Having oily skin can be a real liability when it comes to doing your makeup. Some foundations do not work well with oily skin, while others work well for a few hours, then become oily and start to slide down your face later in the day. A great way to prevent oily, sliding foundation is to use powder to set your makeup. Not all powders are created equal, though. Some are meant for dry or normal skin, so they may not work for you. Others are custom made to handle oiliness. Finding the best face powder for oily skin is not always easy, but thankfully these powders may be perfect for your needs.
7 of the Best Face Powder for Oily Skin
#1 Sacha Buttercup Setting Powder
- FLASHBACK-SAFE. You never get a white cast or look ashy in bright lighting, selfies and photos.
- LONG-WEARING & OIL-FREE. Stays put and keeps your face matte all day long.
- FINELY-MILLED. Fills in fine lines and pores giving you an incredibly smooth, AIRBRUSHED finish.
Sacha is a world-famous cosmetics company located in Trinidad and Tobago. They make a variety of makeup products, most of which are aimed at medium and darker-skinned people. However, for their extraordinarily popular Buttercup setting powder, they have a shade for nearly every skin tone.
The translucent version, known as Buttercup No Color, is perfect for women who have lighter skin tones because it blends in with your foundation or concealer as if nothing is there. The Buttercup Light is great for medium and olive skin tones and has a distinctive color that also blends in so it looks almost like you are wearing no powder at all. Finally, the Buttercup shade is for darker skin tones and blends just as well as the other two.
You can take pictures of yourself wearing this powder without worrying about flashback or an ashy cast showing up in the photo. The powder is very finely grained, so it conceals your pores to give you a flawless finish. If you like to bake to set your makeup, the Sacha Buttercup formula is perfect for this as well. It is cruelty-free, hypoallergenic, and noncomedogenic so it will not clog your pores despite the excellent coverage.
In addition, this best face powder for oily skin is mattifying, so while it may not work for dry skin very well, it is perfect for oily complexions. As the day wears on, you will find that your makeup stays put and looks less oily. This means you have to blot or touch up less, which has the added bonus of conserving the powder so it lasts longer, making it a great investment.
#2 Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte + Poreless Pressed Face Powder
- This long-lasting 16-hour face powder from Maybelline New York visibly reduces the look of pores and mortifies shine, while effortlessly blending with the skin
- The Fit Me Perlite Mineral technology works to absorb oil, mortify the skin, and minimize the look of pores
- Apply this metrifying face powder to the skin for natural and buildable coverage to fit your preference
With over 25 shades to choose from, the Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte + Poreless Pressed Face Powder has something for everyone. This is a pressed powder, so it is perfect for tucking into your purse on a busy workday or throw it into a weekender bag or suitcase for worry-free travel.
The formula features a unique Fit Me Perlite Mineral technology which does three things that every person wants their setting powder to do. First is that it mattifies, which is exactly what someone with oily skin needs. Your foundation and concealer do not budge, so put it all over your face, including under the eyes. Second, it minimizes the look of pores, so areas on your face where your pores are enlarged will look flawless. Finally, the Perlite Mineral technology also absorbs oil, so you do not have to touch up during the day. In fact, Maybelline advertises this formula as lasting for a full 16 hours, which is a godsend for anyone with a shiny complexion.
You can even wear this powder alone, without any foundation because it is buildable. One layer is lightweight, while additional layers give you more coverage. This makes Fit Me a great powder for any season, even if your skin changes with the weather.
The formula is tested by dermatologists and won’t clog your pores. Additionally, it is allergy-tested so most people with sensitive or reaction-prone skin may find it safe to use.
#3 Maybelline New York Shine Free Oil-Control Loose Powder
- Advanced 100% oil-free formula with a soft, matte finish
- Lightweight powder glides on evenly
- Won’t cause blemishes or overdry skin
Once again, the experts at Maybelline find themselves on this list, but unlike the Fit Me powder, this one is a loose powder for those who prefer this option over a compact, compressed powder.
