, the Thinkbaby Safe SPF 50 is 100% safe for your skin, whether you are pregnant or not. Check the EWG (Environmental Working Group Skin Deep) database, and you will find that this highly-rated sunscreen has a “1” rating.
This rating shows how safe the product is. And for the records, the lower the number or rating a product has, the safer it is.
This formula also uses a non-nano 20 per cent zinc oxide, which sits on top of your skin deflecting the sun’s damaging UV rays.
The cream is also effortless to apply and has a milder smell, unlike other sunscreens whose smell might seem like an assault on your nostrils.
Waxhead Zinc oxide Sunscreen Stick
- 4 INGREDIENTS - All certified organic and mineral ingredients. 100% toxin free, biodegradable, reef safe, no petrochemicals, cruelty-free, eco-friendly. Safe sunscreen for Hawaii, Key West and Florida Keys.
- SERIOUS SUNSCREEN - Takes a bit of effort to spread in. A little goes a long way, then stays on in extreme conditions and works like no other (true UVA/UVB protection). No sunscreen is safer or more effective. Made in USA.
- NON TOXIC - Non-nano zinc oxide 25%. Baby safe, no toxins, ocean safe, infant safe, broad spectrum. NO oxybenzone. NO octinoxate. NO junk chemicals. NO petrochemicals at all.
- HUGE - Large stick is easy to swipe, dot, spread and rub on face, lips, nose, ears and other body parts. See exactly where you’re applying it. Tattoo sunscreen stick too!
- GOOD FOR YOU - Non-greasy, moisturizing, hypoallergenic, non-aerosol, non-irritating, light natural vanilla and coconut oil scent. Won’t run or sting eyes.
Waxhead Sunscreen is another safe and highly-rated sunscreen for pregnancy. It claims to be 100% toxin-free, reef safe and eco-friendly.
However, the EWG gives this Waxhead Sunscreen a “1” rating as shown on its skin deep database.
This low rating is a clear confirmation of the sunscreen’s low hazard content. So in terms of safety, the Waxhead is safe for any skin type or individual, including pregnant women.
This formula comes packed with 25 per cent non-nano zinc oxide for a robust UVB and UVA protection.
Furthermore, its light natural coconut oil and vanilla scent make it a joy to apply on the skin.
The vanilla extract in the formula also does more than adding a pleasant scent to this sunscreen. It has proven anti-inflammatory properties that help to calm and soothe irritated skin.
CeraVe Mineral Baby Sunscreen SPF 45
- [ 100% NATURALLY SOURCED & NO NASTIES ] Naturally sourced physical sunscreen ingredients and free of parabens and sulfates
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) that help restore and maintain its natural protective barrier
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM ] Protect baby's delicate skin from sun's damaging UVA and UVB rays
- [ GENTLE ON SKIN ] Hypoallergenic, non-irritating and fragrance free to avoid fragrance irritation
- [ IDEAL FOR ALL SKIN TYPES ] Water resistant (80 minutes)
The CeraVe is another highly-rated SPF 45 Sunscreen that is suitable for babies. But expecting mothers and adults can apply it.
There is no irritant of any sort in this formula. All you will find are natural ingredients — no parabens, sulfates or fragrance.
However, being hypoallergenic is not the only highlighted feature of this sunscreen. It comes loaded with three essential ceramides, which are ceramides 1, 3, 6-II.
These ingredients help to maintain the skin’s natural protective barrier and ensure your skin does not dry out from the sun’s scorching heat.
Its active ingredients, on the other hand, consist of zinc oxide and titanium oxide, which are two powerful and safe minerals.
You can also apply this sunscreen to any skin type, whether oily or dry skin. The only drawback is that the cream is a bit thick to rub in but still protects the skin and is super easy to wash off.
To remove CeraVe after application, wash with soap and water. It’s that simple.
Kiss My Face Hot Spots Sunscreen SPF30
- Practice Safe Sun with a Cruelty Free sunscreen that's blended with moisturizing Aloe & Vitamin E.
- Broad Spectrum spf30 protection & Water Resistant for 40 minutes
- Essential for protecting the delicate skin on lips, nose, cheeks and ears.
- Cruelty Free, Oxybenzone Free, Paraben Free, Phthalate Free & Gluten Free. Leaping Bunny Certified.
- Kiss My Face. Kiss it & make it better.
This Kiss My Face Sunscreen comes from a beauty company that is so committed to making your skin look attractive and healthy.
The Kiss My Face Sunscreen is so mild that you can use it on highly sensitive areas like your lips, ears, nose, and cheek and even around your eyes.
There’s no parabens, gluten, phthalates, oxybenzone and its cruelty-free. Instead, it comes packed with beeswax, aloe Vera, coconut oil and other natural ingredients that help to soften, protect and moisturize the skin.
