As someone who has been blessed with 3B textured hair, I often have to deal with frizzy strands and dryness, especially in the colder months. Add to this the process of bleaching, dying and combing, and it makes for a poofy damaged mess. I wasn’t really sure how to get my hair under control and maintain curl definition. Then I found the secret trick my other curly-patterned friends relied upon on-deep conditioning hair masks. Hair masks help your hair by depositing moisture back into the follicles, and the best deep conditioning hair masks usually come equipped with certain vitamins and nutrients to help your hair retain a level of softness and shine. I was hooked on the concept immediately, but I struggled with a tumultuous trial and error process before finding the mask that was right for me.
What Should I Look For in a Deep Conditioning Mask?
The best deep conditioning hair masks are not only judged by the vitamins they have, but by the ingredients left out. When shopping for a deep conditioner, you have to consider your hair type and what will work best. For someone like me, products with Sulfates are a serious no-go because they can dull color-treated hair and make it fade. You’ll also see a lot of companies boasting that they are paraben-free, this is because of the effects parabens are thought to have on the body. Parabens may mess with hormone functions and have been rumored to cause cancer, so shopping for a product that doesn’t contain them is a must for a large percentage of us. If you have dry hair, you may also want to avoid treatments that have high isopropyl-alcohol content.
All of that being said, everyone’s hair is different. It’s important for you to do your own research on what will work best for you, but hopefully, this list gives you a good starting ground when shopping for the best deep conditioning hair masks for you.
10 of the Best Deep Conditioning Hair Masks
#1 Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Mask
- MOISTURIZES: Certified Organic Shea Butter Hydrates The Scalp And Hair To Restores Its Natural Balance
- RESTORES: Sea Kelp Repairs Dry And Damaged Hair While Helping Chemically Treated Hair Transition To Natural
- NOURISHES: Argan Oil Is Filled WithVitamin E And Gives Hair Luster And Shine
Best For:Dry, Damaged, or Transitioning Hair
I’ve always been a fan of Shea Moisture as I love the scents in their shampoos. The reason I recommended this mask first is the nutritive properties of Shea Butter. Shea Butter is dense in Vitamins A, E, and F and encourages collagen production in both hair and skin. Argan oil is another great addition to this mask because of its moisturizing capabilities. Because Argan Oil moisturizes both the hair and scalp, it aids in the increase of hair thickness and growth. This mask was great at helping repair the damage in my hair and adding back some of the moisture I lost from the bleaching and dyeing process!
#2 OGX Extra Strength Damage Remedy + Coconut Miracle Oil Hair Mask
- Repair and soften coarse, thick hair with this extra strength coconut oil hair mask Free from parabens & sulfated surfactants, this deep conditioning treatment helps calm frizz and tame flyaways
- REPAIR and REVIVE YOUR STRANDS: The 6-ounce container of OGX Extra Strength Damage Remedy + Coconut Miracle Oil Hair Mask Treatment deeply quenches each strand transforming hair into silky smooth perfection
- DEEPLY CONDITIONING FOR COARSE DRY HAIR: Ideal for medium to coarse-textures, medium to dry hydration levels, and medium to high volume hair types, this extra hydrating hair mask help tame frizzy hair and flyaways, leaving hair feeling soft and shiny
BEST FOR Dry, frizzy hair
I love treating myself to this because of the fragrant coconut in it! The coconut oil in this product also acts similarly to Argan Oil as a moisturizer for both scalp and hair. Coconut Oil has been used to treat a variety of skin rashes such as Psoriasis and Eczema, so it’s proven to be great for dryness and itchiness.
#3 Carol’s Daughter Almond Milk Ultra-Nourishing Hair Mask
- ULTRA-NOURISHING HAIR MASK: Our Almond Milk Hair Mask helps repair broken, over-processed hair so it looks and feels softer and healthier for longer, reversing damage from the inside out.
- FOR DAMAGED HAIR: Carol's Daughter Almond Milk Shampoo, Conditioner, Leave-In Conditioner, and Ultra-Nourishing Hair Mask are all blended to repair daily damage; Paraben-free, petroleum-free, mineral oil-free.
- ALMOND MILK FOR NATURALLY CURLY HAIR: Created for naturally curly hair, from the short-cropped 4c curly hairstyle to 1c waves, we use the ingredients your curls crave, like Sweet Almond Oil, Aloe and Shea Butters, and proteins.
BEST FOR: Damaged and over-processed Hair
Carol’s Daughter is another great company to purchase from because they cater to a variety of hair. Their website boasts products for up to nine different strand types and has a specific section for sulfate-free products Almond Milk is a great ingredient in hair products because of the monosaturated fatty acids present in almonds that can help strengthen hair. The aloe also works to help reduce dandruff and deposit a variety of nutrients such as Vitamins A, C, E, B, Choline, B12, and Folic Acid.
