Breastfeeding can be both a wonderful yet draining experience for a mother. If you are one of the lucky ones you may find yourself with only a few issues during the time you are breastfeeding your baby. For many others though the experience can bring about a wide range of nipple issues and skin concerns. These issues can range from your nipples being dry and sore to having your nipples crack or bleed. Let’s take a look at the best nipple cream for breastfeeding.
When it comes to breastfeeding the last thing you should have to worry about are issues pertaining to nipple dryness or irritation. Fear of pain should not be occupying your mind while you are trying to bond with your baby. This type of bonding will only last until you choose to stop breastfeeding. Since these moments will go by fast picking the best nipple cream for breastfeeding will help you to enjoy these bonding moments with your baby more than if you’re focus is being taken away by nipple issues.
Best Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding: Our Top 7 Choices
When we have a little one around reading through all the products that are out there is hard to do. When we need a product, and we need it now, it is helpful to just have a list of the top choices that are in the market at that moment, so here is our list of the top 7 best nipple creams for breastfeeding.
#1 Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter
- Earth Mama’s Organic Nipple Butter is now 100% USDA Certified Organic, made with ethically sourced organic beeswax that’s been gathered in a bee-centric manner
- With organic herbs traditionally used to soothe and moisturize nipples and dry skin
- NO petroleum, parabens, or lanolin - no need to wash it off before nursing
To start off our list of best nipple cream for breastfeeding is this product that grabs attention by being the first Non-GMO Project Verified Nipple Cream on the market. It has not only been verified as non-GMO, but it is also 100% organic. Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter is 100% USDA Certified Organic. This product is made with no parabens, petroleum or lanolin. Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter is made with organic beeswax. The beeswax they use in this product is ethically sourced and is gathered in a bee-centric manner. Also, the company uses organic herbs to make this product. The herbs they have included in their nipple butter are traditionally used for dry skin and moisturizing. Since these traditional herbs are good at moisturizing dry skin it makes this product great for your dry nipples as well. Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter has been tested by dermatologists as well as clinically tested for irritation. It is even used in some hospitals NICU’s.
Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter is non sticky. You can apply the product after each feeding, and since the products ingredients are safe for you and your baby you do not need to remove the nipple butter before breastfeeding. It can also be used when pumping your breastmilk so that the process is a little bit easier on you and your nipples. Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter is moisturizing and can be used not only for moisturizing your nipples but for other parts of the body as well. It can be used on your lips, elbows, and heels if needed. Since this product is good for moisturizing your nipples, and has additional uses as well, it a great product to have around the house and keep in your diaper bag.
#2 Lansinoh Lanolin Nipple Cream
- #1 RECOMMENDED BRAND: Lansinoh Lanolin is the #1 recommended nipple cream by moms and doctors in the US. Clinically tested. Lansinoh Lanolin soothes and protects sore nipples for breastfeeding moms.
- SAFE FOR MOM & BABY: No need to remove before breastfeeding. Specially designed for nursing, 100% natural and hypoallergenic. Free from preservatives, parabens, fragrance or taste.
- RELIEF FOR SORE NIPPLES: Thick, rich cream soothes and protects sore nipples. Clinically proven and ultra-pure. Our single ingredient lanolin has a unique purification process to remove impurities with no added additives.
This nipple cream is made up of only one single ingredient. It is made with 100% lanolin. The lanolin used in this product goes through a purification process that removes impurities without having to add anything extra like additives to the product. It is also hypoallergenic. There are no preservatives or parabens, it is 100% natural. Lansinoh Lanolin Nipple Cream is also not tested on animals and is cruelty free.
In a study done by IQVIA it was found that US Physicians had a 99% confidence level in this product. Due to how the product is made there is no need to remove off your nipple prior to breastfeeding as it is safe for both you and your baby. There is no fragrance added and no taste as well. Since there can be so many distractions that may pull your baby’s attention away from breastfeeding, having no taste and smell is a great way to keep the distractions to a minimum while being able to help yourself out as well. This product soothes and protects your sore nipples and can also be used as a nipple protectant to while showering. This product is useful for more things than just relieving your nipples from breastfeeding. It can be used on your elbows, and heels as well. Beyond that it can even be added to your makeup routine for chapped lips or as an eyebrow definer.
