Choosing hair products can be a challenge. The market for men’s hair products has exploded over the last few years, which is awesome because it means there are products for every hair type and style, but there are drawbacks too. The trouble is that everyone has different advice as to which brand is best, how to choose the one for you, and how best to use it once you have chosen. With all this excess information, how do you make heads or tails of what products to purchase? Unfortunately, there isn’t a single answer, but we’re here to give you some straightforward information and a few suggestions that might help to relieve some of the stress. In this article, we are going to talk about one of the most versatile hair products on the market: hair cream. We’ll explain how useful it is as well as provide you with a list of what we think are some of the best hair cream for men.
Why Should Men Use Hair Cream?
Let’s start with a little information. Being informed is always important when you are about to purchase a new product, right? The obvious first question would be: why should you even use hair cream? There are three reasons, actually.
1. First of all, depending on the type you choose, it can protect your hair. Everything from sun exposure to pollution can damage your hair, so why not use a product that can protect it? Many hair creams contain natural oils that can nourish and moisturize, keeping your hair soft and healthy.
2. The second reason is a result of the first reason; healthy hair is good looking hair. The whole reason for using hair products is to help you achieve the style you want. Everyone wants to look good and what better way to complete your look than to have healthy, smooth hair that doesn’t have flyaways or frizz. Hair cream can help you achieve that look, especially if you have curly or wavy hair. If you have curly hair, you know that frizz is a struggle, but gels can weigh down your curls and make your hair look greasy or flat. Creams are lighter so they will smooth the frizz without adding weight.
3. Reason number three is probably the best reason: ease of use. Creams truly are the most versatile of hair products because unlike gels and sprays, most creams are good for all hair types. Of course, there are some exceptions, such as brands that are made particularly for thick or textured hair. But overall, creams are pretty universal. As we will explain later on, knowing your hair type is still important when it comes to choosing the best hair cream for men, but the options are a lot more flexible.
Our Picks for the Best Hair Cream for Men
So now that we know the benefits of using hair cream, let’s take a look at our picks for the best hair cream for men. Many of these brands may already be familiar to you, but check out these products in particular and see if one doesn’t sound right for you.
#1 American Crew Forming Cream
- WHAT IT IS: Easy-to-use hair cream for men. Provides a pliable hold while helping hair look thicker.
- WHO IT'S FOR: Works well for any hair type and for those who want thicker or fuller looking hair.
- KEY BENEFIT: Provides medium hold and medium shine
This cream is the perfect example of what a best hair cream for men should be. American Crew Forming Cream is lightweight and good for all hair types. It helps to soften and smooth hair but still leaves it pliable with a medium hold. You can use this on short or long hair and achieve a naturally shiny look. This cream contains glycerin which works to soften and plump the hair, so it is particularly good for those with thinner hair. It can still be used on thick hair, especially if you just need little extra style pick-me-up.
- Good For All Hair Types
- Medium Hold
- Adds Thickness
#2 Smooth Viking Hydrating Fiber Cream
- Smooth Viking’s Fiber is a medium-hold styling product with a matte finish.
- For a perfectly tousled classic look that looks natural.
- Smooth Viking’s Fiber is designed to thicken and texturize hair.
If you have shorter hair and want a natural tousled look, then this is the cream for you. Smooth Viking Hydrating Fiber Cream offers medium hold without making your hair shiny or sticky. This cream is designed specifically to thicken and add texture to your hair, so it’s great for thinner hair. Another benefit of this cream is that it is water-soluble, meaning you can wash it out with just water and it won’t leave behind a sticky residue. It can also be used on wet or dry hair, which is nice for those who just want to touch up their style without having to wet their hair.
- Natural Matte Finish
- Adds Thickness and Texture
- Water Soluble
#3 Layrite Natural Matte Cream
Layrite is an American company that offers a wide line of men’s hair products, including this awesome lightweight cream. This cream is designed for thin to medium hair and helps to give your hair a natural soft look. It offers a medium hold that will keep your style in place without the stickiness of a wax. Using minimal ingredients, Layrite offers a cream that leaves your hair looking natural and healthy. This formula is also really simple to use because it distributes evenly without effort and it is water-soluble. You will not have to work to apply it and you won’t have to scrub to get it out, so it is a win-win. It also works well with curly hair to help minimize frizz and flyaways.
- American Made
- Medium Hold
- No Sticky Residue
- Easy Distribution
#4 Cremo Premium Matte Styling Cream
- Barber Grade Hair Styling Matte Cream for a barely-there look you can run your fingers through.
- Works great on all types of hair.
- Low hold and low shine.
Cremo is a pretty well-known brand in the world of men’s hair products. The reason they are so popular is probably because they are committed to creating easy to use products that offer clear labeling so you know what you’re getting. That’s one of the reasons this is one of our picks for the best hair cream for men. The other reason is that it is just a great cream. Easy to use, pleasant scent, and good for all hair types. This is the perfect cream for anyone who wants to use a cream without feeling like they have product in their hair. It offers a light hold and low shine, so you can tame your flyaways without weighing down your style. This product can be used on wet or dry hair, depending on the look you want. Whichever way you use it, you will be left with soft, touchable, natural-looking hair.
- Light Natural Hold
- Easy Distribution
- Good For Wet or Dry Application
#5 Old Spice Medium Styling Cream
- You will receive (2) 2.64 oz Styling Creams.
