We looked at a few dozen of the best moisturizers on the market to pick the best face moisturizer for men.
In the last decade the amount of men who started using a few basic skin care products has skyrocketed. Modern men don’t want to look like and old glove by the time they’re 50, and a few basics can pay huge dividends when it comes to skin care.
At the top of every skin care tool belt is, without a doubt, the moisturizer. Let’s look at the best ones on the market, scroll down to the bottom of the article to see our guidelines for choosing the best moisturizer available.
#1 RUGGED & DAPPER Face Moisturizer for Men
- Formulated for Men: Combats dryness, signs of aging, breakouts and daily environmental damage.
- Natural & Organic: Nutrient-rich ingredients release potent vitamins and minerals to regenerate skin. Includes: Botanical Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Vera, Jojoba and Shea.
- Highly Effective Formula: Fragrance free and quickly absorbs with a masculine, shine-free finish.
This can be one of the better choices for combating daily environmental damage, as the lotion is designed for the typical wear and tear that a man’s face goes through. This is especially true for anybody who happens to work outdoors regularly.
There are a variety of ingredients that are aimed specifically for anti-aging, although this lotion for men doesn’t have a strong odor to it. In contrast, it’s one of the few that doesn’t have much of a smell to it, which is something that many of us might look for.
Some of the larger things that it combats are dead skin cells, which can often lead to dryness and a variety of other unwanted conditions. The natural and organic formula used in the Rugged & Dapper moisturizer removes these while also be nutrient-rich.
As a result, if you happen to suffer from any minor skin conditions such as flakiness, then your facial skin may begin to repair itself over time. One of the other benefits of this is that it can be used for any skin type, ranging from dry to oily. It can also be one of the better moisturizers for men with sensitive skin.
#2 MARLOWE. No. 123 Men’s Facial Moisturizer
- HYDRATE DRY SKIN, NO GREASY FEELING: MARLOWE's lightweight face moisturizer brings hydration to a cleansed face, providing natural anti-aging & moisturizing effects. This cream works great on dry or oily skin.
- EXPERIENCE THE MARLOWE DIFFERENCE: Our men’s face lotion is made with our proprietary Marlowe. M Blend: a unique natural formulation of passionflower fruit, green tea, and willow bark extracts designed to best nourish, smooth, and revitalize skin.
- REFRESHING SCENT: Lightly scented with a clean balance of aloe and citrus followed by a woody base.
Marlowe No. 123 is one of the better lotions for tackling dry skin and its related conditions, as many of its features are focused on hydration. Alongside this are the anti-aging benefits that it offers. While the majority of creams offer this, few do so as effectively as this one.
Much of this is driven by the relatively unique formula, which includes green tea extract and a variety of fruit oils. What makes this stand out is the use of willow bark extract, which can offer a more revitalizing experience during and after use.
The passionflower extract that’s included in this means that there’s a large amount of Iron and Vitamin C. Both of these allow for a large degree of water retention, as well as encouraging skin to repair itself. These qualities are seen much faster than many of its competitors.
Compared to many other moisturizers, this is water-based. As a result, it doesn’t feel as heavy on your skin. This also means that the face lotion much easier to apply than others. Alongside this is the fact that it has less of a greasy quality than other brands, which is something that many of us will look for.
#3 CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
- [ ALL DAY HYDRATION ] Provides 24-hour hydration and helps restore the protective skin barrier with three essential ceramides (1,3,6-II)
- [ MOISTURE-RETAINING INGREDIENTS ] Formulated with hyaluronic acid to help retain skin's natural moisture
- [ PATENTED TECHNOLOGY ] Utilizes patented MVE controlled-release technology to help replenish ceramides and deliver long lasting moisturization
One of the larger benefits of the CeraVe Moisturizing Cream is that it isn’t limited to facial application, as it can be used on any part of the body while offering positive results. This means that it can be a cost-effective solution to moisturizing anywhere, so you should be able to replace the majority of your lotions.
This is also a lotion for men that offers a longer amount of protection than many others, as it lasts for up to 24-hours. As a result, you’ll be able to use much less of it during the day. For maximum results, you should apply it first thing in the morning or right before you go to bed.
There are a few benefits to using the cream, with its repairing qualities being the most prominent. This is seen through the use of three ceramides, which also offer hydration qualities. Coupled with a few other active ingredients, this helps to make dry skin softer and moisturize over a few weeks.
There’s also the fact that this is non-comedogenic, so it can be an appropriate choice for anyone who suffers from acne or any similar conditions.
