Primer is one of the most undeniably important parts of a make-up routine. Aside from preparing the skin before putting up a foundation, it is also responsible for helping the makeup to last longer. It covers the skin’s imperfections and controls shine, but primers can work differently because there are many types of primers such as oil-based primers, non-comedogenic primers and so on. Choosing the best primers for acne prone skin can be a challenge.
For people with acne-prone skin, they have to be more careful and mindful in choosing a primer to use. They have to use a primer that will not trigger any breakouts or cause excess oil production. Oil-free and oil-absorbing primer are good products to use, as well as mattifying primers.
If you are looking for best primers for acne prone skin, especially oil-free and non-comedogenic primers, we made a list that will give you ideas on the best primer to use.
Coola Suncare Mineral Face SPF 30 Sunscreen Matte Finish
- Lightly tinted
- Immediate line-smoothing finish
- Water Resistant (40 minutes)
- Infused with Certified Organic Ingredients
- For normal to oily skin
This is actually a sunscreen, but the beauty of this is that it can also be used as a primer. Using this before you put on your foundation or makeup is good because as a sunscreen, it will give you sun protection while also making sure that your skin is silky smooth.
It can give you a fresh-looking coverage and reduced shine. It is a daytime lotion with SPF and antioxidant-rich face moisturizer. It has a matte finish that is best for people with dry and combination type of skin.
Rosehip oil is one of its components in its formula. It is an ingredient that has antioxidants that will help in protecting your skin potential environmental aggressors. On top of being a water-resistant product, it also has SPF 30 and is mineral-based that will not only protect your skin but will also nourish it.
This product deserves to be on our list of best primers for acne prone skin without a doubt.
DHC Velvet Skin Coat
- Apply before foundation or wear alone for a flawless, natural look. Ingredients: cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, vinyl dimethicone/methicone silsesquioxane crosspolymer, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica
- Can also be used on hands and neck
- Used by professional makeup artists worldwide
This primer can also make the skin feel softer while covering large pores and masking your skin’s fine lines. It’s recommended to just put a tiny amount on your chin and forehead to avoid possible oiliness. Smooth it out evenly all over your face before adding your makeup. It is also widely used by makeup artists worldwide.
One of the beautiful things about this primer is the fact that you can use it alone without makeup or foundation and it will still do its job. It can give you soft and natural-looking skin will improve the texture of your skin.
While minimizing the oiliness of your face, this beauty cream will help in reducing the appearances of your skin imperfections such as fine lines, big pores and the likes. You will feel a silky smooth feeling on your skin while using this product as well as helping the makeup stay on longer.
Stila One Step Correct
- It is an innovative, three-in-one gel serum primer.
- This innovative, triple-swirled helix serum primes, color-corrects, brightens skin
- Free of parabens
Considered as one of best primers for acne prone skin, the Stila One Step Correct is special because it is a serum gel formula. It has three color-correcting colors which are green, lavender and peach that will contribute to improving your skin complexion. This product also has a number of benefits aside from color correcting such as smoothening the skin and brightening.
This serum has the ability to prime the skin instantly as well as brighten and nourishes the skin. And here are what each color-correcting pigments can do next.
The peach tone will minimize the visible sunspots in your skin, while the green tone can neutralize the redness and will conceal the blemishes. The lavender tone, on the other hand, targets the sallow undertones to give you a vibrant and energized overall look.
There are more good things that this serum can give you and your skin; It has an exclusive Youth Revival ingredient to help reduce the visibility of your pores and fine lines. It has a mineral complex, too, to help boost hydration and to control the oil in your skin.
Jane Iredale Smooth Affair Facial Primer and Brightener
- Brightens and refines the skin.
- leaves a luminous glow.
- gives a long-lasting foundation application.
This primer is a skin-nourishing and brightener in one. It provides excellent coverage and it goes super smooth on the skin. It can go a long way even for just a dot-sized amount of product to use. It is a lightweight formula so even if you put on foundation or makeup after it, it won’t feel heavy at all.