While some powders have a very matte finish, this one is a soft matte finish, which Maybelline claims will not make your skin look overdry. The last thing anyone with oily skin wants is to make their skin appear bone dry, which is the polar opposite look. It does help prevent shine and lasts all day, so if you have little time for a touchup during a busy workday, then this is the powder for you.
It is suitable for people with acne, as it will not clog your pores or cause any additional blemishes, making it suitable even for teenagers who get pimples and are just getting into makeup. However, the formula of this best face powder for oily skin is suitable for all ages and levels of makeup expertise. The container even comes with a powder puff so you can gently press it into the skin, or use your own brush for getting into tight areas around the nose or under the eyes.
#4 L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Powder
- Longwear Matte Face Powder: This lightweight pressed powder absorbs excess oil and reduces shine on the skin’s surface for up to 16 hours with a perfect matte finish for professional quality looks
- The Pro Look of Longwear: This powder can be used alone, to set foundation after application, and/or throughout the day for quick touch ups; Apply with provided sponge or your favorite powder brush
- Create a Flawless Look: Get a smooth, natural finish with the best face powder for your skin's tone and texture, from pressed powder for buildable coverage to matte powders for shine protection
From L’Oreal Paris comes the Infallible Pro-Matte Powder, which bills itself as the kind of powder that professional makeup artists would use. This means that you can achieve pro-level results at home, without the added cost of hiring a makeup artist.
This is a pressed powder that comes in a compact, and there are eight shades to choose from. The formula is touted as being ‘air-fine’ so it goes on very smoothly and does not look cakey. With a lightweight finish, this formula does mattify, but is buildable and can be worn alone or on top of foundation as a setting powder.
L’Oreal Paris says this powder is shine-defying for up to 16 hours so you do not have to reapply during the day as often. It has a matte finish and absorbs any excess oil, which is a must-have feature of any oily skin powder.
A sponge is included in the compact for pressing the powder into your skin, but you can use this with a brush as well. Either way, you can achieve medium coverage, so feel free to use it alone for a no-makeup makeup look on spring or summer days.
#5 Aesthetica Translucent Setting Powder
- The Aesthetica Translucent Setting Powder helps expertly set freshly applied makeup so it adheres to skin for hours. The lightweight formula soaks up excess oil while softening fine lines and hiding pores.
- Packed with high-quality ingredients, the Translucent Setting Powder is vegan, cruelty free and gluten free for peace of mind. Face Powder cosmetics with a conscience give modern makeup a beautiful new dimension.
- Simple step-by-step instructions make this translucent powder a fool-proof application. The perfect amount of loose powder creates makeup that sticks without treading into cake territory. It's the perfect Finshing Powder Makeup.
Many makeup mavens are taking a closer look at their cosmetic choices and are insisting on cruelty-free and vegan formulas, even if they themselves do not eat a vegan diet. If this sounds like you and you have oily skin, then the Aesthetica Translucent Setting Powder might just be for you.
This formula is meant to last all day and comes with a velour sponge to help you press it into the skin. The puff is very high-quality and even has a strap on the back to thread your fingers through for easy control. This is a loose powder that comes with a sifter top, so you do not have to dip your brush or sponge into the entire container, which helps keep the rest of the powder more sanitary.
The formula of this best face powder for oily skin is lightweight so it never looks cakey, but it still has staying power and soaks up excess oil. The package comes with handy instructions so you get a professional look and finish. Following the instructions means fine lines will be softened and pores blurred for an Instagram-ready finish to your makeup look.
This powder is also gluten-free, so if you have a gluten intolerance or Celiac’s disease, you can use this without worry. There is also no talc or parabens, so anyone looking for a cleaner formula that won’t irritate their skin may soon count this powder among their holy grail products.
Aesthetica also says that the powder complements the effect of your contour, and many fans of the formula say that it is great for baking your undereye concealer as well. Some users also use this as a powder foundation, so feel free to try using it without any foundation, though you may still want to use a concealer to hide blemishes or dark circles under your eyes. With a generous 20 grams of product per container, this powder is perfect for experimenting as both a finishing product and a foundation.