#4 Lather & Wood’s Luxurious Sophisticated Men’s Moisturizer
- FACE MOISTURIZER FOR MEN - Goes on smooth with a non greasy, fragrance-free formula. The natural ingredients in this moisturizer guarantee your skin will look and feel neither greasy nor dry. Your skin will merely look and feel balanced, smooth, and natural. Apply day or night or both.
- NEW* UPDATED DISPENSING LID - Eliminates clogged pumps for smooth troublefree dispensing.
- THE PINNACLE IN ANTI AGING FACE CREAM FOR MEN - Premium mens skincare formula contains only high quality natural ingredients including natural peptides, hyaluronic acid, organic jojoba oil, and shea butter, and multiple botanical antioxidants such as palm oil. A face lotion that doubles as an eye cream, with ingredients designed to repair, hydrate, and fortify skin cells for immediate moisture retention, and long term skin health. Best for either dry or oily skin.
Many of us will want to avoid the greasy feeling that’s often associated with a face lotion. This is one of the key areas where this Lather & Wood moisturizer shines while offering many of the benefits that its greasier counterparts provide.
A feeling of freshness after being used is one of the more prominent advantages to this, as it encourages rejuvenation and hydration almost immediately. Much of this is driven by the inclusion of hyaluronic acid, which is the lotion’s active ingredient.
There are several anti-aging benefits on offer with this, which is mainly seen with extra application around any wrinkles or fine lines. The Lather & Wood’s moisturizer is most beneficial for men with dry or oily skin, as it’s one of the thicker creams on the market.
This is also one of the more gentle creams for your skin, and is safe enough to be applied even on eyebrows.
Alongside the anti-aging benefits that come with this are those related to acne. This is because it’s one of the more non-comedogenic moisturizers for men on the market. As a result, if you’re looking for a lotion specifically geared toward taking care of acne, then this could be the right choice for you.
#5 TruSkin Daily Facial Moisturizer
- POWERFUL RESTORATIVE ANTI AGING FORMULA - Supercharged blend with 15% Vitamin C and potent antioxidants combine with Vitamin B5, MSM, Pure Organic Jojoba Oil and Green Tea for a lightweight, ultra-effective day and night facial moisturizer made for all skin types, including combination skin uneven dry skin and oily complexions.
- THE DIFFERENCE in skin care treatment with TruSkin Natural Vitamin C Anti aging facial moisturizer is striking. In addition to this face creams powerful antiaging properties, men & women have reported this hydrating face lotion has helped smooth & hydrate skin, shrink pores, clear up acne, prevent breakouts, and minimize the appearance of acne scars - giving skin a firm radiant, healthy and glowing appearance.
- THE BENEFITS OF VITAMIN C are unparalleled - A powerhouse antioxidant known for brightening skin tone and diminishing signs of sun damage like Dark Spots, Sun Spots, Age Spots , and Hyperpigmentation, vitamin C is known to boost skin's natural sun protection, refine skin texture and fade the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
Those of us who suffer from acne may want a face lotion that specifically targets the ailment. This is where the TruSkin Daily Facial Moisturizer shines, as this is what it’s been designed for. Much of this is done through the inclusion of both Vitamin C and B5, both of which provide a variety of benefits for your skin.
Alongside the antioxidants that are included, you should see several other effects after prolonged use, such as brighter, more vibrant skin. The results of sun damage, especially dark spots, and aging effects, should also be significantly reduced.
This is also one of the better moisturizers for men that targets fine lines, which you should see diminish considerably over time. The Vitamin C that’s included in this also helps to boost your skin’s natural ability to defend and heal itself, which will mean less damage in the future.
This is a lotion for men with a variety of skin types, most notably dry, wrinkly, or oily skin. As it’s a thicker lotion, it can be absorbed better into the majority of faces, so there should be no problems applying it.
Best Face Moisturizers for Men | A Buying Guide
Many people assume men and women have the same face skin. There are similarities on a bio-dermal level. Men tend to have skin that is thicker, oilier, and more porous. They are more likely to have acne. In a guy’s late 20s and early 30s, the protein synthesis process starts to slow down. As they grow older, the face loses collagen. There are genetic variables that factor into the dynamic — use of tobacco, alcohol intake, health history, and genes all matter.
Age and sun damage are not friends of the skin. Skin issues such as eczema and psoriasis affect millions of people. Most men do not understand the role face moisturizers play in the health of their skin and their overall appearance. Protection from airborne chemicals encountered every day, UV ray radiation, and proper maintenance are reasons to use face moisturizers. The market no longer targets only women. Some products enhance skincare for men.
Moisturizing for Specific Types of Skin
There is a difference between skin looking shiny due to sweat and an oily face all day long. Many men have oily skin. Oil is essential to healthy skin. Those having oily skin tend to age better than those with dry skin. Overproduction of oil enlarges and clogs pores and leads to unsightly breakouts and blackheads. Oil production depends on genetics and skincare habits. There is no changing DNA, but men have control over their skincare routine.