This primer will let your skin be prepared for the makeup or the foundation to apply easily and glide smoothly, also making it lasts longer. Its formula can make your skin look youthful by drawing out your skin’s radiance and minimizing the visible pores and fine lines.
So if you are looking for the best primers for acne prone skin, you might want to consider looking for a product that can increase the luminosity of your skin, like this primer.
e.l.f. Studio Mineral Infused Face Primer
- EVERYDAY BASE: Perfect your skin and lock in moisture with this mineral-infused primer. The velvety base preps your skin, letting your makeup glide on – while giving it all-day lasting ability.
- HOW TO WEAR: Apply a small amount and blend evenly over your face prior to application of foundation and/or concealer.
- 100% CRUELTY-FREE & VEGAN: Proud to be 100% vegan and cruelty-free, worldwide. Because kindness is chic.
- FREE FROM: All e.l.f. products are 100% free from phthalates, parabens, nonylphenol, ethoxylates, triclosan, triclocarban, and hydroquinone.
- BEAUTY FOR ALL: e.l.f. Cosmetics provides professional-quality products at get-real prices, because we believe beauty should be accessible to every eye, lip, and face.
Are you looking for a primer that’s very easy to blend and would adjust to your skin tone after every application? You just found it! This primer is also mattifying which means that it is great even for the acne-prone skin that produces excessive oil. This product can make you not just look, but also feel fresh throughout the day.
Its formula includes lavender which neutralizes redness in the skin that is usually accompanied by dry skin, rosacea, and blemishes. Another exquisite thing about this product is that it has the ability to balance the skin tone's unevenness and corrects the yellowness as well. This mineral-infused primer makes an ideal foundation.
This product can also provide desirable full coverage with just a small amount to be blend on your skin. Also, people should also know that this primer is vegan, cruelty-free, No phthalates, sulfates, or parabens either. Amazing, right?
Touch in Sol No Pore Blem Primer
- Big pores, uneven texture – no problem! Pore perfecting primer leaves skin flawless and glowing – ready for a no-makeup day, or a makeup artists’ best face forward.
- Lightweight formula that offers seamless coverage for pores, wrinkles + uneven complexion.
- Green tea extract protects + energizes skin, acting as a perfect primer for color true, long-lasting makeup wear.
- Infused with soluble collagen to help with skins moisture levels and elasticity.
- For best results, apply an even layer after moisturizer – as the very last step before makeup application.
This primer is perfect for people that have problems with big pores and uneven skin texture. This is also a primer that is promising in controlling acne. Its formula has soluble collagen which can help in maintaining your skin’s moisture by creating an invisible layer.
Big pores and uneven skin texture is the main target of this face makeup primer which means that when using this, it can provide seamless coverage in your skin. It has a lightweight formula that will give your skin the desirable glow and smooth and flawless look.
Another amazing ingredient in this primer is extracts of green tea that can protect and energize the skin while letting the makeup lasts longer. The soluble collagen in this product will moisturize your skin while bringing back its elasticity. For best results, make sure that you will put this on before your makeup and post-moisturizer.
Rimmel Stay Matte Primer
- Volume: 30 ml (1 fl oz)
- Skin Perfecting
- Ultra Lightweight formula
- Controls shine for up to 8 hours
- Never feels grEasy or heavy
Get rid of your skin’s shine for up to eight hours using this primer from Rimmel. Applying this primer, you can achieve a flawless matte finish look which will look good even if you don’t have any makeup on. This has an oil-free formula which is the best when it comes to fighting acne if you have sensitive skin.
This mattifying primer can make your pores invisible upon application. It has a lightweight formula that can give you a smooth and silky look. This is an ideal primer if you have acne-prone skin and it doesn’t feel greasy on the skin at all.
Another good thing about this primer is that you can use it with or without makeup! You can expect to have an even and moisturized look all day without worrying about the appearance of your pores.