#6 L’Oreal Paris Hydra Perfecte Perfecting Loose Face Powder
- Translucent, loose, silky setting powder provides a touch of coverage to lock in makeup for long lasting wear and a flawless end result
- Minimizes the look of pores and skin imperfections for a super smooth makeup result with a modern matte finish
- Applicator puff included for easy application press the puff into loose powder, then gently press the puff onto skin, using rolling motions to set powder into makeup
With the world getting ever busier, many people are looking for products that have multiple benefits to help cut down on their grooming routine and save time. The L’Oreal Paris Hydra Perfecte Perfecting Loose Face Powder is more than just a face powder–it also has some really great skincare benefits so you are actually helping your skin while also perfecting its appearance at the same time.
The way it helps your skin is through moisturizers and vitamins included in the formula that gives you a healthy finish that enhances your texture, so if you have texture issues anywhere on your face, this is definitely a powder to try.
Light is diffused and pores are minimized with usage, and the formula helps protect your skin from damage. In addition to the skincare benefits, this powder also helps smooth the appearance of fine lines, pores, and wrinkles for a lightly blurred effect that looks great in pictures.
Since it is a loose powder, this product is easy to apply using the included applicator puff. As usual, you can also use your own brush if you prefer a more precise application.
If you do use the puff, L’oreal does suggest using a rolling motion to get better coverage. They also suggest putting it in oil-prone areas such as the forehead, nose, under the eyes, and the chin for mattifying purposes.
There are three shades to choose from, including a light and a medium tone. There is no dark or deep shade, but there is a translucent one that can be applied to a variety of skin tones.
#7 True + Luscious Velvet Matte Oil-Control Face Powder
- ✔️ CLEAN FORMULA: Formulated without talc, mineral oil, gluten, phthalates, parabens, sulfates, fragrance. We use certified ethically sourced Mica.
- ✔️ OIL BALANCING, SKIN-LOVING: Infused with minerals, vitamins and oil-absorbing kaolin clay, this translucent powder will keep your complexion looking naturally matte and shine-free all day. Triple-milled powder looks natural, never cakey or dry.
- ✔️ MULTI-TASKING: Perfect for use over liquid or cream makeup as a setting powder, or on its own over your skincare as a powder foundation.
This formula comes in six shades ranging from pale to deep and includes shades for different undertones, something not all powders do. While you can find a variety of foundations and even concealers in various undertones, powders rarely state what undertones they have.
With True + Luscious, you can get shade 00, which is the fairest shade with neutral undertones, shade 1 which is light with neutral undertones, shade 2 is light-medium with neutral undertones, Shade 3 is medium with golden undertones, Shade 4 is rich tan with neutral undertones, and shade 5 is deep with neutral undertones. If one of these shades is not right for you, some users combine two colors to get a custom shade and undertone match.
This best face powder for oily skin comes in a compact, so it is pressed rather than loose. It feels silky to the touch yet gives a matte finish that lasts all day to ensure you do not get shiny in the afternoon like so many people with oily skin do.
Touted as a ‘multiuse powder,’ this product calms redness for use as a color corrector instead of having to use a separate product. It may also be used as a powder foundation because it features buildable sheer-to-medium coverage, perfect for a day when you do not require full coverage makeup or just want a more natural finish.
If you do not want to use it as a foundation, you can instead use it to set your liquid or cream makeup, as it works well with both. It balances the oils in your skin to keep the matte look using kaolin clay, which is natural and free of talc in case you have that particular allergy. The powder is triple-milled for a very fine finish that does not look cakey, even if you build up several layers to get medium coverage.
Many makeup fans are looking for clean formulas, and True + Luscious does not disappoint. In addition to being free of talc, this formula also has no fragrances, phthalates, gluten, mineral oil, or parabens. It is also vegan and cruelty-free so you can feel good about your purchase. Mica is one of the main ingredients, and it is ethically-sourced.