A main indicator of psoriasis includes thick patches of red, scaly, and itchy skin. Fortunately, there are medications to help reduce these uncomfortable and often painful symptoms. However, you should also consider the type of soap you use. Something as simple as bathing with a soap designed to help reduce your psoriasis symptoms can provide you much needed relief. Below we’ll review the best soap for psoriasis.
What is Psoriasis?
Although the exact cause is not known, psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that causes the body’s immune system to attack an otherwise healthy body. For individuals with psoriasis, the body mistakenly produces too many T cells. T cells protect the body from foreign substances that can be harmful to an otherwise healthy individual. However, individuals with psoriasis have high T cell counts, which results in the excess T cells attacking healthy skin cells. This ongoing attack results in the painful condition known as psoriasis.
7 of the Best Soap for Psoriasis
#1 Aspen Kay Naturals
- MADE WITH ORGANIC SKIN LOVING OILS: Organic Unrefined Shea Butter, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Sustainable Palm Oil and Organic Castor Oil.
- FOR ALL SKIN TYPES. Use as a face soap, body soap or shaving soap. For men, women and teens. Can be used to help with Acne, Eczema and Psoriasis
- NATURALLY SCENTED With Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils Of Lemongrass, Peppermint and Eucalyptus
First on our list of best soap for psoriasis is this cruelty-free soap from Aspen Kay Naturals is vegan and comprised of mud from the Dead Sea as well as activated charcoal to provide you with the best soap for psoriasis. The mineral mud comes directly from Israel and is imbued with over 21 different minerals that naturally provide superior care for your skin. This versatile soap can be used on all skin types and can be used as a face, body, and shaving soap. Designed to help reduce skin issues that result from psoriasis, this soap is perfect for women, men, and teens.
Every bar is handmade by Aspen Kay Natural’s artisan soap maker and is comprised of certified organic oils. It is also free of preservatives and harsh chemicals. Essential oils, such as lemongrass and peppermint, give this soap its refreshing scent.
This essential oil is used to relieve headaches and ease digestion. However, in terms of helping with the symptoms of psoriasis, this oil is known for reducing inflammation.
In addition to its pleasing scent, the addition of peppermint oil helps to relieve the itching that many people with psoriasis experience on a daily basis.
Another essential oil, eucalyptus brings an antiseptic property to this soap, which helps to remove unwanted microorganisms. Eucalyptus also helps to calm skin that is red and irritated.
Certified Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Because high-quality olive oil is filled with linoleic, palmitic, and oleic acids as well as polyphenols, the inclusion of this ingredient ensures your skin will remain hydrated. Additionally, polyphenols are an integral component in the replacement of damaged cells as well as the growth of new cells.
Certified Organic Castor Bean Oil
An effective facial cleanser, castor bean oil helps to remove impurities from the skin that may clog pores. Preventing clogged pores will help reduce the likelihood of inflammation.
Certified Organic Sunflower Oil
Rich in vitamin E, sunflower oil has been shown to help in the reduction of skin inflammation. It is also an excellent moisturizer for dry and flaky skin.
#2 The Yellow Bird
- Clears Skin Naturally for a healthy, soft glow. Our Charcoal Soap is great for men and women with all skin types! A great everyday organic face cleanser and body wash for those suffering with acne, eczema, psoriasis, or rosacea.
- Chemical-Free Skincare. Made with the highest grade natural and certified organic ingredients that are less likely to irritate or dry sensitive skin. Formulated with activated charcoal and moisturizing shea butter to remove blemishes and impurities.
- A Perfect Face And Body Wash. We make our soap by hand in the USA through traditional, small batch, cold processed method to best preserve the quality and effectiveness of our all-natural ingredients.
This hand-crafted soap from The Yellow Bird is made in small batches. Each batch is made using a cold-process method, which preserves the effectiveness and quality of the all-natural ingredients. Additionally, this soap provides you a creamy lather that penetrates deep into the skin to help relieve dryness and itch. Perfect for both men and women, it is designed for all skin types and is a great choice to help anyone suffering from psoriasis.
Made from organic ingredients, this soap will not irritate your skin. In fact, there are no unwanted ingredients, such as sulfates, chemical preservatives, or synthetic fragrances. As such, you can use this soap every day to rid your skin of impurities.
Additionally, this soap is vegan and does not include any genetically modified organism (GMO). Finally, if you do not like this soap, The Yellow Bird will provide a full refund.
For skin that is dry and itchy, it is hard to beat the naturally moisturizing abilities contained in this ingredient. Moreover, you will benefit from softer skin and an overall healthier appearance.
Lavender is an essential oil commonly known for its pleasant smell as well as its calming abilities. However, it also has powerful antibacterial properties.
This essential oil contains both astringent and antiseptic properties. Astringents help to cleanse the skin and dry out oil trapped within the skin. Lemongrass’s antiseptic properties inhibit the growth of microorganisms that live on or in the skin. Additionally, it helps to soothe skin irritations.