The only drawback is that it lasts just 40 minutes in water. But it’s still a wise choice for surfing even though it doesn’t last long in the water.
You won’t also perceive any smell from this sunscreen. Another highlighted feature is the natural ingredients it contains. One of them is the sea buckthorn oil, which helps your skin to heal from sunburns.
Then there is rosehip oil, rich in vitamin C and fatty acids that helps to sooth your skin. It offers antioxidants that combine well with vitamin C and vitamin E to eliminate the free radicals that UV rays produce.
Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sheer Mineral Sunscreen
Let this broad-spectrum UVA and UVB mineral sunscreen become an integral part of your everyday beauty routine. The Juice Beauty SPF 30 is a product that blends into your skin seamlessly.
It comes packed with antioxidant-rich aloe vera, grape and pomegranate juices to give you that even-toned, protected and radiant complexion you crave.
Sunflower oil is among the beneficial ingredients in this formula. It’s also a well-known non- irritant absorbed quickly by the skin and does not clog pores when applied on the skin.
Also, the sunflower oil and jojoba in this formula will help to prevent your skin from drying out.
And, unlike other sunscreens at this price point, the Juice Beauty SPF 30 does not feel sticky or oily.
You might observe a white color after applying the cream on your skin. But it fades out completely within a few minutes.
This product also contains a reasonable amount of zinc oxide and is suitable for all skin types.
Alba Botanica Fragrance Free Clear Spray Sensitive SPF 50 Sunscreen
- One 6 oz. bottle of Alba Botanica Fragrance Free Clear Spray Sensitive SPF 50 Sunscreen
- Lightweight, air powered mist made with botanical ingredients
- Provides broad spectrum protection, is water resistant for up to 80 minutes and is coral reef safe
- No oxybenzone, octinoxate, synthetic fragrances
- Recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation
The Alba Botanical, as the name implies, comes produced with botanical ingredients. It contains mineral constituents that make it light to rub in and fast-absorbing as well.
This formula contains proven ingredients that not only soothes but protects the skin. The first is sunflower seed oil, which helps to retain moisture and protects the skin when exposed to sunlight.
There’s also grape seed oil with well-known anti-inflammatory properties.
Grape seed has linoleic acid and does not clog the skin’s pores. Instead, it brightens your skin tone and is rich in compounds that fight against free radical damage.
The Alba Botanical sunscreen SPF 50 is reef-friendly, fragrance-free and gluten-free. It’s also a product vegan, and non-vegans can use.
The Best Sunscreen for Pregnancy That's Essential for Pregnancy
Pregnancy comes with a lot of changes. During this stage, your skin automatically becomes highly sensitive. So it’s not a good idea to expose yourself to the sun if you are not using a powerful sunscreen.
Regular exposure can give rise to avoidable skin conditions. Among them are skin cancer and even discoloration of your skin. Sun exposure triggers melasma, a situation where the body produces excess melanin. However, hormonal changes that occur when you are pregnant can also give rise to this condition.
So, sunscreens are essential during pregnancy and even after giving birth. They protect your skin from UVB and UVA rays daily and helps to nourish it as well.
The Sunscreen to Choose During Pregnancy
The market is awash with numerous sunscreens, with some claiming to be highly effective. A sunscreen whose SPF level is decent isn’t a bad idea. But other things matter not just SPF levels. Below are factors to consider before choosing a sunscreen for pregnancy.
The SPF value is essential when choosing a sunscreen. The full meaning is the sun protection factor. A sunscreen with SPF 30 and above would offer better protection, but the higher the value, the better.
You can see how we tried to elaborate on the ingredient that makes each of the reviewed products to stand out. But before splashing the cash on any sunscreen, ensure it does not contain ingredients you don’t need.
A sunscreen with low hazard rating, as shown on the EWG skin deep platform will make a wise choice. Then there is the non-nano titanium and zinc oxide, which is ideal for pregnancy. These active ingredients rest on the skin once applied. They won’t get into your bloodstream, let alone crossover to the fetus to harm your baby.
These set of sunscreens helps to protect the skin from UVA and UVB rays, which are two skin-damaging rays from the sun. But they cause different damages. UVA causes sunburns, while UVB is responsible for skin ageing. And impressively, most the sunscreens in this review are broad-spectrum sunscreens. You can go through the list before making your choices.
Do you know that once you become pregnant, cells responsible for the production of pigment goes into overdrive? Yes, they do. That’s why little sun exposure can cause skin discoloration and other unwanted skin conditions.
But you can maintain your natural complexion and protect your skin with the best sunscreen for pregnancy. These products are safe for expecting mothers and their unborn babies. With the best sunscreen for pregnancy at your disposal, you can nourish, moisturize and maintain your skin’s natural complexion with ease.