NYX Shine Killer
- MATTE MAKEUP PRIMER: In the war on shine, NYX Professional Makeup has you covered. Shine Killer is an oil absorbing, anti-shine primer that creates a visible barrier between your skin and your makeup acting as a buffer from outside elements.
- SMOOTH FINISH: Apply Shine Killer Primer to clean skin before you apply foundation to ensure a smooth, matte, shine-free finish for hours!
- FACE FROM FOUNDATION TO FINISH: Complete your matte makeup look with our full line of NYX Professional Makeup face products to aid in color-correction & coverage from blush, bronzer, foundations & contouring concealer to palettes powders & setting sprays.
- CRUELTY-FREE COSMETICS: We believe animals belong in our arms—not in a lab. All of our makeup is PETA certified cruelty-free. We don't test any of our products on animals.
- DISCOVER NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP: Try all of our professional makeup & beauty products today, from eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara & false lashes to lipstick, foundation, primer, blush, bronzer, brushes & more!
Eliminating skin’s shine and excess oil is one of the things that this primer is great at especially if you have acne-prone skin. It will glide on your skin upon application. It can hide visible pores and can make your skin feel smooth. However, there can be an instance that you can see minimal shine while using this so it is best to be ready for that.
This product from NYX can also be used as a primer on your bare skin before you apply your foundation or any makeup or just use it as is. It will make your skin look and feel moisturized throughout the day of using it.
Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer
Say no to fine lines and pores because this product instantly covers them after applying, plus it leaves a matte finish on your skin. This lessens the chance of having your skin a breakout because it gets rid of the excess oil, making your skin breathe especially if you have sensitive and acne-prone skin.
This primer also works in all types of skin, may it be dry or sensitive but it works best on acne-prone and oily skin. Apply it on a clean face before putting on foundation and makeup for the best result. Also, the tube is very compact and perfect for quick touch-ups when you are out.
It is effective in eliminating the skin’s shine and hides visible pores. The reviews on Amazon solidify that it is a miracle worker as it is very effective in covering pores and makes their skin silky smooth upon using.
Smashbox Pore Minimizing Primer
- It improves manageability for smooth responsive styling
- Ideal for daily use
- It mutes warm undertones and adds more depth
First of all, this is a primer that is a non-comedogenic product which basically means that it will not clog your pores. It is a great solution if you have acne-prone skin. It has a light cream color but it will become translucent after you apply it on your skin and will never be an issue after you put your foundation.
It reduces oil, shine, imperfections in your skin as well as the visible pores without making your skin look and feels dry. Aside from having an oil-free formula, it is also waterproof which makes it effective even if your skin type is oily or a combination.
If you want to reap its benefits on your skin, it is advisable of daily usage. It has a matte finish and will make your skin have a soft complexion. It can mute warm undertones while adding more depth to your look. It can improve the manageability of your skin as well.
Maybelline Face Studio Master Prime Primer
- Blurs skin imperfections and smooths fine lines
- Primes skin for even makeup application without a greasy feel
- Weightless, water-based formula, non-oily
- Apply all over face before foundation or wear alone
This primer from Maybelline is with a water-based formula which means that this will not trigger any acne breakout. It is non-sticky and lightweight which means it’s comfortable to use even on a hot day out. It won’t make you feel greasy at all even if you are under the sun.
It has active ingredients to help in blurring wrinkles, pores and fine lines. It might be a lightweight formula, but the same formula will protect your skin from the damage that the sun can cause you. Its strength lies in its ability to control oil and color correct. You can wear it alone if you want to have a luminous appearance.
Another beautiful fact that you should know about this product is that it is recommended by many dermatologists because it is allergy tested. And that would be a proof that this primer won’t clog your pores so your acne-prone skin is surely safe.
Laura Geller Make-up Primer
- Remarkably lightweight formula
- Antioxidants help protect from environmental damage that can age skin
- Subtle pink pearls to instantly revive the look of your skin
The formula of this primer contains powerful antioxidants and plant extracts. This is an oil-control primer which is why it is great for acne-prone skin. It minimizes the size of your pores and controls the production of oil while giving you a mattifying finish upon application.