#3 Motherlove Nipple Cream
- LANOLIN-FREE & PLANT-BASED: Motherlove's organic Nipple Cream for breastfeeding is unscented, free of lanolin, and does not need to be removed prior to nursing. This rich herbal salve helps to soothe the discomfort of sore or cracked nipples.
- NOT JUST FOR NIPS!: Nipple Cream is great to use as a pump lubricant -- simply apply a thin layer to the inner part of your flange before a pumping session. Can also be used for chapped lips, dry skin, and more.
- AWARD-WINNING: This natural nipple balm is trusted and loved worldwide by generations of families and lactation consultants. Nipple Cream is the proud winner of The Bump award for Best of Baby, in both 2018 and 2020, and was a finalist in the What to Expect awards.
This nipple cream is 100% organic and has been USDA Certified Organic. It is also certified cruelty free by Leaping Bunny. Motherlove Nipple Cream was the winner of the Bump Award for Best of Baby, and a finalist in What to Expect Awards. This product is a plant-based product and is not made with lanolin.
Motherlove Nipple Cream soothes and comforts sore and even chapped nipples. It can be applied throughout your day as needed. This is helpful since when it comes time to breastfeed your baby you do not have to worry about removing the product beforehand and can apply the product when you feel it would be beneficial to you. The product is also scent free which can help reduce the distractions that can occur as you are trying to breastfeed your baby. A bonus to this product is that it can be used as a pump lubricant as well and even on your chapped lips and dry skin.
#4 Medela Tender Care Lanolin Nipple Cream
- DESIGNED FOR MOMS: The Medela Lanolin Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding was designed for moms who experience discomfort during latching. It glides on smoothly and gently for easy and convenient use.
- SOOTHING PROTECTION FOR TENDER NIPPLES: This nipple cream for breastfeeding offers soothing protection to tender nipples.
- HYPOALLERGENIC ALL-NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Medela’s Lanolin Nipple Cream is hypoallergenic and made from all-natural ingredients.
This nipple cream is made with all-natural ingredients. Medela Tender Care Lanolin Nipple Cream is hypoallergenic making it safe for both you and your baby. It can be used on sensitive skin as well as irritated nipples from breastfeeding your little one.
This nipple cream was made with the discomfort of your baby latching in mind. Medela Tender Care Lanolin Nipple Cream can sooth and protect your tender nipples. This product can also reduce the risk of your nipples chaffing from nursing your baby. Since this nipple cream is made of all-natural ingredients you do not have to make sure to wipe the product off your nipple before breastfeeding. This is a convenience since you don’t have to be wiping off already irritated nipples before feeding your baby.
#5 Eraorganics Mommy Balm
- Get Soothing, Moisturizing Relief or Your Money Back thanks to our manufacturer guarantee. Certified Organic nursing cream for painful, cracked, irritated skin.
- Perfect For Chapped, Irritated Skin. Nipple cream will boost healing while protecting from chaffing and excess moisture. Powerful anti inflammatory ingredients also help reduce pain and irritation.
- Safe For Nursing Moms and Babies. Completely natural nipple balm means no hidden toxins or chemicals, lanolin, paraben, alcohol, and no mineral oil, petroleum, or perfumes.
This Mommy Balm is 100% natural. The ingredients that are used to create this balm have even been USDA Certified Organic. The product is hypoallergenic, free of lanolin, paraben, alcohol, petroleum, mineral oil, and even perfume. Eraorganics Mommy Balm has a manufacturer guarantee that if you do not get relief from their product after you have used it you can get your money back.
Eraorganics Mommy Balm can be used for a multitude of skin issues. It has powerful anti-inflammatory ingredients which help in reducing the irritation and pain that can occur with nursing your baby. It can create a barrier that will protect you from nipple chaffing while boosting your nipples healing ability below that protected barrier. Eraorganics Mommy Balm can be used on your nipples, lips, and even on other areas of the skin. If you have dry, cracked, or chaffed skin this product can be used to help heal and protect it. It even states that it can be used on minor wounds. Since the product covers so many issues that are related to nursing and skin issues in general it is a wonderful product to keep around and have in a diaper bag or even purse.
