Having curly hair requires you to choose a moisturizing shampoo. This isn’t optional because curly hair tends to be dryer than straight hair. As a result, you need to select a formulation that accommodates the unique needs of your curls. This means taking a close look at the ingredients to make sure the shampoo used doesn’t have the wrong sulfates. Why? Because certain sulfates can make curly and dry hair brittle. Quite frankly, finding the best shampoo for curly hair isn’t always easy.
10 of the Best Shampoos for Curly Hair
In an effort to address the issue of dryness, some shampoos have too much oil, which can make curly hair greasy. There’s also the issue of your hair becoming frizzy if the wrong products are used. This is especially problematic when there is humidity in the air. A good shampoo can combat the frizz issue by smoothing out your strands. The key is to find a product that strikes the right balance so that it leaves your hair moisturized, soft, shiny, bouncy and smooth. Check out the list of 10 shampoos below that are great for curly hair.
#1 DevaCurl Low-Poo Original Mild Lather Cleanser
- ORIGINAL LOW-POO SHAMPOO:If you have wavy hair that needs weightless moisture, the Low-Poo is a must-have for body and frizz control. The mild lather shampoo is great for a thorough, yet gentle cleanse. This shampoo gives weightless moisture and soft, frizz-free waves. Low-Poo Original is great for all curl types. The mild lather is ideal for fine hair that needs a thorough, yet gentle cleanse.
- GENTLE CLEANSER SHAMPOO: This mild-lathering cleanser, made with gentle hops and soothing chamomile, cleans and hydrates the scalp and hair without stripping away the natural oils your curls need. Low-Poo leaves you with healthy-looking shine and bounce.
- HOW TO USE DEVACURL SHAMPOO: Wet your waves in the shower, apply the low-poo cleanser to your scalp and massage with your fingertips. As you begin to rinse, allow the water to help move the Low-Poo through the ends. Make sure to rinse thoroughly by massaging your scalp again as the water runs over your waves. When the shampoo is rinsed out, follow with DevaCurl Original Conditioner.
DevaCurl Low-Poo Original Mild Lather Cleanser has been a long-time favorite of women and men with curly hair. It’s even used by stylists because it doesn’t have a lot of the sulfates that other shampoos have. Another reason why it’s chosen for curly hair is because it’s a hydrating shampoo that’s good at keeping your scalp moisturized. This product is gentle and has a medium lather. Despite the fact that you might not see a lot of suds, it does an exceptional job at cleaning your hair and scalp without resulting in dryness. This is partially because the formula includes chamomile.
#2 Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
- Gentle cleansing enhances curl, combats frizz and boosts shine on curly or wavy hair
- Dramatically reduces frizz and defines curl up to 57 percent
- Refreshing citrus aroma with certified organic lime, lemon, bergamot, orange and other pure plant and flower essences
Aveda Be Curly Shampoo tends to be a favorite of those who truly appreciate natural ingredients. Aveda products are known for being gentle, yet effective. This shampoo is especially amazing if your curls are lifeless and you want to give them a little boost. It’s also a good choice if you deal with frizz and want to find a way to combat it effectively. In fact, Aveda Be Curly Shampoo is known to significantly cut the amount of frizz you have. It’s also highly effective at enhancing your hair’s natural shine.
#3 Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Shampoo
If you have struggled to control hair that’s easily tangled and dry, Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Shampoo might be the best choice for you. It works so well because of incredible ingredients that include chamomile, vitamins, corn oil and wheat amino acids. It also doesn’t have phthalates, which is a chemical compound found in some shampoos that’s believed to pose health risks. One of the best attributes of this shampoo is that it perfectly hydrates your hair even while giving it a thorough cleansing. Many people with curly hair recognize that they don’t have to wash it daily. This is a shampoo that allows you to skip a day and your hair will still look great.