It has Centella Asiatica and white tea extracts than when paired with aloe vera can provide the skin with much-needed protection. It can also retain the natural moisture of the skin so it will look smoother and will feel softer to touch.
The lush and lightweight formula is perfect for any type of skin. It’s a primer that came from a quite popular brand that manufactures the most effective and skincare formulas, so you will be sure of its quality.
Thank Me Later Matte Face Primer
- WATERPROOF & LONG LASTING - Your flawless looks will last all day
- PORE-MINIMIZING - Helps to minimize the appearance of pores and fine lines
- MATTIFYING - Keeps your face shine-free without drying your skin
- PARABEN FREE & CRUELTY FREE - This formula is paraben free. Elizabeth Mott is a cruelty-free brand (Registered in PETA's Beauty Without Bunnies program)
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - If you are not happy with your order, just contact us and we will refund you, no questions asked!
This eco-friendly product is also paraben-free and cruelty-free. This mattifying face primer is waterproof, so you are sure that it can last throughout the whole day. And if by any chance you think this primer isn’t working for you, you can have a chance to return it to the manufacturer, which isn’t the case for some products.
It is also a long-lasting and waterproof primer that will make your skin look flawless throughout the days. It has a pore-minimizing property which is a huge success that’s why the chances of returning this product are really unlikely. Its ability to minimize the visible fine lines is good as well.
Aside from having all those good things mentioned above, another fact about this product is that it is cruelty-free, and you might be hooked on its mattifying effect which isn’t really bad after all.
Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer
- Smooths and perfects skin to create a picture perfect canvas for makeup
- High Definition Filter Technology reflects and diffuses light to create a flawless, airbrushed look
- Lightweight, pink tinted formula brightens skin and softens the appearance of imperfections
- Oil free, talc free, fragrance free and paraben free
- Works on all skin types to help your makeup stay in place all day long
You read the name right. This primer lives up to its name because you will always look like you are ready for a photo anytime while using it. Its High Definition Filter Technology reflects and diffuses light which gives the desirable effortless airbrushed effect without much effort.
It is a lightweight product and has a pink-tinted formula to make your imperfections to look softer. It also brightens the skin.
This beauty product is also paraben-free, fragrance-free and oil-free which means you can still use it even though you have sensitive and acne-prone skin. Having no parabens and fragrance makes this product a healthier and more natural choice to be a part of your skincare routine.
Almay Primer 5-in-1
- Works well for sensitive skin
- Lightweight, non-oily formula
- Targets and corrects common skin problems
Another product to be on the look-out for, Almay Primer 5-in-1 is lightweight and non-oily, which makes it effective even on acne-prone skin. Want to know why it’s called 5-in-1? It’s because it can do five amazing things for your skin. It can correct, perfect, hydrate, refine and mattify your skin. Isn’t it amazing?
From sensitive skin to combination skin, this beauty can be used in any type of skin. And because it is non-oily and lightweight, it can correct common skin issues. This is also dermatologist-tested and hypoallergenic which really makes it a one-of-a-kind product.
It has lavender in its formula that will even out your skin tone while reducing the visible redness on your skin. It has a long-lasting result and it’s not difficult to see the effectiveness since you can see it immediately while using. Surely a must try primer!
L.A. Girl Pro Prep HD High-Definition Smoothing Face Primer
- L.A. GIRL Pro Prep HD Smoothing Face Primer - 15ml
Put this primer on your list if you desire a softer looking and flawless skin without being worried about having an acne breakout. Many of its users said that they did not have any breakouts while using this product and it is because of its lightweight formula.
If you are curious as to how it will smooth out the appearance of your skin? It’s by filling in your fine lines and pores, making it a smoother base for your makeup and foundation. It consists of particles that diffuse light along with Vitamin E to give nourishment to your skin.
