Do you have oily skin and blackheads but find that many face washes make your skin dry or irritated? If so, you are not alone. Finding the correct products for your skin through trial and error can be counterproductive and lead to additional and unnecessary skin conditions, not to mention more blackheads. Let’s discuss the best face wash for blackheads.
What causes blackheads?
Blackheads occur when the oil from your sebaceous glands mixes with sweat from your sudoriferous glands and dirt that comes from your makeup and environmental elements. These substances then combine with dead skin and cling to the inside of your pores. Your open pores are then exposed to the outside air and oxidize which is why the oil inside your pore turns black.
Choosing the best skin care products
Skincare is not just beauty, it is part of your health and wellness. The industry is more saturated than ever and trying to figure out which is the best face wash for blackheads can give you a headache and be overwhelming.
With learning about the many different types of ingredients from sulfur, salicylic acid to amazonian clay, the choices can seem endless. There is also the question of whether these ingredients and products actually work or are they just marketing tactics.
Who has time for this? We do! You can rest easy because we have done the legwork for you. We have researched, tested, and curated the best face wash for blackheads products so you can focus on other things such as your career and spending time with your family. So sit back, relax and read on to learn the top 7 best face washes for blackheads.
Best Face Wash For Blackheads: Our Top 7 Choices
While reading our list of best face wash for blackheads below, keep in mind that finding the best face wash is also about which type fits your lifestyle. Otherwise, you may not even use it. Read on to discover your new favorite cleanser.
#1 St. Ives Blackhead Clearing Face Scrub, Green Tea, 6 oz
- Our face scrub helps unclogs pores and contains 1% salicylic acid which helps to clear blackheads and calm redness
- Made with 100% natural exfoliants
- Our green tea leaves are carefully picked from China
St. Ives has long been known for their apricot face scrub and more recently, this Blackhead Clearing Face Scrub. You have probably seen it in many stores and is most likely a product you already recognize.
This cleanser’s blackhead-fighting ingredients are 1% salicylic acid and walnut shell powder. Salicylic acid, naturally derived from the willow tree, is an oil-loving ingredient, a chemical exfoliant and an anti-inflammatory. Walnut shell powder has a gritty texture and is a physical exfoliant.
Salicylic acid works by attracting oil. Therefore, it seeps into your pore and bonds to the blend of oil, dirt and sweat that is living inside your pores. The salicylic acid then loosens up these elements so they are more easily released from your pores. Additionally, the acid helps remove dead skin that is clinging to your blackheads. Walnut shell powder is a granular substance that mechanically swipes away dead skin cell from the surface of your skin.
This combination of chemical and physical exfoliants treats blackheads from two angles which helps reduce blackheads as well as prevent future blackheads.
St. Ives Blackhead Clearing Face Scrub is a smart choice for people on the go who do not have time for multiple steps and want three functions in one product.
#2 Bioré Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser for Oily Skin (6.77 oz) Daily Face Wash, Naturally Purifies Pores, Dermatologist Tested
- Deep cleans and naturally purifies
- Innovative black daily cleanser foams white to purify pores, then rinses clean, leaving skin clean and tingly smooth
- With natural charcoal, known for its ability to draw out and trap impurities, and skin purifying technology, cleanser deep cleans 2 times better than a basic cleanser
Biore’s Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser is the perfect cleanser for treating blackheads without medicating your skin. This non-chemical, non-abrasive formula cleanses your skin of impurities while leaving your skin hydrated, balanced and without feeling tight.
This cleanser’s star ingredient is charcoal. Charcoal, naturally derived from the earth, is known for its detoxifying properties. When applied before adding water, the charcoal binds to dirt, oil and bacteria. When water is added, the charcoal is activated and turns a foamy white. This is to be expected and means that the cleanser is working properly.
Additionally, this cleanser contains glycerin which helps the cleanser glide over the skin without stripping your skin which results in a more hydrated and conditioned feeling. This is important because even oily skin can be dehydrated. Remember, no matter which type of cleanser you use, your skin should never feel tight or pulled after cleansing
This is a smart choice for those who have overprocessed and dehydrated skin from using harsh products. This is also a perfect choice for those who want a more natural formula and a cleanser without the physical scrub aspect.
#3 Aria Starr Dead Sea Mud Mask For Face, Acne, Oily Skin & Blackheads – Best Facial Pore Minimizer, Reducer & Pores Cleanser Treatment – Natural For Younger Looking Skin
- PROFESSIONAL SPA FORMULA: Highest Quality Dead Sea Mud For Face, Acne, Body, Oily Skin & Blackheads - Best Facial Pore Minimizer, Reducer & Pores Cleanser Treatment - Natural For Younger Looking Skin with Shea Butter + Aloe Vera + Jojoba Oil for women, and men.
- EXFOLIATE, DEEP CLEANSE & DETOXIFY: Aria Starr Beauty's Dead Sea Mud Mask extracts toxins and impurities located deep in the skin layers, absorbs excess oils, and removes dead skin cells, dirt and toxins to reveal fresh, soft, clear looking skin with clean pores, even skin tone, and refined skin texture.