Preventing Oily Skin
Maintaining healthy habits include eating well and keeping the face hydrated with moisturizers. To amp up moisturizing, use ultra-hydrating patches specifically designed to keep the face healthy. They are medical-grade silicon patches worn while sleeping to give the skin an overnight boost of moisture.
Sensitive skin takes extra care. Read the list of ingredients and the effects before applying to the skin. Treat problem areas with products that are gentle and made to resolve and combat personal skin issues. A quality moisturizer is the main product in sensitive skincare.
Choosing Products for Sensitive Skin
Look for lightweight, soothing, and hydrating formulas. There are mens face cream and gel available that are scented or fragrance-free. The best face moisturizers for men are paraben- and sulfate-free. A cotton extract helps soften skin. Aloe and rice extract soothe and moisturize it.
Moisturizers tested by dermatologists for allergens are hypoallergenic. Vitamin B helps restore the skin, and chamomile soothes it. Moisturizers that contain Glycerin, Niacinamide, Ceramide-3, and Prebiotic Thermal Water retain moisture and leave skin feeling hydrated. A moisturizer infused with a blend of botanical oxidants requires only a small amount to cleanse very sensitive skin.
Contrary to oily skin that requires a drier men’s face cream, those with flaky or dry skin want a cream loaded with complimentary moisturizing agents. Hydrating properties of quality face creams help reduce flaking and fill in hairline wrinkles starting to form.
Choosing a Moisturizer for Dry Skin
A moisturizer that contains non-abrasive ingredients and has an SPF of 20 doubles as a moisturizer and sun protectant. SPF fights UVA and UVB rays. Synthetic fragrances are harmful to the skin. It is best for people with dry skin to avoid them. Also, avoid products that contain sodium laurate, sulfate, and parabens.
Green tea extract is a natural product that doubles as an antioxidant. Another natural ingredient that cures wounds and promotes healthy skin growth is green tamanu oil. Dimethazone does an excellent job of hydrating the skin and leaving behind a matte-like finish that keeps the face from looking shiny.
Many wrinkle creams advertise the ability to aid in reversing the signs of aging. Smart strategies say they offer the best men’s face lotion. Often consumers feel disappointed. The best moisturizers for wrinkles include ingredients that help keep skin hydrated.
Choosing a Moisturizer for Wrinkles
In the search for a moisturizer for wrinkles, look for a few ingredients that help combat the problem. They include collagen, Vitamin C, retinol, and hyaluronic acid. Collagen is a critical part of the skin’s framework. It gives it elasticity. When found in a moisturizer, it works on the skin surface to temporarily replenish collagen.
Some forms of Vitamin C are more effective than others. The reason Vitamin C is so popular is that it helps even out the skin tone. It keeps the skin hydrated and revitalizes the skin’s surface. Vitamin C is a critical component in keeping wrinkles to a minimum.
Retinol is Vitamin A in its the purest form. It helps brighten and firm dull skin as it works with other ingredients to make the skin look younger. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring polysaccharide that is already in the body. Skin tissues store it.
Hyaluronic acid holds moisture in the skin. It is able to hold as much as 1000 times its weight in water. When applied to the face, it helps plump wrinkles and fine lines. Of all the ingredients mentioned above, hyaluronic acid is the most beneficial. The others help reduce the wrinkly appearance but are not as helpful as moisturizers.
Men with normal skin have few imperfections, and the skin is usually not sensitive. Pores are not visible, and the skin tone is radiant. Combination skin sometimes is prone to blackheads, has both dry and oily areas with patches of dry skin. The cheeks, nose, or forehead is shiny.
Choosing a Moisturizer for Normal or Combination Skin
Those with normal skin benefit from a moisturizer that contains an SPF of 30 to protect the skin from the sun. Products that use Vitamins A, C, and E; green tea and antioxidants help protect and repair the skin. Products that contain eucalyptus oil and Vitamin B promote a youthful appearance and reduce dryness for those with combination skin.
Activated charcoal ingredients help purge the skin of impurities. Retinol and hyaluronic acid are also ingredients to look for when addressing combination skin. Retinol is a natural ingredient that increases collagen. Hyaluronic acid rejuvenates the skin.
All face moisturizers have specific directions about the application and frequency. Read labels with care. Men don’t like spending time fussing about grooming products. It is best to cleanse the face two times per day. Put on a moisturizer in the morning and wash it off at night. Instead of soap, choose a facial cleanser that is designed to moisturize.