Aside from having a lightweight texture, it’s easy to apply and to blend in, so it’s hassle-free especially if you are on the go. It also has the unquestionable ability to make your makeup or foundation lasts for a longer time.
It’s paraben-free and fragrance-free, making it more suitable for acne-prone and sensitive skin.
Mineral Fusion Primer, Color Correcting
- Aloe and chamomile calm sensitive skin leaving more balanced, comforted skin; natural antioxidants and our wrinkle fighting, collagen-boosting peptide help minimize the appearance of fine lines
- Great for dry/sensitive skin types
- 100% vegan; gluten free; hypo-allergenic; paraben free; cruelty free; palate free; artificial color free
One of the most lovable thing about this primer is that it uses neutralizing mineral pigments that are very effective in color-correcting the skin and most imperfections. It has aloe and chamomile which helps in calming the skin which makes it potent against acne breakouts.
This mineral-infused primer is best for hyperpigmentation and skin redness, so if you have those problems, this is a good product to use. Its formula will even out your skin tone and will make your skin texture smoother.
It consists of natural antioxidants to perform a wrinkle-fighting action. It has peptides to boost collagen production as well as to minimize the stubborn and visible appearance of your fine lines.
This beauty product is also cruelty-free, paraben-free, hypoallergenic and vegan which will really work well if you have sensitive skin.
Cover FX Mattifying Primer with Anti-Acne Treatment
This is a gel-type primer that is lightweight and water-resistant. Its formula has the power of willow bark extract that is a natural source of salicylic acid. Salicylic acid can provide effective acne treatment while mattifying your skin.
If you are going to use this product, it will not only conceal imperfections but it will also prevent blemishes. It can reduce the visibility of the pores immediately after application. It can also help in extending the wear of the makeup which is an advantage while making your skin flawless in no time.
It’s not common for primers to have salicylic acid in their formula, so chances are; this primer is a gem if you happened to have the chance to have or try it.
Clinique Super Universal Face Primer
- Benefits: Smooths and corrects
- Works for all skin types.
This is a luxury primer that is specially formulated for oily, dry and combination skin. If you’ll look at the ingredients, you can see that there’s not silicone listed which is a go signal that it won’t cause any acne or breakout for you.
It has the ability to blur pores in an effective manner so you can use it with or without makeup or foundation. If you apply this under a moisturizer, the effect will surely last longer. It can also make your make up looking good and fine for hours.
The hypoallergenic formula won’t cause you any breakouts making this primer a beauty.
Better’n Ur Skin Mineral Makeup Primer
- MADE WITH ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: 90% Certified Organic | All Natural | Gluten Free | Vegan | Cruelty Free | Non-GMO | Palm Free | Paraben Free | Infused with Real Vanilla | 1 oz. | PREVIOUS COLOR BAMBOO
- NON TOXIC, BUILDABLE FORMULA: Whether you only need a little coverage or a lot, you control how much you get with this buildable formula. Dries to powder like finish. Never cakey and feels better than your own skin! Will actually improve the look of your skin with continued use.
- NATURAL SUN PROTECTION: This healthy formula offers natural sun protection and is slightly dewy in appearance, not matte - which helps to reflect light and makes fine lines and imperfections less visible. Great for all skin types!
- MADE IN THE USA: Proudly made in the USA, keeping our jobs here and using high quality ingredients we choose and know are safe, natural & effective!
- 100% GUARANTEED: Risk Free Trial - if color is wrong, simply return it for a refund! so what are you waiting for? Add to cart now!
All-natural, vegan and organic – You can be confident that this primer is all you need if you want a product without any types of harsh chemicals that might cause you a breakout. The formula is also packed with beneficial vitamins which makes it perfect for anti-aging skin treatment upon usage.
Packed with only pure ingredients, this mineral-infused makeup primer will feel good on your skin. Even if you have large pores or combination skin, you can expect this beauty product to work wonders into your skin.