- HELPS FIGHT BLACKHEADS & ACNE: Discover the world renowned sacred mud that spa's across the nation are raving about. Contains natural minerals like magnesium, calcium, sulphur, bromide, iodine, sodium, zinc and potassium, which are known to treat, detoxify, and cleanse the skin.
Aria Starr Dead Sea Mask is the perfect compliment to your everyday cleanser and can be used on every skin type. This multifaceted mask deep cleans, tightens pores, exfoliates with dead sea mud, hydrates with natural plant oils and nourishes your skin.
This mask contains dead sea mud sourced from the highest grade available. Dead sea mud contains nourishing micronutrients such as zinc, which is anti-inflammatory, magnesium, which helps strengthen skin, and sulphur which calms down acne and deep cleanses oil, dirt, and bacteria the pores. Formulated with shea butter and jojoba oil, this mask will leave your skin conditioned, hydrated and without that tight feeling you nay get from other mud masks.
This mask is best used no more than once or twice a week and is best used after your regular cleanser. If you are using a blackhead treatment cleanser, then you may want to use this mask once a week. If you are using a gentle non-treatment cleanser, then you can incorporate this treatment mask into your skincare routing more often and as needed.
This cleanser is an effective and smart choice for those who have not only blackheads but also active, inflamed and texturized acne because of its anti-inflammatory properties that soothe acne’s inherent inflammation.
Additionally, acne should never be exfoliated with a physical scrub because it causes scarring, inflammation and makes acne worse as well as irritated. This mask in non abrasive and will treat your blackheads while also treating acne without irritating it.
#4 Dr Song Glycolic Acid Face Wash and Pore Cleanser, 10% Gel, Anti-Aging Exfoliating Skin Care, Fight Redness, Acne Breakouts and Blemishes, Diminish Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Deep Pore Cleanser and Natural Exfoliation – Lift away dirt, oils, makeup and impurities from your pores with a revitalizing glycolic acid gel that helps clean and clarify your skin while restoring essential moisture and hydration.
- Fight Blemishes and Improve Clarity – This glycolic acid facial cleanser can help reduce acne breakouts by toning and tightening pores, reducing whiteheads and blackheads, and restoring healthy, glowing radiance.
- Soft, Soothing, Non-Drying Formula – Dr Song glycolic acid exfoliating cleanser is safe on dry, oily, sensitive, irritated, and combination skin and leaves skin feeling softer, suppler, and firmer to the touch for youthful balance.
Dr. Songs Glycolic Face Wash and Pore Cleanser is the perfect cleanser for treating blackheads and also has anti-aging properties.
This cleanser contains 10% glycolic acid which is derived naturally from sugar cane. Glycolic acid treats blackheads by diving deep into the pore and breaking up dead skin that is sitting it the way and causing blackheads to remain stuck. Additionally, glycolic acid removes dead skin but also skin that is in the process of working its way up to the top layer. This is helpful for preventing future clogging and blackheads.
Glycolic acid not only treats blackheads but also tightens the pores, making this a great choice for those who are seeking a refined look. Even more beneficial is that 10% glycolic acid is a very active level exfoliant which smooths out surface dehydration and fines lines as well as stimulates collagen.
Because glycolic acid, especially a 10% glycolic formula such as this cleanser, you wont’ need to exfoliate as much with a separate product. This can save you time and money. The cleanser can be alternated with a gentle cleanser, using it every other day or only in the evening.
This cleanser will help your serums and moisturizers absorb deeper into the skin making them more effective. When using active ingredients like acids, be sure to always use a sunscreen during the day because your skin will be photosensitive.
This is a wise choice for older skin that that wants to treat blackheads and wrinkles at the same time.
#5 TruSkin Charcoal Face Wash, Anti Aging Facial Cleanser with Activated Coconut Charcoal, Reishi and Astragalus Root for Men and Women, 4 fl oz
- DEEPLY CLEANSE & PURIFY SKIN - Activated coconut charcoal is a step above the rest. Its unique ability to draw out impurities paves the way to the clean, clear, and healthy looking skin you deserve. Blended with organic aloe and infused with essential extracts of Ylang-Ylang, Lavender, Cucumber and Comfrey to gently nourish and hydrate skin.
- BALANCING, REJUVENATING FORMULA – More than just a plain charcoal face wash, nutrient-rich Propolis, Organic Reishi and Astragalus Root Extract combine in this lightly foaming cleanser to soothe and feed unhappy skin while activated charcoal absorbs, detoxifies and balances.
- PROUDLY MANUFACTURED in the USA with the highest quality ingredients sourced domestically and around the globe. Sulfate-Free, Paraben-Free & Alcohol-Free.
This cleanser by the trusted brand, TruSkin is an effective charcoal cleanser that treats blackheads, soothes the skin and is unisex.