- This hair cream provides medium hold and a matte finish
- Gives every hair type or cut a casual, easygoing look
What can you say about Old Spice that hasn’t already been said? They have been a dependable company for years, so you know you can rely on them to produce hair products that you will love. And you know they will smell good too. This cream is no exception, offering medium hold and matte finish, it will hold your hair in place without adding unneeded shininess. This cream is designed to be used on all hair types to create easy, casual styles that look good all day. It will not cause flakiness or stickiness, so you will not have to worry about letting your loved one get up close and personal. Your hair will look good from any distance.
- Medium Hold
- Good For All Hair Types
- Matte Finish
- Pleasant Scent
#6 KICK Active Styling Cream
- POWERFUL CONTROL – LOW MAINTENANCE STYLE, HIGH MAINTENANCE LOOK: No stiffness. Non-greasy. Flake free. Paraben free hair gel for men. Just touchable, all day hold with a semi matte finish and light sheen that lends to a powerful, masculine, textured appearance – perfectly holds through long days at the office, wild SPORTS COMPETITIONS and nights on the town.
- TONES DOWN GREYS - THICKENS THINNING HAIR: Grey, thinning hair making you feel less than youthful? The more you use Kick Active hair paste for men, the more Natural Biotin and Rosemary hair clay for men thickens each strand, slowing hair fall and toning down greys – for a younger, energized look.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – Coat and define long hair or create that clean impeccable style on short hair -no matter what we guarantee, Kick Actives forming cream satisfies your ideal look, or expect a full & prompt refund, with no hassle, no hoops and no questions asked.
Remember how we mentioned that hair cream can protect your hair from everyday damage? Well, KICK takes their hair cream one step further in that not only is it designed to protect your hair, it will also help to make your hair healthier overall. With natural ingredients like biotin, rosemary, and coconut oil, KICK’s Active Styling Cream will add thickness and help to tone down grays, giving your hair a more youthful look. It offers a medium hold without stiffness or flakiness. This cream is designed to hold your style throughout the day, no matter how active you are, and still leave your hair looking natural and touchable. Sound like some big promises for a hair cream? Not to worry, they offer a full money-back guarantee, although we do not think you will want to return it once you have tried it.
- Promotes Healthy Hair
- Holds All Day Without Stickiness
- No Flaky Residue
- Money-Back Guarantee
#7 Got2b Phenomenal Thickening Hair Cream
- BARBER SHOP INSPIRED: Prepare to wow the masses with got2b PHENOMENAL thickening Styling Cream
- THICKER & FULLER HAIR: The barber shop inspired formula is scientifically proven to enhance your hair's thickness
- ENHANCE YOUR LOOK: Thicker and fuller hair, natural sheen and hold
If you are on the hunt for a product that will add definition and control to your style, all the while giving your hair a thicker fuller look, then check out Got2b’s Phenomenal Thickening Hair Cream. This cream gives you good hold with a slight sheen. It is slightly sticky for styling but dries into a natural look that will last all day. Obviously, this cream is meant for thinner hair but can be used on medium h
air as well. It is water-soluble and washes out easily, so it is great for everyday use. Got2b’s Phenomenal line is full of great barbershop inspired products for men, so it may be worth checking a few of their other products when you go to purchase this one.
- Makes Hair Look Thicker and Fuller
- Good Hold For Styling
- Good For Thin to Medium Hair
- Water Soluble
How to Choose The Right Hair Cream For You?
Okay, now that we have shown you these great products, here’s a little more information to help you decide which one is the best for you. There are a few elements to consider such as hair type, ease of use, and desired outcome.
As we mentioned before, most creams are good for all hair types, so you do not have to worry too much about this. The reason that you should still keep hair type in mind is that it can affect how well a product works. For example, if you have thick wavy hair, a lightweight cream will still work for you, but it may not give you the amount of definition you would like to see. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if your hair is very thin, you could still use a thicker cream. It would smooth flyaways and protect your hair, but it may also weigh it down and make your hair seem flat. So when you’re glancing over product labels just look for words like ‘lightweight’ or ‘strong hold’ and plan accordingly.
Ease of Use
Consider your morning hair routine. Do you get up early each day to make sure that you have enough time to perfect your style or are you a little more spontaneous in your hair habits? You’re routine is important when choosing any hair products because the way you use them will impact how effective they are. You will want to check for details like whether the cream works well on dry hair or if it is designed to hold your style in place all day. If you have a specific style you are trying for and you want that style to hold, consider getting a cream with medium hold for styling, then follow up with a hair spray for a little extra hold. If you want something a little less involved, choose a cream that works well in dry hair, that way you can fly out of bed, touch up your look, and be out the door knowing that you still look good.
This is probably the most important element considering the whole purpose of looking up the best hair cream for men is to find the cream that will give you the result you want. So think about your expectations, such as wanting clearly defined curls, tousled locks, or perhaps the slicked-back coolness of James Dean. Whatever the look you want, simply match what you want to the cream. Need a little pick-me-up for damaged or dull hair? Choose a nourishing cream like KICK that will help you to achieve the look you want and add to the health of your hair. Want to rock a natural touchable style? Then pick up some Old Spice Medium Styling Cream which will maintain your casual natural look without weighing you down. You know what style looks good on you and the cream you choose should help you to achieve that.
Looking good does not have to be complicated. Choosing the right hair cream can help you achieve the style you want without the inconvenience of the flakiness and stickiness that comes with using hair gel. Plus, unlike the alcohol found in a lot of gels, hair cream can actually nourish your hair, making it healthier overall. There are many great options out there, these are just our picks for the best hair creams for men. If none of them sound quite right for you, not to worry, each of these brands offers options for other hair types and holds. All you need to know to choose the right cream is your hair type, your routine, and your style, which are things we’re sure you know very well. Combine that with the knowledge we have provided and you are now armed with all the information you need to know to choose the best hair cream for you.