It dries up quickly and is lightweight so it will not give blemishes time to rise. Have sensitive skin? No worries because you can use this primer. Another thing about this primer is that a little goes a long way so it is very practical.
Tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer
- New, with box. 100% Authentic
- Size: Full Size 30ml / 1fl.oz
- Tubo come with factory seal from manufacture.
Having makeup meltdowns is always a horrific thing to happen, but this primer can offer you the perfect solution by increasing the staying power of your makeup. It eliminates the need for reapplication or retouching while giving a silky smooth and invisible finish that will work well with different types of foundation.
It contains Matte-Blur technology that will filter out your imperfections such as fine lines, wrinkles, and blemishes. This is also water-proof, re-texturizing and mattifying giving your skin a matte and shine-free finish. This means that the foundation that you will apply can last longer.
The gel is silky and invisible, making it ideal for oily to combination type of skin. Because it can even out your skin texture and reduce the visibility of the pores, this will not highlight your acne, dry patches, and even the fine lines.
Laura Mercier Foundation Primer
- This subtly tinted primer brings a healthy bronze glow to skin as it creates a smooth surface for flawless makeup application
- Pearlescent pigments add a hint of radiant tint as they help minimize the look of pores, fine lines, and redness
- It illuminate skin and diffuse imperfections
Do you have an oily skin type? Fret not for this primer is specifically formulated for those that are dealing with oily skin on a daily basis. This is a gel that is water-based, soothing and very lightweight. It will give you a natural matte finish while giving you complete visible coverage.
Being an oil-free primer, this is highly recommended for people who have acne-prone skin. It can control the production of oil while making sure that your makeup or foundation can stay good all day while fighting off acne problems.
Do you want an even and smooth surface for your makeup? This product is also effective in minimizing the look and feel of your pores, fine lines, and some more skin problems.
This is non-comedogenic, making it a primer that will not clog your pores while using it, that’s why it is also highly recommended by most dermatologists across the globe. This is best for both oily and normal skin types.
Dermatologica Skin Perfect Primer
- Beauty and Personal Care Product;Dermalogica Skin Care;Packaging may vary
Now, this is a primer that also protects. It has SPF 30 that means it can help in protecting your skin against harmful rays from the sun. It can also stimulate the production of collagen to make your skin more firms which makes it a good anti-aging product.
The combination of velvety silicones and soy protein which is in the formula of this beauty can give you smooth results while managing fine lines and priming your skin for the makeup.
Another commendable thing about this product is the fact that it uses natural minerals. It enhances the luminosity and radiance of your skin while balancing your skin tone. It has potent peptides to ensure that your skin will improve its firmness while white tea polyphenols that will target potential collagen damage.
No need to say more because you can use this primer alone if you just need to moisturize your face or to fill your pores and fine lines. And for those who have sensitive skin, you should know that there are no artificial colorants or fragrance to this primer so this can also be one of your options.
Benefit Cosmetics POREfessional Pro Balm Face Primer
- Quickly minimize the appearance of pores and fine lines for smoother-than-smooth skin.
- Apply this silky, lightweight balm alone, under or over makeup.
- The translucent formula contains a vitamin E derivative known to protect skin.
- Compliments All Skin Tones.
A primer that comes with a derivative of Vitamin E, this product si instrumental with the overall health of the skin, not just with helping mask the flaws and imperfections. It is lightweight and silky and will even out your makeup.
The formula of this product is not oily and translucent which is very complementing to all types of skin and skin tones. It can give you a refined complexion even with just a thin layer which is already enough for moisturizing and cleaning your skin.
Having Vitamin E in the ingredients makes this balm a must-have.
Too Faced Hangover Rx Replenishing Face Primer
- Got a beauty hangover? Our replenishing face primer is your instant cure. It hydrates, smoothes and brightens skin for a dewy, healthy looking finish.