Charcoal draws out impurities and detoxifies the skin, while natural herbal oils such as lavender and ylang-ylang soothe the skin and give an aromatherapy-like experience. Cucumber calms inflammation which is vital for treating acne and blackheads, and comfrey gives an antibacterial treatment and a tingling cooling effect that you can feel working on your skin.
This is a smart option for those who want to be good to the environment but still treat blackheads without chemical or acidic ingredients. This well balanced formula is cruelty free, not tested on animals and manufactured in the U.S.A.
#6 Neutrogena Rapid Clear Oil-Eliminating Foaming Facial Cleanser For Oily and Acne-Prone Skin, Removes Pore-Clogging Dirt and Controls Shine, Oil-Free and Non-Comedogenic, 6 fl. oz
- 6-fluid ounces of Neutrogena Rapid Clear Oil-Eliminating Foaming Facial Cleanser to freshen skin and get lasting shine control
- Ideal for oily and acne-prone skin. Cleanser quickly dissolves pore-clogging dirt, reduces surface oil, and removes makeup without over-drying
- Clinically proven face wash to control oil and shine for hours. It foams up to rapidly and effectively remove oil and control shine
Neutrogena’s Rapid Clear Oil Elimination Foaming Cleanser is the best choice for extremely oily skin types who find that other cleansers are not quite enough, or for those who find themselves blotting oil off their skin throughout the day.
This cleanser contains glycerin which helps it glide while still becoming foamy. This oil removing cleanser is dermatologist recommended and clinically proven to help keep you shine free four hours after cleansing. This cleanser is more about what is not in the formulation. It does not contain any acids or active ingredients that specifically target blackheads. The cleanser helps blackheads by removing the oil from your skin so that your other treatment products can so their job without having the oil be in the way.
This cleanser is vital for fighting blackheads for highly oily and stubborn skin types because if all the oil is not removed from your skin, then blackheads will form as well as reoccur. After cleansing, your skin is left as the perfect canvas for adding your additional blackhead targeted treatments.
#7 Beauty By Earth Foaming Face Wash – Organic Face Wash, Peppermint Tea Tree Foaming Cleanser, Acne Face Wash for Women & Mens Face Wash, Men Face Wash for Acne, Acne Cleanser, Natural Face Wash For Oily Skin
- REDUCE BLEMISHES NATURALLY: By combining soothing natural ingredients, our foaming face wash eradicates impurities that cause acne and other skin blemishes. Aloe Vera leaf juice naturally draws out toxins to help keep breakouts away, and Tea Tree oils’ antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antifungal properties are a perfect match for acne, eczema and dermatitis.
- CLEANSE WITH FOAM FOR A GLOWING COMPLEXION: Because the foaming face wash penetrates the skin at a deep level, it will pressure wash your pores from the inside out to clear away dirt and oils. Once you use it, this facial cleanser will help you look at your complexion in a whole new way.
- ONLY THE GOOD STUFF: You don’t have to jeopardize your skin health by using products with low quality or worse - damaging ingredients. That’s why we use only the best natural and organic ingredients for our foaming face wash. It’s sulfate free, vegan, never tested on animals, and made right here in the USA. We’ve added just the right amount of peppermint, tea tree, and orange oil to provide an indulgent, relaxing aroma.
Last in our list of best face wash for blackheads is this Beauty By Earth, synthetic free cleanser which is a perfect fit for those who are seeking a natural, certified organic face wash but do not want to sacrifice effectiveness. This cleanser is foaming and still gentle on the skin. Though this is a fantastic cleanser for treating blackheads, it is also a cleanser you can use to prevent blackheads even if you do not have a severe blackhead condition.
The star ingredients in this cleanser are peppermint and tea tree oil. Though many are familiar with peppermint, its many skin benefits are not as widely known. Peppermint oil does more than just give your skin a stimulated, peppy feeling. It also gently increases stimulates blood flow and increases circulation which leaves skin vibrant and with a lively glow.
Peppermint oil also has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties which helps treat and prevent blackheads as well as the bacteria that causes acne which makes this cleanser multifunctional and a smart option for those who have a combination of blackheads and acne.
Peppermint is an extremely active and potent ingredient and it must be used wisely. Beauty By Earth has created the perfect cleanser with a formulation of peppermint that is safe and appropriate for the skin.
Peppermint oil also helps sooth inflamed and irritated acne. Calming the skin is an important part of managing dirt, oil and blackheads. Additionally, peppermint oil helps control oil production throughout the day which further aides in blackhead prevention and also helps keep oily, shiny skin at bay.
Tea tree oil help prevent blackheads by killing bacteria that leads to acne and blackheads. When peppermint oil and tea tree work synergistically, an effective blackhead treatment is formed.
This all natural cleanser will give your skin and invigorating feeling that is a perfect start to your morning. It is a proper choice for all ages and skin types and will leave skin just the way nature intended; clean, balanced and refreshed.