Activated charcoal naturally binds with oils, toxins, and dirt. In doing so, it helps to cleanse the skin without the use of harsh chemicals that can irritate the skin.
#3 SheaMoisture African Black Soap
- MOISTURIZES: Certified organic Shea Butter and natural ingredients known to promote healing of skin affected by symptoms of eczema and psoriasis
- ANTI-BACTERIAL: Certified organic ingredients such as aloe, lemon balm and gotu kola keep bacteria at bay and work well to fight acne
- SOOTHES: The richness of organic ingredients such as aloe keep skin soothed and protected
The African black soap from SheaMoisture is infused with all-natural ingredients that help heal skin suffering from the effects of psoriasis. For instance, the moisturizing properties of this soap will easily soothe skin that would otherwise remain dry and irritated.
Infused with antibacterial properties, this soap is comprised of certified organic ingredients that gently remove bacteria without causing further irritation. Designed to soothe and protect skin, this soap incorporates the therapeutic power of aloe and sea wrack to help alleviate the painful and itchy symptoms of psoriasis.
African black soap
African black soap is safe for all skin types and is known for its ability to soothe irritated skin. In addition to having antibacterial properties, it is a natural moisturizer and exfoliator.
Tea tree oil
A natural antiseptic, tea tree oil works to calm irritated skin.
Aloe contains anti-inflammatory properties. As such, it can help reduce irritation, scaliness, and itching.
Japanese sea wrack is a type of seaweed that is comprised of natural exfoliants. These natural exfoliants help to gently eliminate the daily buildup of dirt, toxins, and oils. In addition to leaving your skin looking healthier, the exfoliants help to stimulate and refresh your skin.
Oats help your skin in two ways. First, oats naturally soothe irritated skin. Second, oats help to absorb excess oil that can trap dirt and toxins in your skin.
This extract is a natural astringent that works to exfoliate your skin.
#4 One With Nature Dead Sea Salt Soap
- SOAP IS KNOWN TO BE MORE EFFECTIVE AT KILLING GERMS THAN SANITIZERS
- PSORIASIS, ECZEMA, ACNE, SKIN CONDITIONS: Dead Sea treatment studies show significant improvements
- CLEANSE, EXFOLIATE, BALANCE, SOFTEN AND DETOXIFY SKIN: With Dead Sea Salt’s uniquely high mineral composition
Next on our list of best soap for psoriasis is this salt soap from One With Nature is designed to detoxify, exfoliate, and balance skin suffering from psoriasis. Harvested from the southern Dead Sea, this soap delivers a high concentration of therapeutic minerals. This mineral-rich soap helps to restore your skin’s pH balance and helps accelerate your skin’s natural exfoliating ability. It is free of fragrances or other synthetic chemicals and is intended for use by both men and women as well as children.
While many sea salts are comprised of sodium chloride, the natural therapeutic qualities of this soap lie in the incorporation of over 21 minerals. The high concentration and unique combination of minerals work together to help reduce redness and relieve itching as well as help hydrate the skin. Consequently, Dead Sea salt soap is a great choice for combating the symptoms of psoriasis. For instance, in addition to improving circulation, washing your skin with this soap helps decrease skin scales and promotes the growth of new and healthier skin tissue.
This soap is milled at the One With Nature’s soap mill, which is located at the Dead Sea. The process, called triple milling, delivers a higher-quality soap that is packed with nutrients and lasts longer than most other bars. Finally, this soap is non-GMO, cruelty free, and comes with a money-back guarantee.
This oil helps to hydrate your skin. It is rich in Vitamin E and also contains anti-inflammatory properties as well as antiseptic properties to help calm irritated skin.
Roundtable Sustainable Palm Oil (RPSO)
Roundtable Sustainable Palm Oil (RPSO) is known to help hydrate skin and provide nourishment to skin affected by psoriasis.
This soap contains minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, and potassium. These minerals help hydrate the skin, reduce redness, and relieve itching. The soap is also comprised of minerals, such as bromide and sulfur, which promote the growth of new skin cells.
#5 Natrulo Eczema and Psoriasis Soap
- SOOTHES & PROTECTS: This natural soap for eczema is formulated with calendula that soothes and protects the skin to help prevent further reactions caused by eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions.
- PROMOTES SOFT, SUPPLE SKIN: Formulated with hydrating olive oil, coconut oil and cocoa butter, this calendula soap makes your skin feel soft and supple and relieves any itchiness or flaking.
- NUTRIENT-RICH: This natural eczema relief soap takes a minimum of 3 months to create due to its nutrient-dense formula that involves infusing olive oil with dried calendula in order to ensure maximum absorption.
Natrulo is a nutrient-dense soap that infuses olive oil with dried calendula. This complex process helps to maintain the integrity of the nutrients and maximize their effectiveness. Designed to soothe irritated skin, Natrulo also provides protection from additional skin reactions for individuals affected by psoriasis. Cocoa butter and coconut oil offer relief from the itching and flaking that many psoriasis sufferers experience.