- When long days of work and late nights of play give you abeauty hangover, this is your instant cure. Hangover is a revolutionary makeupprimer infused with coconut water, probiotics and skin revivers that worktogether to boost skin’s radiance, promote elasticity and help hydrate whilelocking down makeup for fresher, longer and more flawless wear.
- We harnessed the science of hydration to create a creamy,penetrating primer that acts like an energy drink for the skin by replenishingmoisture levels. It can be worn alone for a dewy, healthy looking finish orunder bronzers, foundations and powders to create the perfect canvas.
- Hydrate and brighten skin. Promote skin’s elasticity and tone. Soothe and smooth the skin.
- FULL SIZE: 1.35 fl oz - 40ml. New - with box. 100% Authentic
A primer that will give energy to your skin while also retaining the moisture level to keep your skin from being dull; this is the primer you are looking for. You can use it with or without foundation but if you want to establish a shine-free and clean canvas, your favorite bronzer can also do the trick.
This formula contains coconut water to help revive the look and feel of your skin. Aside from it, it also has the ability to boost radiance, skin elasticity, and hydration. These elements can make your make up lasts longer by locking it down.
This can also provide an instant fix if you have skin problems. This is a replenishing primer that can brighten and hydrates the skin to achieve a dewy finish primed for makeup application. Even with just this primer, your skin can already look good.
Hourglass Cosmetics Veil Mineral Primer
- VEIL MINERAL PRIMER. Elevate your foundation with a silky, state-of-the-art primer that extends its wear for a perfect complexion that lasts.
- BENEFITS. This oil-free primer conceals redness (even rosacea) while minimizing the look of pores, fine lines and wrinkles to create a smooth, even canvas. Foundation glides on and stays on over the airy formula, which delivers SPF 15 sun protection and repels water so makeup always looks freshly applied.
- HOW TO USE. Apply ½ to 1 pump of Veil Mineral Primer to clean, moisturized skin prior to concealer, foundation and powder application. This formula works with any cream, liquid and powder foundation.
- FORMULATED WITHOUT. This product is vegan and was not tested on animals. It does not contain parabens, sulfates, phthalates, nanoparticles, oil, fragrance, gluten or synthetic dyes.
- REDEFINING CRUELTY FREE. Since its launch in 2004, Hourglass Cosmetics has been known as the cruelty free cosmetics brand. Now as they enter a new chapter, they’re redefining what cruelty free really means via research and specialized ingredients.
Fragrance-free, oil-free and paraben-free – This primer doesn’t have ingredients that can damage your skin especially if your skin is acne-prone or sensitive. It has UV damage protecting properties so your skin will not look very shiny.
Smoothing out the visible appearances of enlarged pores and fine lines is this primer’s best job. Extending the life of your makeup while using it is also a plus while minimizing shine and protecting your skin from the sun.
This has a lightweight formula and is silky to the touch.
What is a Makeup Primer?
Primers can come in many forms; it can be liquids or in the form of a gel. It is silicone-based and would sit over to your face to be able to create an even and smooth surface.
You can also find primers in different beauty products, although most of them will be labeled as moisturizers and serums. Typically, primers are non-oily and non-comedogenic, which makes it safe by not clogging your pores. This ability of primers will not trigger acne breakouts.
Although it is not always the case, this will lead to the next important guide that you should read in this section.
How to Choose a Makeup Primer for Acne-Prone Skin?
It will be a false statement if we say that face primer won’t cause breakout because there will always and still a few that might and can trigger acne.
But, the reason for this may not be because of your oil-free and non-comedogenic makeup primer. It may be because of another emollient or thickener that you use along with other makeup products that are packed with even more emollients. Adding a primer is yet another layer that you are adding to your skin.
The main reason here is because of silicones. Silicones are usually part of most skin, cosmetics, and other beauty products, and it can also contain latex as well. If you know that you have an allergic reaction to the substance, then your chances of having a bad reaction to silicone-based makeup primers are higher. Bad reactions like redness and acne breakouts.