#4 Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner
- OVERSTYLED? - Give damaged, over-processed hair a miracle makeover with the HASK Keratin Protein Smoothing Collection designed to restore, revive and strengthen parched, frizzy locks
- INFUSED WITH HYDROLYZED KERATIN - Reducing frizz and blocking humidity, this shampoo gently cleanses, leaving even the most unruly hair soft and revitalized with incredible shine
- SUPER STRENGTH - Keratin works to coat the hair shaft, reducing split ends and improving the hair’s appearance and manageability
BEST FOR: Weak, Damaged Hair
I like to use this mask immediately after bleaching. The product can be really repairing but may cause a little bit of color fading so if you have color-treated hair, I would not use it immediately after coloring. It’s also pretty unique as it is free of alcohol and gluten. Keratin is used in a lot of reparative treatments because it is the fibrous protein that makes up most hair. This mask gives you the ability to apply the protein directly in your hair as well as collagen and coconut oil.
#5 Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lavender Mint Deep Conditioning Hair Mask
- Helps strengthen and hydrate moisture-starved hair.
- French clay deep conditions with restorative minerals.
- Apply to damp, towel-dried hair. Rinse after 5-15 minutes. For best results, use 1-2 times weekly.
BEST FOR: Itchy scalp, dandruff, dry hair
I’ve been eyeing this mask because it’s gotten really good ratings from a number of sites. Plus, Paul Mitchell is a really high-end brand that I’ve seen featured in specialty stores like Ulta. Nothing really beats the scent of lavender, but I was mainly interested in this product for the Tea tree. Tea tree oil is great as a gentle cleanser, so this would be good for people with sensitive scalps.
#6 Amika Soulfood Nourishing Mask
BEST FOR: All Hair Types
This is a great vegan alternative that is dense with vitamins. All of Amika’s products are saturated in Vitamins A, C, and E and promote collagen production. Their main ingredient is Sea Buckthorn because of the protein-building amino acids present in it.
#7 It’s a 10 Miracle Hair Mask
BEST FOR: Hair with Chemical and Heat Damage
This is another mask that utilizes keratin and almond oil in its conditioning treatment. Highly moisturizing and viscous, this mask leaves a wonderful Apricot scent in your hair which also gives the added benefit of Vitamin A and antioxidants.
#8 Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask
- An intensive weekly treatment to restore essential hydration and enhance hair’s resilience and strength.
- It is cruelty-free, color-safe
- Safe for use on chemically-treated, relaxed, and keratin-treated hair
BEST FOR: Dull, thin hair
Like Keratin, Biotin is a protein that can greatly strengthen your hair. This mask includes Biotin, Aloe, Almond Oil, and Argan Oil. The mix also includes Rosehip Oil which softens your scalp and aids with frizziness and shine.
#9 DevaCurl Melt into Moisture Matcha Butter Conditioning Mask
- MELT INTO MOISTURE HAIR MASK: The Moisture Mask rehydrates natural curls that are extremely dry, brittle, or tangled. This luxurious, creamy mask provides deep conditioning hydration that can be used once a week, or as needed. This mask works on wavy, curly, and super curly hair textures.
- HYDRATES DRY, BRITTLE HAIR: The DevaCurl Conditioning Mask immerses curls in moisture without weighing them down. This intensely moisturizing treatment is formulated with matcha butter, sweet almond oil, and beetroot extract that rehydrates curls so they look shiny and feel silky-soft.
- HOW TO USE: For a quick moisture boost, apply this mask after cleansing your hair and leave in for 3 minutes. For more intense hydration, cover with a plastic cap for 15-20 minutes, with or without heat. For maximum moisture, leave on overnight. Rinse thoroughly. Use once a week or as needed.
BEST FOR: Wavy, Curly, Coily hair
Matcha has become a new trend in hair care due to the ingredient panthenol, something used often in haircare products that aids in keeping the follicle moisturized. I like the combination of Matcha with Almond Oil in this product as I think it creates a light, airy fragrance. I think this product would work wonders in terms of smoothing and helping frizz!
#10 Macadamia Professional Nourishing Moisture Masque Hair Mask
- Gives you strong and stylish hair
- For al hair types
- Paraben free formula
BEST FOR: Medium to Coarse textures
I think Macadamia creates the most wonderful smell based on the other hair products I’ve purchased that had it. It also helps to fight against breakage and dryness from overly processing your hair. This product is vegan AND color-safe, which can be a big selling point for many people, but it also offers a lot of nourishment and moisture!