#4 Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Sulfate-Free Shampoo
- It builds weightless, thicker-looking volume, and enhances natural movement
- Works especially well in areas of high humidity
- Protects hair during aggressive heat styling up to 446 degrees
Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Sulfate-Free Shampoo has the power to bring back just about anyone’s curls. It contains jojoba, coconut and macadamia oils, but it doesn’t have silicones or sulfates. In fact, if you typically wear your curly hair straight, you’ll want to try this shampoo when you’re ready to restore your curls. Since the formulation includes protein, you’ll find that your hair is stronger and looks healthier. Like many other Garnier Fructis products, this shampoo has a wonderful fragrance.
#5 Pantene Pro-V Curl Perfection Shampoo
- Curl-defining shampoo for curly hair gently cleanses while leaving hair moisturized
- Infuses hair with a Frizz Calming Complex that seals and smoothes cuticle edges to keep curls defined and to help control frizz
- Antioxidant formula in this shampoo for curly hair keeps hair strong against damage
If you are determined to fight frizz, Pantene Pro-V Curl Perfection Shampoo is the way to go. It doesn’t have parabens, aluminum or dye. You can also use this shampoo if you have color-treated, relaxed or permed hair and you want to avoid damage. This shampoo is aptly named because it’s perfect at reducing frizz.
#6 Carol’s Daughter Coco Crème Curl Quenching Shampoo
- MOISTURIZING SHAMPOO: Let your hair soak up this creamy moisturizing sulfate-free shampoo that softens while it cleanses, giving extra dry hair an extreme moisture experience.
- EXTRA MOISTURE FOR CURLY HAIR: Quench the thirst of extremely dry hair with Coco Crme Sulfate-Free Shampoo, Creamy Conditioner, Velvet Cream Hair Mask, & Moisture Butter for hydrated, defined curls & coils.
- SULFATE-FREE SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER are ideal for curly hair, hair prone to dryness, & any hair type that needs a little extra moisture protection. Use sulfate-free conditioner & shampoo together for best results.
Keeping coily hair hydrated can become a masterful undertaking and Carol’s Daughter Coco Crème Curl Quenching Shampoo is the right product for the job. If your hair is thick and extra dry, this shampoo will help your curls get back on track. product is impressive because it doesn’t contain any artificial colors, parabens or sulfates. The best part is that your hair will be easier to manage.
#7 Biolage 3 Butter Control System Shampoo
- Butter Control
If you want to see quick results when repairing damaged and dry hair, Biolage 3 Butter Control System Shampoo is the right choice. It does a great job at controlling frizz and is an exceptional moisturizer. This shampoo has cupuacu and murumuru butters, which is partially why it’s so good at eliminating dryness. Another benefit is that it doesn’t contain artificial colors, parabens or sulfates.
#8 Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino & Avocado Hydrating Shampoo
- Softens and smooths hair
- Enhances curls
- Gently cleanses
Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino & Avocado Hydrating Shampoo is great at keeping your curly hair hydrated because it doesn’t strip it of natural oils. It’s a shampoo that decreases frizz and enhances your curls. This shampoo doesn’t contain silicones, gluten, artificial dyes or DEA.
#9 SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo
- 3 Pieces - 13 Ounce (384ml)
- With Silk Protein And Neem Oil,
- Moisturizes And Shines Hair,
If you have curly hair, then you know how hard it is to keep your hair untangled. SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo will help you combat this issue by making you hair much easier to comb through. It’s free of phthalates, mineral oil, parabens, formaldehyde and petroleum. This shampoo contains coconut oil, silk protein, and neem oil.
#10 Ouai Curl Shampoo
If you prefer a shampoo that’s lightweight, Ouai Curl Shampoo is a great option because it doesn’t weigh your hair down. It not only leaves your hair bouncy, it also results in much softer curls. Most people that have used this shampoo talk about the amazing scent. This is because it contains Turkish rose, Italian lemon, iris, jasmine sambac, white musk and lily. It’s also free of phthalates, sulfates and parabens.
Since everyone’s curls are unique, you’ll have to find what works best for you when choosing all hair products. If you’re searching for the best shampoo for curly hair, you will likely be happy with any of the options listed above.