#6 Mommyz Love Organic Nipple Balm
- SOOTHES, HEALS, PROTECTS & MOISTURIZES your nipples for a pleasant breastfeeding experience and even when you are pregnant and your nipples start itching 😉 It can be used also for diaper rash, on baby’s dry spots, your lips and anywhere on your skin!
- ODORLESS & EASILY ABSORBED! Say goodbye to strong odors, unlike the chemical ones our nipple balm has no odor so your baby won’t notice a difference when you wear it. It’s also specially formulated to quickly absorb into your skin without the need to apply a lot of pressure.
- IMPROVE PUMPING EXPERIENCE! When applied around your nipples it will help to relieve the friction discomfort from the strong pulling the pump vacuum causes
This nipple balm is USDA Certified Organic. It is free of ingredients such as lanolin, petroleum, dyes, gluten and GMO’s. It is also odorless and free of synthetic fragrances. The product has been tested by pediatricians to confirm that it is safe and is made with quality ingredients. If you are not 100% satisfied with this product, they state they will give you a refund for your purchase.
Mommyz Love Organic Nipple Balm can be used prior to your baby being born for nipples that may itch while pregnant. Once your baby is breastfeeding this nipple balm can relieve sore, dry and cracked nipples, by healing protecting and moisturizing them. This product is quickly absorbed into the skin, so you do not have to push hard on your tender nipples to apply the product. When pumping breastmilk, the nipple balm can be used to reduce the amount of friction that your nipples experience during the pumping process. This product can be used anywhere on your skin, and if your baby happens to have a diaper rash this balm can be used on your baby’s bottom as well.
#7 Bella B Nipple Nurture Butter
- NIPPLE GUARD: Use before and after breastfeeding to help prevent and soothe sore or cracked nipples.
- LANOLIN-FREE BREASTFEEDING CREAM: The perfect lanolin-free alternative for breastfeeding mammas.
- ORGANIC NIPPLE BUTTER: Contains natural ingredients including cocoa, shea and mango butter.
This product is made up of natural ingredients that are plant based. It is free of ingredients such as lanolin, paraben, and petroleum. Bella B Nipple Nurture Butter is also hypoallergenic.
The ingredients used to make this product are safe for both mother and baby. The nipple butter does not need to be cleaned off your nipple before breastfeeding. Bella B Nipple Nurture Butter can be used to prevent nipple issues related to nursing like sore, or cracked nipples. If those issues already exist for you it can soothe your cracked and sore nipples as well. Bella B Nipple Nurture Butter can be used both before and after breastfeeding. This makes it a convenient nipple butter to have around you while breastfeeding or to have in your diaper bag ready and waiting for you if you need it.
Choosing the Best Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding
When choosing for the best nipple cream for breastfeeding you are looking for a product to prevent or soothe nursing related nipple issues you want something that is going to be convenient. The product must also be safe for both you and your baby, and yet strong enough to relieve the nipple issues you are experiencing. There are products that can be used before and after breastfeeding. Products that are convenient and can be used for other skin issues that you or a family member may be having. The product that is going to be right for you must take into consideration your personal routine, routine with your baby, and the nipple issues you are having at this time.
Other things you might want to consider when looking for the best nipple cream for breastfeeding would be if you or your baby have any allergies to an ingredient that is in a product. Will the product your choosing be too greasy for you or end up staining your clothes? What does the product smell like as it may distract your baby from breastfeeding or just end up making you smell a bit different than your usual self. What environment do you live in? Is it hot, cold or can it be both? Depending on that environment in which you live you may want to check the products ingredients for whether they will be thick and uncomfortable or easily absorbed into your skin. Some products may even seem to melt off in the heat and could become ineffective since it is not staying on your nipple. Another thing to consider when buying the best nipple cream for breastfeeding is if the product you will be using is smooth or gritty when rubbed on your already sore nipples. Remember you want relief and you want it fast, but you also don’t want other issues to pop up and become a new concern or annoyance for you.
Picking the best nipple cream for breastfeeding that can calm your concerns and relieve your nipple issues will make a difference in your overall experience with breastfeeding. Since the concerns you are having with your nipples are probably not just experienced while breastfeeding but also before and after you will want a product that fits into your daily schedule and routine. We hope that the list above gives you some insight into the different products that are out in the market today and that in the end you truly find the best nipple cream for breastfeeding that leaves you happy and able to enjoy these precious moments with your baby.