Makeup is a booming industry, and today’s products have come a long way from what our grandmothers used in the past. Nowadays, it’s possible to get a high-quality product for very reasonable prices. Primer is one example. Primer helps foundation go on smoother and stay put, so it’s an absolute must in our makeup arsenals. You might be surprised to learn that your local drugstore carries some of the best primer around, but it’s true! You no longer have to shell out big bucks to get a primer that works. Here are the 10 best drugstore primers that are just as good as the high-end stuff.
#1 Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Makeup Primer
- PREPS SKIN FOR BEST RESULTS: Makeup primer helps maximize results from liquid foundation
- HYDRATES SKIN: Nourishing formula keeps skin feeling fresh and hydrated
- CONVENIENT PUMP BOTTLE: Bottle comes with a pump dispenser for easy use
These days, the best drugstore primers have multiple functions, and this product from Covergirl and Olay is no exception. The Simply Ageless Makeup Primer goes on creamy and hydrates your skin like a moisturizer. It also fills in pores and fine lines, leaving skin looking younger. Of course, it preps your skin for foundation, too. The best part about this primer is that it improves the look of your skin, whether you wear it under foundation or on its own as a moisturizer. Therefore, it’s a truly multi-purpose product that packs a lot of value in each bottle. This product works for all skin types, but it’s highly recommended for mature skin.
#2 Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer
- Smooths and perfects skin to create a picture perfect canvas for makeup
- High Definition Filter Technology reflects and diffuses light to create a flawless, airbrushed look
- Lightweight, pink tinted formula brightens skin and softens the appearance of imperfections
Revlon’s Photoready Perfecting Primer stands out for its ability to leave skin looking firm and dewy, making it one of the best drugstore primers available. The secret is the pink tint, which balances out uneven spots and gives your skin a natural glow. Photo-chromatic pigments also brighten skin and soften imperfections. Just like any good primer should, it stays suspended over lines and pores, leaving your skin canvas-ready for the smoothest foundation application ever.
#3 E.l.f. Cosmetics Hydrating Face Primer
- Transforms your face into a flawless, smooth canvas, ready for makeup application that lasts all day.
- Formula infused with grape, Vitamins A, C and E to help boost complexion and hydrate your skin.
- Blend evenly on face and allow to dry before applying makeup.
E.l.f. Is the holy grail of budget beauty, and their face primer certainly delivers. This powerful primer keeps makeup on top of your skin and out of your pores. It’s also packed with skin-loving ingredients like vitamins A, C, E, and grape extract, which leave your complexion nourished and hydrated. Say goodbye to dry patches, oily patches, and cakey foundation. Just a little bit of this product goes a long way in keeping your foundation intact throughout the day.
#4 NYX Studio Perfect Primer
- Studio Perfect Primer: Prep your complexion for perfection using our Clear Studio Perfect Primer; This silky formula creates a smooth matte surface for foundation and prolongs the wear of your makeup; Also available in color correcting Lavender and Green
- Smooth and Easy Application: Create a smooth matte finish before makeup application with this easy to apply primer; Also available in color correcting Lavender and Green shades to address a variety of skin concerns
- Face From Foundation To Finish: Complete your makeup look with our full line of NYX Professional Makeup face products to aid in color correction and coverage from blush, bronzer, foundations and contouring concealer to palettes and powders
For an effective, workhorse of a primer, give NYX a try. Their Studio Perfect Primer has a silky, clear formula that’s practically invisible once you put it on. The product is also available in lavender or green for complexions that need a little color correcting. This primer dries matte, so you can prolong your foundation without any shininess, and its all-day staying power is comparable to department store brands.
#5 Rimmel London Stay Matte Primer
- Volume: 30 ml (1 fl oz)
- Skin perfecting
- Ultra lightweight formula
Rimmel London Stay Matte Primer makes pores smaller and combats shine for up to eight hours. Wear it under foundation or on its own to leave skin looking matte, airbrushed, and selfie-ready. This product is great for oily skin that tends to get shiny throughout the day. It can also be used as your go-to primer during humid summers, when you need a little extra help keeping your makeup on your face.
#6 Soap and Glory One Heck of a Blot Instant Perfecting Power Primer
- Soap and Glory One Heck Of A Blot Instant-Perfecting Power Primer 30ml
Here’s another primer for oily skin. Soap and Glory’s Instant Perfecting Primer cuts down on oil production for a perfectly shine-free look. The addition of soothing Vitamin E softens and evens out uneven skin tone, so your foundation can look as flawless as possible. This primer promises 12 hours of active oil-fighting, foundation-holding power, so a little dab in the morning will allow your makeup to last until nightfall.
#7 Maybelline Facestudio Master Prime Primer
- Blurs skin imperfections and smooths fine lines
- Primes skin for even makeup application without a greasy feel
- Weightless, water-based formula, non-oily
Maybelline’s line of primers help “blur” imperfections while also hydrating the skin and giving your makeup some serious staying power. Thanks to its water-based formula, this drugstore primer sits comfortably on your skin without any heaviness or greasiness. Additionally, this product comes in different formulas, such as hydrating, pore-refining, or SPF, so everyone can find the perfect primer for their skin type.
#8 L’Oreal Paris Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer
- The light infusing face primer enlightens complexion, instantly illuminates, and prolongs the wear of any makeup look
- A unique light liquid formula, Magic Lumi primer blends seamlessly into skin to boost its liveliness and luminosity
- Magic Lumi primer works on all skin types and tones to smooth texture, minimize the appearance of pores, and even tone for a natural-looking, flawless complexion
For people who love that dewy look, L’Oreal’s Light Infusing Primer is a godsend. Its shimmery finish gives skin an extra illuminating boost. Pair it with your favorite foundation to glow from within. The ultra-lightweight formula is great for both oily and dry skin. Thanks to its light infusing properties, this primer works just as great as a subtle highlighter.
#9 L’Oreal Paris Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Primer
- Resurfacing smoothing primer
- Use alone for instantly refined complexion
- Use under make-up for enhanced make-up results
As the name implies, this super-blendable, non-comedogenic primer transforms your skin like magic. The product is thick and cakey in the jar, but activates from your skin’s natural warmth when you put it on, leaving your complexion matte and silky. It minimizes pores and wrinkles while holding onto your foundation. The only thing it doesn’t do is hydrate, so remember to put on moisturizer before using this primer.
#10 Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser Primer
- Pore Minimizer Face Primer: A pore blurring makeup primer, Baby Skin goes on like a moisturizer to help create a smooth canvas before applying your makeup or just to leave skin looking matte and poreless
- Bye Bye Pores: Apply primer, face makeup and concealer, or wear primer on a bare face for a low maintenance look that's smooth, matte and moisturized all day; If you're looking to minimize pores, this primer is for you
- Best Face Forward: We have sheer, medium, and full coverage foundation in liquid, stick, and cushion foundation formulas, plus a range of concealers, primers, contours, highlighters, and pressed powders
If you’re pining for flawless skin like you just came out of the womb, then look no further than Maybelline’s Baby Skin Primer. One of the best drugstore primers that is so affordable yet works amazing. This product helps banish enlarged pores, allowing you to put your best face forward. It has a clear, matte finish that’s nearly invisible, so you can use it as a primer or as an everyday moisturizer for an instant filtered effect.