Made from herbs and pure essential oils, Natrulo does not contain any harsh chemicals, phthalates, or artificial dyes. It is also free of fragrance, gluten, and GMOs. As such, this soap is a good choice for anyone in need of relief from dry, itchy, or flaky skin.
Calendula is known for its healing properties. As such, it is often used to help scrapes, cuts, and other wounds heal. Moreover, it contains natural anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. Understandably, it is a natural addition to a soap designed to help treat psoriasis.
Ground oats are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants play an important part in the fight against inflammation. As such, oats work to soothe inflamed skin. They also help to keep your skin moisturized.
Another great moisturizer, cocoa butter hydrates as well as nourishes your skin. Cocoa butter also plays an important role in eliminating rashes caused by psoriasis.
Coconut oil contains anti-inflammatory properties as well as antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. As such, the inclusion of coconut oil in the soap helps to eliminate bacterial infections and the growth of potentially damaging microorganisms.
#6 The Soap Haven
- 100% All Natural Goat Milk Soap - Handmade in the USA. Pure, natural fresh goat's milk provides unparalleled skin nourishment - way better than any bird's processed stuff 😉
- CONTAINS HONEY - one of nature's best moisturizers. It also soothes skin with it's anti-inflammatory and antiseptic powers.
- CRAP-FREE. NO sulfates, parabens, or other harsh and potentially harmful chemicals. Made with fresh goat milk with non-GMO soy, coconut oil, organic sustainable palm, and pure honey.
Specially designed to help individuals suffering from psoriasis, this soap from The Soap Haven is comprised of milk from goats. As such, it provides superior nourishment for your skin. This soap’s antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties work together to soothe irritated skin and decrease inflammation.
Designed for all skin types, this soap can also be used on sensitive skin. For instance, there are no artificial fragrances or essential oils that might irritate skin. However, this soap exudes a pleasing scent that is the result of the mixture of natural honey and milk harvested from goats.
This soap is comprised of a variety of ingredients, such as coconut oil and organic palm oil. These oils help soothe, heal, and hydrate your skin. Additionally, there are no chemicals, GMOs, or harsh ingredients in the soap. For instance, many soaps contain sodium laureth sulfate (SLS), which can irritate or damage your skin. In fact, such chemicals can worsen the symptoms of psoriasis.
Goat milk is sourced locally from goat breeds that provide milk containing high levels of fatty acids. Fatty acids help to produce your skin’s natural oil barrier, which helps your skin to remain hydrated.
Soy helps to boost the production of collagen, reduce redness, and helps tighten skin.
#7 Essentials West African Black Soap by Atttire
- INGREDIENTS: Pure honey, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Osun(Camwood), Puriﬁed Water, Aloe Vera, Cocoa Pod, Palm Oil, Natural Sodium, Natural Vitamin A & E, Iron, Palm Kernel oil.
- 100% ALL NATURAL, PURE and HANDMADE with unreﬁned SHEA BUTTER. ORGANIC, FAIR TRADE, VEGAN and never tested on animals. Contains iron, Vitamin A, and Vitamin E to promote healthy skin and hair.
- DIRECTIONS: This large 1LB block will last you for many months. Use as-is, or cut a sliver oﬀ the block and use. Dice and grate into a bottle of pure water to create a body wash. Use as general soap and rinse well.
Never tested on animals, the West African Black soap from Atttire is handmade from natural ingredients. This soap’s natural ability to nourish your skin makes it perfect for use on the face and body. Additionally, it can be used as a shampoo.
Made in Ghana, West Africa, this soap is comprised of an ancient recipe that does not include preservatives, artificial fragrances, or harsh chemicals. It does, however, include organic ingredients as well as a variety of vitamins and oils that leave your skin feeling younger, softer, and rejuvenated.
In terms of relieving your psoriasis symptoms, there are a variety of ways to wash with this soap. For instance, you can grate or dice the soap. With the soap grated, you can then add the shavings to a bottle of water and use it as body wash.
However, due to the raw ingredients, you should not rub the soap directly onto your skin. Instead, you should lather the soap in a washcloth before applying it to your skin. When using the soap as a body wash, you should rub gently across any irritated skin.
Honey naturally contains anti-inflammatory properties.
This ingredient provides a variety of skin benefits as it contains antiseptic, astringent, and antibacterial properties. It is also known for its anti-inflammatory abilities and antioxidants. The antioxidants work to improve circulation. Improved circulation helps facilitate the removal of toxins. Additionally, it helps fight the formation of free radicals in your skin. It also helps to repair the damage to the skin caused by free radicals.
Imbued with anti-inflammatory properties, cocoa is known for its ability to firm as well as soften the skin. Additionally, this antioxidant-rich ingredient helps in the fight against free radicals.
Vitamin A is an essential nutrient that supports healthy skin. For instance, it helps skin heal faster and helps boost the skin’s natural moisturizing abilities.
Vitamin E nourishes the skin and provides protection from the damaging effects of free radicals.