While most people can get away with grabbing any ol’ soap from their local drugstore and call it a day, people who suffer from dry skin need to be a bit more discerning when it comes to their soap or body wash. We get our testers and skin care experts to dig into the best body washes for dry skin that are available on the market in 2019 and where to get them.
As always we feature our top 3 picks, but feel free to scroll down to see our body wash for dry skin buying guide where we look into all the specific criteria we use to grade these products.
- 🌱 WILD INGREDIENTS WITH A MOISTURIZING TOUCH: Perhaps it’s our wild grown soapberries that leave you clean and fresh without drying your sensitive skin. Or maybe it’s our Deep Moisture Botanicals that nourish, hydrate, and calm, leaving softness without residue! Regardless of why everyone loves it, our Relaxing Lavender Shower Gel makes perfect sense for dry, sensitive skin.
- 🌱 QUENCH YOUR SKIN'S THIRST: For smooth moisturized skin, you must keep its acidic pH at around 5.5. And that’s exactly what Soapberry does! We simply added coconut cleansers, Shea Butter, Aloe Vera, Cucumber and Chamomile. For winter dryness and sensitive skin, this Sulfate Free body wash is the hydrating drink your skin has been thirsting for.
- 🌱 GENTLE LAVENDER SCENT: Many 'sensitive’ organic body wash brands still contain harsh chemicals, and it’s felt as itchy skin, sticky residues, and strong fragrances. You’ll appreciate the fact that Soapberry For Body is not just a hydrating body wash, it’s skincare harvested from nature––including the Relaxing Lavender Essential Oil. For the perfect combo, add our face wash and lotion!
There’s a lot to love about this gorgeously scented lavender bodywash, especially if you struggle with dry skin. Since dry skin can often be exacerbated by harsh irritants, this moisturizing body wash is free of them. Plus, it has a pH of 5.5, which means it won’t disturb the delicate balance of your skin.
The body wash is packed full of skin-loving ingredients, including aloe, shea butter, chamomile and cucumber. It also utilizes soapberries, a naturally occurring species of berries that serves as an antimicrobial and anti-fungal agent, which means that you can feel clean without stripping your dry skin of its natural oils and moisture.
For those who like a side of compassion with their beauty, you’ll be pleased to hear that this body wash is cruelty-free and vegan. Furthermore, the natural ingredients are fair trade. This stunning body wash is thankfully free of any artificial ingredients or harsh detergents and instead packed with nothing but ethically sourced nourishing ingredients.
Fans of this body wash love the way it makes their skin feel. Although the product feels a bit runny in the bottle, it quickly foams up to a satisfying lather when applied to a loofah or sponge.
- Refreshing Body Wash Men & Women Will Love: Experience the Puracy difference on your first try of our natural moisturizing body wash. This gentle and effective gel cleanser provides men and women a rich, hydrating, & purifying bathing experience even for the most sensitive skin. Developed by doctors and perfected by skincare experts, the Puracy Body Wash cleans and exfoliates without irritation--truly a complete shower wash that leaves your skin fresh, clean and well-hydrated
- 99.3% Plant-Powered Body Wash: What sets the Puracy Body Wash apart from others is our definition and standard of natural products that don't just work, but work really well. This men & women body wash is enriched with a blend of rockstar ingredients derived from nature--like Coco Glycinate (from coconuts) that creates a rich luxurious foam and leaves your skin silky soft & smooth, Himalayan Sea Salt for purification & gentle exfoliation, and essential oils for a lovely balanced fragrance
- Daily Full Body Cleanser Perfect for All Skin Types: The rich and fragrant foam of our Citrus & Sea Salt Body Wash rinses squeaky clean and leaves your skin fresh and well-hydrated. Excluding harmful elements like sulfates, cocamidopropyl betaine (yes, this shouldn't be in skin care products), salicylates, parabens, petroleum-based ingredients, animal by-products, perfumes, or dyes, our complete body wash moisturizing formula proves to be great on normal, dry, oily and sensitive skin
Many people who suffer with dry skin also suffer with conditions like eczema, keratosis pilaris and psoriasis. Anyone dealing with these dry skin conditions knows that many chemicals in traditional soaps and body washes can exacerbate their skin concerns. The Puracy Natural Body Wash is the perfect choice for anyone who needs a natural product that won’t irritate their existing dermatological conditions, but that will also restore moisture to their chronically dry skin.
This body wash is hypoallergenic and chemical-free. The Puracy line of body products was designed with the sensitive skin of children in mind, but it’s a great choice for grown-ups too. This body wash lathers into a rich foam and is naturally scented with the aroma of citrus and sea salt. Fans of this lovely body wash say the scent reminds them of “grapefruit and ocean air.” This is a great choice for people who like a little luxury with their sensitive skin products, as oftentimes a bodywash for sensitive skin will be completely fragrance-free.
Devotees to the Puracy body wash swears that it leaves them feeling squeaky clean without irritating their existing skin issues. It’s a fan favorite for swimmers, as it rids the skin of chlorine residue without stripping away the skin’s moisture. This body wash allows the skin to feel hydrated and healthy, even without the use of a moisturizer after stepping out of the shower.
- 33-fluid ounce bottle of Aveeno Skin Relief Body Wash gently cleanses while removing dirt, oil and bacteria and provides soothing relief of dry, itchy skin
- The unique formula of this daily body wash is enriched with soothing oat to help nourish skin without disrupting your skin's natural moisture barrier for soft, smooth and healthy-looking skin
- From the dermatologist-recommended skincare brand for over 65 years, the dry skin body wash is suitable for daily use and is gentle enough for sensitive skin
If you struggle with finding a body wash that will leave you feeling clean without causing your skin to become dry or itchy, the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Wash is a great choice. In addition to being one of the best body washes for dry skin, it’s a budget-friendly choice for anyone who wants their skin to feel nourished without breaking the bank.