Because of this, it is really important to figure out first if your skin really needs a primer. Not everyone’s skincare routine is efficient, and when it happens, applying your makeup can suffer because of it. Wrong powder, foundation, and concealer can also make matters worse if it happens to be the wrong combination for a certain skin type.
Good thing that there are many multi-tasking primers in the market. With that, you’ll have to overlook the silicones. Primers with SPF, salicylic acid and anti-aging technology with brightening agents are treasures in controlling and preventing acne.
Primers can also come in the form of serums that will contain antioxidants, AHAs, peptides, and hyaluronic acid which has color correcting properties so you can use less foundation, helping you not to overload your face with beauty products.
Non-irritation and lightweight formula primers are ideal choices for people that deal with acne breakouts most of the time. It won’t clog your pores and helps in avoiding the formation of acne. But to avoid more breakouts or acne, you should also tweak your daily routine in a way by skipping a few products every now and then to let your skin breathe.
Too much blending and rubbing while applying makeup can also be a factor, so you should be mindful of this, too. Excessive friction on the skin while doing so can trigger irritation for acne-prone skin.
How to Use/Remove Makeup Primer to Prevent Acne?
Now that you know that primers have silicones and it is known to cause issues in your skin if you won’t be mindful of cleansing your face at least two times day, you should also know that silicones are semi-occlusive. It means that they form that weightless film over your skin. It’s like a web, but a breathable version that doesn’t suffocate the skin like petroleum or wax.
Creating a barrier to shield skin from the harmful aggressor and harsh environment toxins, silicones can prevent the formation of breakouts, too, if it is non-comedogenic. Just please apply primers on a clean surface, or they are bound to push bacteria deeper into your skin and pores.
Every time you plan to skip cleansing your face, which would be a huge mistake as it will be the start of having the possibility of skin irritation and acne formation. Removing primer properly using a facial specifically for the weightless silicones is advised. Toners and sulfates don’t really eliminate silicones, just be reminded of that as well.
Another thing to be mindful of is that sweating while primer on tend to increase the chance in triggering acne breakouts. Yes, it’s not an easy game in taking care of an acne-prone skin so a patch test is recommended as a safe bet.
Benefits of Using Makeup Primer for Acne-Prone Skin
If you are not using a primer right now, you may be missing out on a skincare product that will make your acne-prone skin look and feel better.
You may prefer simple makeup routine, or you’d go for a foundation will full coverage, a primer works either way. It creates a smooth base so you can apply your foundation and makeup smoothly and evenly. It can also combat oily and shiny skin that is one of the usual triggers of acne.
It can be cream, gel or powder; any type of primer you might want to use will prepare your face for makeup. Aside from an even and smooth canvas for your makeup, it also helps in making sure that your makeup will last to prevent touch-ups.
Yes, primers are silicone-equipped polymers, but the benefits in using it are a lot. Enlarged pores, wrinkles, and fine lines are mostly the target of using primers. They also have the strength to correct and conceal acne.
Primers are also invaluable if it is suitable in every type of weather. A primer that can be used in humid, cold or hot weather is perfect as it can keep your makeup in place. Many people especially women apply it alone if they fee that there’s no need in applying a layer of foundation anymore. Primers can give a fresh and polished look.
Ingredients to Avoid in Makeup Primers for Acne-Prone Skin
For further knowledge about primers, there are so far 2 ingredients you might want to avoid in using or buying a primer. Number one is latex, which can increase the likelihood of creating allergies in the skin. It’s not always the silicone’s fault for negative reaction as sometimes, it happens when silicone is contaminated with latex.
Another ingredient you might want to avoid is bismuth or oxychloride. The good thing here is that not all primers have this in their formula, but if ever you see this in the ingredient list, avoid it at all cost because it gives rise to breakouts. It can irritate the skin and will probably cause cystic acne.
All in all, the products that we mentioned above can help you if you want to enjoy a quality primer without worrying of acne formation and breakouts. Primers improves the staying power of your makeup, among its benefits, without causing acne breakouts.