The main ingredient in this body wash is colloidal oatmeal, which has been used for centuries to soothe skin irritation and restore hydration and health to troubled complexions. Fans of this body wash love its light fragrance, which is unisex and perfect for anyone who doesn’t want to be bombarded with too much perfume every time they shower.
This product is hypoallergenic and soap-free, but still leaves users feeling completely clean. Since it’s so gentle on both the skin and the wallet, it’s a great choice for any dry or sensitive skin types who need to shower multiple times a day. This body wash will keep the skin feeling hydrated and nourished long after you’ve stepped out of the shower, even if you forget or neglect to use any additional lotions or moisturizers.
Selecting the Best Body Wash for Dry Skin | The Complete Buying Guide
If you suffer from dry skin or suspect that you have dry skin, it’s important to take special care of all of your skin. The body washes you use, as well as the lotions and additional skin care products that are part of your routine should be especially nourishing and formulated for dry skin. Products that provide moisture and keep your skin from drying out during the day can prevent irritation and keep your skin healthy and youthful. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when you’re searching for a body wash that is beneficial for dry skin.
What Causes Dry Skin?
Before you start searching for moisturizing body wash or shower gel, it’s important to know what’s causing your dry skin. This will help you find products with healthy ingredients that will soften the skin and prevent redness or irritation.
Skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis can lead to dry skin. The skin’s cells build up in one area of the body and cause rough, dry patches; these conditions can also cause the skin to peel. Atopic dermatitis is another cause of dry skin. This form of dermatitis can occur because of an allergic reaction or exposure to harsh weather. Contact dermatitis occurs when someone uses a substance that irritates the skin, such as lotion, perfume or body wash.
Conditions like diabetes and insulin resistance can also cause dry skin. The body is often starved of nutrients and water, which can make the skin scaly and even cause hyperpigmentation.
Even if you don’t have any of these health conditions, you could start to develop dry skin if you use soaps or body washes that contain harsh chemicals. Lotions that are made primarily of water can cause dry skin as well, so be sure to select quality products for keeping your skin moisturized.
Dry Skin Symptoms
Symptoms of dry skin include redness, peeling, and skin that may be painful to the touch. Dry skin is also itchy and rough and may have a white or gray tint. If your skin feels tight after you’ve been in water (i.e. swimming, bathing or showering), this is a sign of dry skin as well. If you notice that your skin is flaking or looks scaly, this is also a dry skin symptom. In severe cases, the skin will bleed; this is an indication that intense moisturizing products should be applied to the skin as soon as possible.
Soaps and Body Washes to Avoid
When you’re searching for the best body wash for dry skin, make sure you stay away from products that contain too many synthetic ingredients. If there are too many ingredients on the list that you can’t pronounce, chances are you don’t need to put the product on your skin. If there are synthetic colors in the body wash, they could have a drying effect on the skin and cause irritation. Triclosan is another ingredient to look out for; this substance is antibacterial, but can strip the skin of its natural oils. Avoid body washes that contain parabens as well. These chemicals are often used to create a creamy consistency, but can dry out the skin and lead to hormonal imbalances. Don’t buy body washes that contain formaldehyde, either, since this chemical, which is used as an embalming fluid, zaps moisture from the skin’s cells.
Caring For Dry Skin
One of the first things you can do to care for dry skin is avoid hot baths and showers. Extremely warm water strips the skin of its natural oils. Instead, take a bath in tepid water or bathe in cool water. You can also add ground oatmeal to your bathwater to soothe dry skin and get rid of the redness and peeling that is often associated with eczema.
When you’re searching for body washes and soaps, choose mild formulas that are free of fragrances and dyes. Body washes made from natural ingredients that condition the skin can help keep dry skin at bay. It’s also easier for you to keep the skin moisturized if you apply lotion immediately after a bath or shower, while the skin is still moist.
Finding The Perfect Body Wash
Body washes that contain ingredients like coconut oil or shea butter can benefit dry skin significantly. Shea butter contains fatty acids and vitamins that nourish the skin. Shea butter is also a natural treatment for eczema, so applying it after a bath or shower could be helpful. Coconut oil conditions the various layers of the skin and effectively removes bacteria from the skin. Coconut oil is also high in vitamin E, which smooths the skin and shields it from free radicals that can lead to excessive drying and aging. Both shea butter and coconut oil also contain ingredients that shield the skin from the harsh rays of the skin, which keeps the skin moisturized and free of redness and peeling.
Body washes made with goat milk and sea salt are great for dry skin as well. Goat milk gently moisturizes the skin and helps to even skin tone and prevent dryness and irritation. Sea salt works well on dry skin because it provides essential minerals for skin health and draws out impurities that keep the skin cells from working properly.
Soaps For Dry Skin
Castille soap is helpful for dry skin because it’s natural and promote skin cell growth. You can also find castille soap infused with essential oils like lavender and chamomile, since these oils have a gentle effect on the skin and make the skin smoother and softer. There are also several soaps on the marketing that contain coconut and shea butter as well, and these have a lather that will saturate the skin each time you wash. Many of these soaps are also safe to use on the face if you suffer from dry facial skin or want to get rid of eczema or rosacea. Be sure to search for soaps that contain ingredients like vitamins A and E as well; this helps to shield your skin when you’re outdoors and can keep your skin looking moisturized and youthful.
Keeping these tips in mind can restore your skin and keep your skin refreshed and healthy. A dry skin routine that is tailored to your needs will help you see results quicker.